This One is Just Gonna Be a Driver, I Swear! - Vintage Mustang Forums
 9Likes

post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

This One is Just Gonna Be a Driver, I Swear!

Alright, it's about time. I finally have another old car. It's been a LOOONNGG time since I've had one I could drive daily. Like, 20 years long. I've had some projects since then, but never something I could just get in and drive. If you are interested in how I got to this point, check out my first thread here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...-66-coupe.html So what am I starting with? Well, it's a 66 coupe, pretty much rust free, with a couple of dents here and there. It's white with blue interior, and is pretty well optioned. P/S, P/B, V8, A/C, console, etc. Here's the build tag:

And here she is:

So here are the plans as of right now.
1) Seatbelts, like yesterday. 3 point in all four seats.
2) Sort out the steering, She's a little wayword at speed.
3) Brakes. Dual master is a must. I will do front discs at the same time.
4) Headliner and Windshield. I'm not sure if I'll hold off until paint, as I already have all of the stuff to do these.
5) A/C, I still need to sort out what I'm going to use.
6) Paint. Hmmm, what color will I go with? It won't be white.

So the car came with a BUNCH of extras. Here is a list off the top of my head.
1) Windshield- an original Ford unit, not a repop.
2) 4 new hubcaps, also REAL Ford pieces.
3) Original intake. It has a performer and 1406 carb on it right now. I runs great though.
4) All factory a/c parts

Here's what's been done so far: It has new(ish) interior, minus the headliner. Engine and trans just rebuilt. (I have receipts from the shop that did the work.)
Caper50, subpar63 and image98 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 09:51 PM

Congrats on the new coupe, it sounds very nice.

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Looks nice 👍

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thatís a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 09:58 PM

Sounds like you have a good plan. Do the Shelby Arning drop on the upper control arms and add some caster for the steering. And ditch or at least hide the rear speakers!

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 10:04 PM

I'm actually really partial to white with blue interior. I'd say it's actually the best exterior color for that interior. Mix in a subtle blue accent on the outside like a C stripe or pinstripe or rocker stripe and you've got a great Shelby-esque look.
BlakeTX and RoushGal like this.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
Sounds like you have a good plan. Do the Shelby Arning drop on the upper control arms and add some caster for the steering. And ditch or at least hide the rear speakers!
You should see what's in the trunk. 2 12" subs in a monster of a box! Stereo is in the glove box. And it will ALL be on Craigslist this weekend. It's ridiculous. The owner before the PO installed all that crap.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66_champ View Post
I'm actually really partial to white with blue interior. I'd say it's actually the best exterior color for that interior. Mix in a subtle blue accent on the outside like a C stripe or pinstripe or rocker stripe and you've got a great Shelby-esque look.
I would have to agree! Here's a picture of our first mustang around 1995.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mustang.jpg (90.4 KB, 70 views)

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 03:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Looks clean...

I'd leave the White paint....until you get some serious driving out of it first...

Why not enjoy the car with the driver paint?? - Then re-paint the car...

Not too many other paint colors go with blue interiors other than blue!!..unless you change the interior color...

I would just enjoy the car as-is for now before making any big decisions....

Just my advice... You may be surprised and may decide to just keep what you have...

Tony K.

)

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!

Last edited by NEFaurora; 03-15-2018 at 08:50 AM.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 07:40 AM

Very very nice . Congrats on finding a good one
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Well, step 1a is done. I took it down to get it tagged, registered, etc. I didn't want to have to get collector plates, so I tried to get it through emissions. It failed. So collector plates it will be. But it is now officially mine (and my wife's). But... it got pretty warm when they were testing it. Then it warmed up a little when sitting at lights. Seems like I am going to fight the same overheating issue everyone else gets to. Now I need to choose if I'm going to try to figure out why, or just go nuclear. Big rad, big fan, etc. I think I may start with either a 160 degree, or no t-stat. And then go from there. I plan on putting the AC back together, so it's important I get this thing running pretty cool.
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 08:40 AM

I was surprised to read that Colorado required your Mustang to be emissions tested. So I looked up the Colorado registration requirements. Parts of Colorado have really tough requirements and the state in general tows a tough line with vehicle registration. I'm glad my car doesn't live or work in that state.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 09:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Depending on where you live in Colorado....You said Denver.....That is a relatively high elevation....You may need different carb jetting for the car to run at it optimal performance....just a suggestion...

You have a regular 289cid, not a 428cid...so cooling with a stock engine should not be an issue. Just use a regular 180 Hi-Flow tri-bar Robertshaw or Mr. Gasket thermostat. You should never run without a thermostat...and a 160 thermostat is not necessary in Denver.

At the worst, I would opt for a High Flow water pump and a aluminum radiator that fits in the stock opening. Electric fans ARE NOT necessary with a 289 in Denver..

Don't waste money and install parts that you don't have to... You have a wonderful nice classic mustang, Don't go nuts on it when it's already a beautiful original car. Most people would kill to have a car as original as yours. I don't think that you realize what you already have.

See how the car runs as-is first before doing anything drastic..

When people buy a classic mustang, they usually have all these ideas in their heads of things that they want to do, but then reflect back later on that it was counterproductive and sometimes was a waste of money that actually detracted and decreased the value of the car and was totally not necessary in the first place.....so before "diving in"....see how well everything operates first.

)

Tony K.
4ocious likes this.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!

Last edited by NEFaurora; 03-15-2018 at 09:09 AM.
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 09:35 AM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
Plus one on what Tony said. You should seriously consider keeping or returning (where needed) that back to original. It's your car of course, so you can do as you please, but it will seem to many of us at VMF you've got an opportunity here you may not fully realize.

I read your Subie 6cyl. into an old Forester saga. My wife had a new FOS 5spd when they first came out. She put a bajillion miles on "Black Beauty" and really liked it.

post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 11:36 AM

Garage
I'd leave it white too! If nothing else but to be cooler in the hot months.

KenA..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, Maryland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page