The early mustang, 62 comet? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 21Likes

post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

The early mustang, 62 comet?

I bought this car as a half finished project. I actually bought it so I would have an "old car" to enjoy so I can take my time on my 68 stang build.

The Comet is a bare bones 160 I6 car. It originally had a 2 speed trans and a worn out I6 that ran but knocked, smoked, and leaked. I swapped (what I thought was a 200) I6 from my 68 mustang along with its 3 speed trans into the comet. After pulling the "200" I quickly realized it as well was a 160, someone must have swapped it into the stang at some point in its life. Oh well, the comet is just a driver and I just needed a decent drivetrain.

After the swap over, my son is pleased with it:

After a few meets and car show cruises with the family my daughter says she wants the Comet to sound like a the other cars (V8). How can I argue with that?

So I have a donor truck with a 351 that our family has owned since new and I know is a great motor. But the Comet needs some love before it gets a new heart.

The Comet has been patched up pretty roughly under its skin. The first I need to address is the front floor pans. The previous owner replaced both sides but with his own made up flat steel with some lousy bends and even lousier welds. The drivers side toe board isn't even connected to the frame rail! I plan to cut it all out and replace the pans and toe boards.

Now I have mustang buckets in this car, I saw someone mention that the newer 65-70 mustang floor can fit in this car, then the seat risers would match the seats. But that is more work than I want to put into this car and money. I figure if I just replace the pan and tow board I can make up my own seat mounts and save both time and money. However there are so many places a guy can get pans from and prices are all over. Anyone have some input on good pans that won't break the bank? I found this place that looks to have nice pans and reasonable prices, anyone have any experience with them? https://www.c2cfabrication.com/colle...con-floor-pans

I use this car as a daily driver in summer so when I start work I would like to have everything ready and get the floors done and the car ready to drive again asap. The motor swap will have to wait for winter, I have to prep the motor anyhow. The other thing I will be doing and is part of the floor work is a mustang 2 front suspension with rack and pinion. That part I plan to get done just before dropping the V8 in. Right now just floors.

If you guys don't mind the comet and this thread can stay I will update with progress pics as I get stuff done. There will be a lull here for a bit while I gather pieces though.

Here are a few pics of the car as it is now.

Yes it is dirty, did I mention I use this car in summer?

Huntingky, Caper50 and Grimbrand like this.

Andy

68 Coupe about to be pulled from the cob webs.

65 Coupe 302 AOD - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 10:10 AM

Nice car. I think there is room for this on the build forum. Some one had a Comet on here a year or two ago.
Israel and Huntingky like this.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowseeker View Post
Now I have mustang buckets in this car, I saw someone mention that the newer 65-70 mustang floor can fit in this car, then the seat risers would match the seats. But that is more work than I want to put into this car and money.
Quote:
I will be doing and is part of the floor work is a mustang 2 front suspension with rack and pinion.
How is a new floorpan too much time and money but a MII suspension with R&P is not?
I'd do the floorpan and forget the MII steering.
Huntingky and Feethurt like this.

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 10:46 AM

That's cool, My wife has a 64 Comet with the Rod and Custom MII and a 408W that has been under restoration in our shop for the last 20 years.
Huntingky and gt350sr like this.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Welcome to the board,...post away, Ill be following.

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thats a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 01:24 PM

Love the early comets. Looking forward to more on yours!
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 03:18 PM

Entertain us with the build...Comets are cousins to Falcons and Falcons are cousins to Mustangs.....and NO, I don't like cousins just cause I live in rural Kentucky!
gt350sr, 68Hildago and DoTheTango like this.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 03:44 PM

It's awesome. I love it. Please post your build progress. (It appears that you have a driver in waiting.)

Project 487 Super Snake - '67 Shelby GT500 Pro Touring Beast

487cu FE Idling with X-Force Varex Mufflers
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I will definitely post as stuff happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
How is a new floorpan too much time and money but a MII suspension with R&P is not?
I'd do the floorpan and forget the MII steering.
My thinking on this is, the rear floor is in a good shape yet and doesn't need replacing. I would be doing it basically for the seat mounts which I can very easily make up over the existing floor.

For the MII front end, rack and pinion steering, IFS, disc brakes, all new ball joints, tie rods, tie rod ends, brakes, ect. (stuff that needs to be replaced anyway) for under a grand. Plus I need the cross member/engine mounts for the 351 swap later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripped View Post
It's awesome. I love it. Please post your build progress. (It appears that you have a driver in waiting.)
Will do! I have a couple drivers coming up. Had my 10yo daughter out in the field driving just the other day. They grow up to fast!

Andy

65 Coupe 302 AOD - sold
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 01:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Cool Comet... I think that you meant 170 cid engine, and not a 160....

I like those wheels too... Pretty rare to see those in 4-lug today... Who made them

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
Cool Comet... I think that you meant 170 cid engine, and not a 160....

I like those wheels too... Pretty rare to see those in 4-lug today... Who made them

)

Tony K.

Yes, 170, my mistake. Too many engines and numbers around here.

The wheels are either one of two things. I bought them listed as Mustang Cobra wheels. When I received them a couple had Nissan center caps in them. I couldn't find any factory marks in them that I remember, there may have been but it has been awhile since I had them off and looked at them. I bought them going only off the measurements, the rear wheelhouses in the comet are annoyingly narrow. However the rear end is in the plans as well but much later after the motor swap and all. The wheels are temporary till the MII front end goes in and eventually the new rear end. I have been on the fence about what bolt pattern to go with on the Comet since I will be changing the axles. But I think I will stick with the ford pattern so when it does come time for the rear end I can just shorten and use a stock Explorer rear. I have narrowed a few of these for people and like them. I have another here in fact to be shortened and mounted in a 2000 Camaro I think. It has an aluminum center chunk, pretty neat.

Andy

65 Coupe 302 AOD - sold
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

I believe these are the wheels.

Andy

65 Coupe 302 AOD - sold
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 08:49 AM

Garage
I had a set similar to them on a '66 coupe with a 6 cyl back in high school. As I recall, they were made by Appliance Wheels and looked like these...

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

I just took a look quick (car is on the hoist) on the way in from work. The Wheels do say SHELBY in the casting.

I am going to order flooring tonight. Might get to work on it some over the weekend or next week.

Andy

65 Coupe 302 AOD - sold
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Floor pans are on the way! I took an extra good look the other day at the floors just to be sure I was getting what I need. Luckily the nonexistent main seal in the last motor undercoated the car good. There are a few extra holes punched in the rear floor from different seats being installed in the car over the years but will weld up fine. I for sure only need the front pans and toe boards. Since it will be all cut out I will most likely fab up a bigger trans tunnel in the forward section so I won't have clearance issues later on with the newer engine/trans swap. I see the 3 speed trans I installed with the mustang engine is already really tight in the tiny comets trans tunnel.

Andy

65 Coupe 302 AOD - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page