66 T Code - T is for Transformation - Page 40 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 542Likes

post #586 of 589 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 11:24 AM

Garage
66 T Code - T is for Transformation

[quote=Turnall;10237938]
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblueBP View Post

WAIT, is that a glove box door I see in your car?

What dash panel do you have (CA)?

Allen

Yep. Full interior too. I race with class! The gauge panel is just a cheap plastic pc painted to resemble the original. Canít remember where I got it, but it was a long time VMFer.

Mark

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #587 of 589 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Did a little today before the Auburn game...

Allen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66-284.jpg (272.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 66-285.jpg (198.6 KB, 8 views)

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
post #588 of 589 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Back to the engine. I was told the springs that were on the heads that I bought (World Product (WP) Windsor Sr.) were Crane 99838. I emailed Dimitri (Dema) Elgin (who custom made the cam) to see if i could break in the engine with the dampers left in the springs or if i needed to remove them or possibly even use different springs. So in his response, he asks about seat pressure and open pressure. DUH...I don't have a clue but set about finding out. Well one of the things you have to know to get open pressure (the seat pressure is usually given with the springs and is determined by installed height and spring rate) is the installed height. So I decided to measure it to make sure. The installed height of my valves is 1.800" but the springs I was told I had have a seat pressure determined by an installed height of 1.650"..UH OH. So I figure it's best to just get new springs so I know what I have and can give Dema the data needed. I look up the correct springs for the WP heads which are supposed to have an install height of 1.800" and set about getting the numbers needed. Now my biggest fear was that the cam had been ground based on the 1.650" installed height given and that this was going to turn everything upside down and that I would need a new cam. After talking with Dema, he said the 1.800" height would be fine.

The data I gave him is still not spot on as I told him the seat pressure would 125#, installed height is 1.800" and open pressure would be 311#. I had already ordered the springs from Bill Mitchell Products but later found they are no longer available. After talking to Bill, we determined that the new available springs were slightly different, but they are on the way.

The new numbers are 140# seat pressure, 1.800" installed height and 323# open pressure. The new springs are double springs with dampers so I will remove the inner spring for break-in.

If nothing else, I'm learning how to calculate some things I never even knew needed calculating...

Allen
silverblueBP likes this.

post #589 of 589 (permalink) Old Today, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

I got the unknown springs off of one side this evening. Still waiting on the new springs. Once the new springs are in, the intake will go on...

Allen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66-286.jpg (469.7 KB, 2 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page