66 T Code - T is for Transformation - Page 38 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 527Likes

post #556 of 577 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

After doing some research, the center holes are actually exhaust crossover and really aren't needed in my application of this engine. Also, the 1250S3 gaskets are "steel core laminate with coating" and will suffice to "block off" the exhaust crossover.

I'm going to roll with the 1250S3's...

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #557 of 577 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

So I got the 2nd timing cover bolt kit in and now I have all the bolts needed. @patrickstapler had told me that he had to buy two kits to get all the bolts he needed for his. I kind of chuckled under my breathe, goof can't even order the right bolt kit for his timing cover! WRONG! Maybe I should start trusting him a little more. It takes TWO kits to get all the bolts you need for the timing cover. Part number ARP-154-3202 is one set. Can't find the other number but will post it tomorrow.

It may be a little more apparent in the pictures that the push rods came in as well. Jesel says to make sure you don't have to adjust the rocker to push rod more than two rounds. Well 1 1/4 rounds get them tight, so when I do set the lash I will be within Jesels specifications with the push rods I ordered. Part number CCA-7634-16.

I'll set the lash and and install the intake...

Allen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66-275.jpg (457.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 66-276.jpg (464.0 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Turnall; 05-29-2019 at 09:46 PM.
post #558 of 577 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 12:47 AM

Coming together nicely!! Thats one sexy oil pan too..

post #559 of 577 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

The other bolt kit number is ARP-154-1504.

Allen

post #560 of 577 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

This evening I got the shaft rockers torqued down. The process was as follows:

1. I took one rocker set at a time loose and put the high pressure lube on the push rod end.
2. Then used ARP molly on the bolts (they are not ARP but Jesel has specs for using ARP molly), torquing to 21 lbs.
3. I then wanted to set the lash on the rockers and can't find the specs to do so. I'll find the answer.

Allen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66-277.jpg (346.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 66-278.jpg (314.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 66-279.jpg (431.0 KB, 7 views)

post #561 of 577 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

.018" Intake and .020" Exhaust right on the cam card. Thanks @patrickstapler!!

Allen

post #562 of 577 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

I have to back up a bit. Talked with Mark tonight and I need to soak my 817-16 lifters in oil (solid lifters) before I try and set the lash. I will take the valve train apart in the am and soak the lifters... By valve train, I mean take the rockers back off, pull the push rods and lifters and soak the lifters.

Allen

Last edited by Turnall; 05-30-2019 at 11:02 PM.
post #563 of 577 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Installed the lifters as seen on the video.

Installed the push rods (all with the Comp Cams number and writing in the same directions, don't ask). I coated each push rod top with the extreme pressure lube from Jesel.

I installed the shaft rockers and torqued them to spec making sure that the push rods were down before tightening and torquing the bolts (Jesel warns not to tightening the shaft rockers down with the lifters in the up position).

Then I started on the #1 cylinder and just when the exhaust valve started to open, I set the lash on the intake (.018").

Next came the exhaust, I got the intake valve fully open and adjusted the lash on the exhaust valve (.020").

I did each cylinder like this in order of firing (351W firing order).

After completion, I now realize i will probably have to do it all again (at least twice more) as I have not pulled the inner springs for break-in...

Practice makes...one tired...

Allen

post #564 of 577 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

So made the trip to Hallet. @patrickstapler and @silverblueBP are here as well. A special thanks to Mark for setting up a ride with Dan and his vintage racer. We did about 15 minutes on the track and I cannot describe the exhilaration that I felt. These guys are nothing short of incredible. Dan is one helluva driver and he has one helluva car.

When you can drive a car, wound out, pushing who knows how many rpms and how fast we're going, straight at a corner, with a car in front of you, and down shift at the last second all in unison with absolutely standing on the brake only to get within 6" of the car in front of you, all the while having the mindset to know that you have to make this hard left/right and then slam the throttle to pull side by side with the guy that was in front of you, either passing him or getting beat by a fender into the next corner and doing it all again for a solid 15 minutes without as much as even scaring your passenger (me) after the first lap because you made him (me) feel so comfortable in the car that I truly, knew I was in good hands, you sir, are, in a word, incredible. Dan told me he could listen to my accent all day, well I could ride with him in his race car all day. IMPRESSED!!

