66 T Code - T is for Transformation - Page 31 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 527Likes

post #451 of 577 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
What Iím understanding is if I buy the 6008 rotors, longer studs and mount them to my disc hubs in back astge original 11Ē rotors were and drill out the threads I could use SoT caliper brackets and be done with it?.
I believe you are correct. You may have to mill the calipers where they mount to the bracket (it's "as cast") since they mount to the opposite side from original. I can take pictures if you don't understand what I mean,

Sounds like you will be able to do the conversion on the "cheap" which of course is determined by how much you pay for spindles, hubs and rotors...

Let us know how it turns out!

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 577 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the info about milling the calipers. Iíll have to check the ones I have.

Itís not a big priority for me. The stock 72 discs are performing fine for my current use. Less unsprung weight too.
Turnall likes this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #453 of 577 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Just getting in from a long day but couldn't wait to try on the hats, rotors and spacers. Everything fits as should and you can see in the 3rd picture I will have to use some shims to get the rotor centered, as expected. The spacers are a tight fit on my hubs as also expected.

The one thing that was a little unexpected is the hats and rotors are shipped as two parts and are not together with the safety wiring in place. I'm sure this is done for you in the full kits so I wanted to point it out that it's not when ordering just the hats, rotors and spacers without the full kit.

Cheers, long day but glad to see everything fits. I'll be calling Shaun to order the pads and brake lines...not sure why I didn't with the rotors and hats, I guess I like keeping the freight companies in business...

Allen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66-159.jpg (262.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 66-160.jpg (278.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 66-161.jpg (310.3 KB, 11 views)

post #454 of 577 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

The pictures show the rotors centered in the calipers and the thickness of the shim/washer I had to use to get them centered. It took the same for both sides...

I need to $.80 to my total...

Allen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66-162.jpg (289.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 66-163.jpg (304.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 66-164.jpg (326.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 66-165.jpg (319.0 KB, 8 views)

post #455 of 577 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:34 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Pretty....

Regards,
Patrick
post #456 of 577 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:52 PM

Those look fantastic. Makes me wish I would have stepped up to the big boy brakes on mine. What's the offset on the rotors?
post #457 of 577 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gikort View Post
Those look fantastic. Makes me wish I would have stepped up to the big boy brakes on mine. What's the offset on the rotors?
Not sure. I can measure tomorrow. @Shaun probably knows off the top of his head.

Allen

post #458 of 577 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gikort View Post
Hope this helps...

Allen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66-166.jpg (292.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 66-167.jpg (243.0 KB, 8 views)
gikort likes this.

post #459 of 577 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:10 PM

Thanks for posting all this info Allen. One aspect I could never determine was how the offset of the 6008 rotor mounted on the back of the hub vs the aftermarket hat and rotor mounted on the outside. I was wondering if there were two different offsets possibly in the bracket. The other thing I wondered. The 6008 rotor is a little bit smaller in diameter too, about 5/16Ē Iím thinking and how that effects pad contact. I never even thought about the spacer for the aftermarket hat and rotor to center it on the hub. Great job!

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #460 of 577 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
Thanks for posting all this info Allen. One aspect I could never determine was how the offset of the 6008 rotor mounted on the back of the hub vs the aftermarket hat and rotor mounted on the outside. I was wondering if there were two different offsets possibly in the bracket. The other thing I wondered. The 6008 rotor is a little bit smaller in diameter too, about 5/16Ē Iím thinking and how that effects pad contact. I never even thought about the spacer for the aftermarket hat and rotor to center it on the hub. Great job!
Tom, thanks for the reply. I can only think that the offset is the same between the 6008 rotor mounted to the back of the hub to the hat and rotor mounted on the outside. Just adds up but I was not able to check the 6008 rotors because of the hubs I bought. I think the bracket remains the same which would prove that theory (I've only seen one bracket on any of the well known sites).

I too wondered about the difference in diameter. I hope someone (and maybe I will at a later date) can compare the two.

Kudos to Street or Track on the spacer. It fit like a glove to the hub and the hat. It's beveled so you can start it on the hub and it's a tight fit.

In the end, I caved a bit and spent the extra money for the hats, rotors and spacers. I only say this because I think this can be done cheaper with the route you have taken. The one thing that I find you can't get away from cost wise is/are the brackets. That's ~20% of the cost of this conversion.

Allen
Huskinhano likes this.

post #461 of 577 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 07:42 AM
Supporting Vendor

Looking good Allen!

You'll need to spot face the mounting ears of the calipers. As you've found out they mount on the opposite side which has a cast surface. You'll need to make this flat and parallel to the brake rotor.

We also machine off the ridge on the front side of the caliper. You may find left untouched it will interfere with your wheel:

Turnall likes this.
post #462 of 577 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 07:46 AM
Supporting Vendor

post #463 of 577 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Picked up the block today. The crank has been 0 balanced, rods and pistons are mated, the block has been honed to the pistons and rings and the work will begin soon.

A pile of parts right now, hopefully to become a monster.

Allen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66-168.jpg (462.1 KB, 10 views)
Israel, Caper50, subpar63 and 4 others like this.

post #464 of 577 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

The machine shop installed the piston pins and spiral locks.

I have to do the rings (I think this is a bit tight...lol). According to the guideline, I should be about .022" on the top rings. I will file each ring to spec and mark it for the cylinder. I need to find a good ring filer...

Allen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66-169.jpg (284.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 66-170.jpg (165.5 KB, 4 views)

post #465 of 577 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Had some time this evening to tap out the block holes...I'm one that doesn't subscribe to the "thread chaser" theory instead of a tap.

I had two broke oil pan bolts and decided to use a broken punch to try and unscrew them. I found that it was simply black silicone in the holes...SCORE!

Allen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66-171.jpg (312.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 66-172.jpg (371.0 KB, 5 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page