The early mustang, 62 comet? - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 21Likes

post #31 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 09:08 AM

Definitely paint first. If you ever get high humidity, rained in etc. you want some protection of that metal. The material may be water proof but I guarantee you moister can get through seams etc.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Had another thought the other day.

How about a waste oil coating, every couple years even?

Reason I thought of it is because I use it on some of our trucks. I have tried a bunch of different things on our trucks over the years including por-15 and chassis saver. The thing that seems to work the best and I will be going back to it for all our trucks from now on is waste oil from the diesels. Undercoat and let drip for a couple days. Kills rust, keeps metal from rusting, it creeps, and is free.

This would just be for the insides of the frame sections. The outside will all be painted. I think without getting direct road wash and not a real lot of water running threw the frames the oil should stay for a long time.

I got the kbs spray gun with wand:

I ran some water threw it to see the spray pattern and whatnot. Seems like it will work well. I can spray any fluid out of it.

Some visual, thanks to fords excellent filter location on their OBS trucks the whole front diff and cross member gets an oil coating every oil change. Look how nice the frame stays when oil covered all the time.

The only reasons I worry about any sort of paint is if there is a spot where the paint ends (or even a pinhole in the paint) water will get in behind the paint and rust from the back side and we all know how fast rust travels when covered (under paint).

Andy

68 Coupe about to be pulled from the cob webs.

65 Coupe 302 AOD - sold
post #33 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Got started on the other connector today, had to work between other distractions.

Patch, the holes will just get welded shut. I plan to make up new mounts for the mustang seats.

I will have to order some seam sealer. I am wondering if I should put seam sealer over the welds along the connectors, both for aesthetic reasons and to seal the welds better from moister. Or just paint over them is plenty?

Andy

65 Coupe 302 AOD - sold

post #34 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 06:00 AM

Paint and Seam seal.
post #35 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Welded in the passenger side connector today. Then cut out the tunnel.

I will be keeping this section, it is done alright and seems to be 'enlarged' for a bigger trans already. I will be trimming it up cleaner, this is just a rough cut.

Current state pic. Passenger frame boxed in and connect fully welded in.

The tunnel, you can see the many patches on top of patches to make up the tunnel shape. Again places seem cut and stretched to accommodate a bigger trans.

The cross member was cut out at one time. Then replaced really well.

There was only one spot weld holding what was left of the cross member to what was left of the tunnel. Once I popped the cross member out there was a more recent patch in a perfect shape for a shifter to pass threw and in about the right spot.

So Its got me to wondering if there was a V8 with a manual in this car already at some point. I am going to take a closer look around the pedals to see if there are any signs of another pedal being in there at some point.

Besides some trimming and cleaning I think I am finally at the point where I quit going backwards. The next step right now is the cross member. I will use the chunk I saved out of the tunnel for a general template for the new one. Looking up specs it seems the aod and c4 are close in length from flange to mount, I believe only 5/8-3/4" difference. So I guess I will keep the new cross member in the same place as the old one, just better and a little more clearance.
Huntingky likes this.

Andy

65 Coupe 302 AOD - sold
post #36 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Had a little bit of time today. Whipped up the cross member. Installed plates and nuts for the trans mount. Should be ready to just drop into the car, weld, and raise car to finish off the mount. We'll see how that goes.

Andy

65 Coupe 302 AOD - sold
post #37 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

93f and humid out today, luckily my shop stays a bit cooler for most of the day (until I open the doors for welding).

I forgot the most important thing on the cross member, exhaust cutouts. Caught it when I was measuring for the placement of the cross member.

Got the cross member welded in on top and was able to lift the car and finish all the welds here and there I needed to get to from the bottom. Ran out of time and came in for supper. I'll have to finish the temporary trans mount to hold up the C4 another day. Had to cut the exhaust because it was now in the way of the trans mount bolts. One step forward, another one back...

2nd 66 likes this.

Andy

65 Coupe 302 AOD - sold
post #38 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 08:37 PM

After looking at all you are doing on your '62, I am thinking that I may be able to build up the nerve to pull my '63 Comet project out from under the tarp on the side of the house. With a lot of work, it could be a cool driver. I'm enjoying watching your progress.
post #39 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I hope you find inspiration! Life is to short to wait to long to get a project going. I know I can't get it all done at once with any car so I make it a point to only do one thing at a time and keep the car drive-able. I made a pact with myself that I will have this car in a driving state every summer. This project is the biggest with the car yet, something that should be done over a winter but I ran out of time this last winter. I hope to have it back together and driving again within a few weeks. I am trying to make a car show in the town I bought the car from years ago in hopes of meeting the original owner. The show is June 23rd.

Andy

65 Coupe 302 AOD - sold
post #40 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Made up a trans mount today. Its got wings! Its not pretty but like I said, its just temporary to hold up the I6 and C4 this summer. Hopefully by next spring its a pretty mount holding up an AOD.

Oh yeah, I threw in a filler tube between the muffler and what was left of the downpipe. Stepped it up from the 1.75"ish tube that was on there before to a full 2" exhaust! That 170 is going to breath easy now!

I put the car back on the ground. Just have to put sheet metal back in it now and seal her up. Oh, and seat mounts!
Huntingky likes this.

Andy

65 Coupe 302 AOD - sold
post #41 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Couldn't get to it yesterday. Today I started in on the floor pans, finally. Lots and lots of bending, cutting, notching, bending more, and more, to finally get these pans to fit half way decent. I got the one toe pan in and started on the floor pan. I have it mostly screwed in and ready to weld, just a few more adjustments first.

Andy

65 Coupe 302 AOD - sold
post #42 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Welded in the drivers side pans yesterday. Before turning the car around and starting in on the passenger side I started looking at the seat mount right away on the drivers side. Looks like I can get away with an easy flat mount on the front of each slide rail. The rear will need standoffs on each side though.

I ma thinking of welding a cap with a nut on a short section of pipe, then cut a hole in the floor the size of the pipe, then weld the short section of pipe into the floor. The rear of the seat rails would sit on top of the pipe and just a bolt threw the rail into the nut in the pipe. The tallest pipe section would be the ones on the tunnel side of the seat. Those would only be 3/4" stand off the floor.

Andy

65 Coupe 302 AOD - sold
post #43 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

I put the rails on a seat and mocked it up in the car for some test sitting. After many times of moving the seat and testing I found the spot. I had to cut drill out the rivets for the front mounts on the rails and make new ones. They do need a tweak yet to get them flat, I built them before I was done moving the seat. Thats where my idea of the pipe in the last post changed. After welding in a 16g pad for the one side (already 16g on the other) I found I liked how the seat sat with the rear rail mounts flat on the floor. No pipe needed. I do have to cut out nice round 1/4 thick washers for the tunnel side seat rail, I have a square chunk in there for now.

I was able to turn the car around then and get ready for the passenger side.

Andy

65 Coupe 302 AOD - sold
post #44 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Didn't snap a pic but the passenger side is finally welded in. Just go back and look at the drivers side and imagine it flipped.

Next is the trans tunnel. Unfortunately I have to store the car for a week or two as I have customer cars coming in this week.

Andy

65 Coupe 302 AOD - sold
post #45 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 11:43 AM

Looks like it's going to have a pretty strong chassis

Project 487 Super Snake - '67 Shelby GT500 Pro Touring Beast

487cu FE Idling with X-Force Varex Mufflers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page