If that's a run on sentence, or you can't make heads or tails of it, I don't give a damn. If you had been in my shoes today, you would know just how incredible a ride that was.

Thank you Dan, I'm indebted. I'm also indebted to Mark and Patrick who have turned me on to this. If I never ride again, let it be known that I had the ride of my life today.

Allen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66-280.jpg (233.6 KB, 8 views)

post #565 of 577 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:16 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnall View Post
So made the trip to Hallet. @patrickstapler and @silverblueBP are here as well. A special thanks to Mark for setting up a ride with Dan and his vintage racer. We did about 15 minutes on the track and I cannot describe the exhilaration that I felt. These guys are nothing short of incredible. Dan is one helluva driver and he has one helluva car.

When you can drive a car, wound out, pushing who knows how many rpms and how fast we're going, straight at a corner, with a car in front of you, and down shift at the last second all in unison with absolutely standing on the brake only to get within 6" of the car in front of you, all the while having the mindset to know that you have to make this hard left/right and then slam the throttle to pull side by side with the guy that was in front of you, either passing him or getting beat by a fender into the next corner and doing it all again for a solid 15 minutes without as much as even scaring your passenger (me) after the first lap because you made him (me) feel so comfortable in the car that I truly, knew I was in good hands, you sir, are, in a word, incredible. Dan told me he could listen to my accent all day, well I could ride with him in his race car all day. IMPRESSED!!

If that's a run on sentence, or you can't make heads or tails of it, I don't give a damn. If you had been in my shoes today, you would know just how incredible a ride that was.

Thank you Dan, I'm indebted. I'm also indebted to Mark and Patrick who have turned me on to this. If I never ride again, let it be known that I had the ride of my life today.

Allen

I’m jealous, Allen. Sounds like a blast! Where did you go? I’m guessing that gorgeous car is Dan’s? Who is Dan?

67 Fastback S Code, Brittany Blue

Work in progress
post #566 of 577 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder17 View Post
Iím jealous, Allen. Sounds like a blast! Where did you go? Iím guessing that gorgeous car is Danís? Who is Dan?
Shelby American meet in Tulsa, Oklahoma. They have track days at Hallet Motor Racing Circuit. The vintage guys have about 12-15 cars here and they have a session where there can be "ride-alongs". If you are in Group 1, you can take a passenger out anytime. I got to go out with one of the vintage guys named Dan (I'll get his last name tomorrow) that Mark (silverblueBP) is good friends with. We had one guy in front of us (another one of the vintage driver's who is equally as good) and the game was on. After about 3-4 laps, we had caught the other cars which made for even more traffic, braking, pedal to the metal racing but a little more cautious (don't let that make you think we were on a bicycle at this point). It was incredible, absolutely incredible.

Mark had told me, "Allen, this not NASCAR!" before I went out. When the session was over, he said, "I told you it's not NASCAR, it's better!!" He was right...

That gorgeous car is Dan's and every one of the Vintage cars there are gorgeous as well...more pictures to come.

Allen
subpar63 likes this.

post #567 of 577 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:19 AM

Yeah, racing is quite a rush ! I remember a bystander talking near my parents ( a PDX guy ) saying I was being a A-hole for following too close entering a turn. I was dicing and swapping the lead with another Formula Ford ! I always wanted to go back and explain it to him: If we didn't touch, I gave him enough room. Some "track day" guys just don't understand wheel-to-wheel racing. Hell, my mentor used to brag when he got a tire scuff from rubbing another car.
Turnall and myfirstcar66 like this.

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #568 of 577 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

A few more of the Vintage race cars at Hallett.

Allen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hallet4.jpg (581.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Hallet1.jpg (597.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Hallet2.jpg (573.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Hallet3.jpg (551.6 KB, 11 views)

post #569 of 577 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:00 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnall View Post
A few more of the Vintage race cars at Hallett.

Allen
Those are some nice looking cars. Does Mark have a thread on his car? It looks bada$$

67 Fastback S Code, Brittany Blue

Work in progress
post #570 of 577 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder17 View Post
Who is Dan?
Dan Riley. One helluva nice guy. I just met him before riding with him on the track. He's a friend of Marks and Mark got me the ride (thanks!!). Told me he was a good driver and I concur!!

Allen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page