Vintage Mustang Forums banner

A Redneck 68 coupe build

53K views 347 replies 40 participants last post by  602Raptor 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I think it's time I document my build. My wife keeps on me about documenting it. I have owned the car since 1994/5 drove it very shortly as it needed floor boards and all new brakes. I had a wide open throttle incident which hurt the 302 that was in it. I pulled the 302 and being a broke teenager the car sat for about a decade. I drug the car from SW MO to Tulsa, then from Tulsa to my current home in central MN. While in Tulsa I tore the car down as far as it would go, welded in new short pans blasted and primed the bottom of the car and one new quarter panel. I accumulated parts along the way as well.

Well one divorce and one big move later I finally have a shop to work on it, most of the tools Ill need and the finances are starting to be there as well. Over the last couple of years I have purchased a lot of parts for it, I have recently discovered more rust under the seat pans so I decided I'd had enough of patching the floor. I actually found a new floor a few hours south of me for about half of the online stores. The wife and I made a weekend trip out of it.

I ordered convertible inner rockers and seat pans for it along with the matching torque boxes. I have a AAW wiring harness for it and all new front suspension with Pacific Thunder strut rods. I recently picked up a good used roof as mine was a vinyl top car.

Last week I dropped off a 351w to get an .030 over bore, cam bearings, freeze plugs etc... Then yesterday I stumbled onto a 351w roller block really cheap so I called the machine shop and told them I wanted to switch blocks but he said he'd just finished decking and boring it but would take that block for the work on it if the roller one was a good block. I am ordering a 393 DSS racing stroker kit for it once I find out what over bore I need. I have a brand new ford motorsport t56 transmission that I have had for over a decade, it is a conversion transmission meaning it has a Windsor bell housing and mechanical speedo. I bought if off ebay for very cheap.
I have an 8.8 rear out of a 06 gt with brakes that I am going to shorten this weekend if everything goes as planned.
My plans for the interior is to use fiero seats and some custom foam and upholstery made for the back seats.

Ill post the pictures I have but they're very random and follow no order.

See less See more
#7 ·
Also I bought a distributor from a guy on FB, he shipped and then I realized it is a TFI distributor and won't work. So then I bought one from tarheels15, a member here that will work. It's just money right. Lol.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Well that was a couple hours wasted. Drove up to look at that roller block only to discover it had a busted rod which destroyed the block. Such is life.

#9 ·
I swung by the machine shop on my way into work today and spoke to him, he says the block looks good and cleaned up with .030 and now I just placed an order from DSS racing for their 393 stroker kit and main girdle. I have to admit my heart is racing. I have had this car for nearly 25 years and have drug it around from state to state always saying "One day Ill fix it up." That day is now, I have the shop, the supportive spouse and some of the money and time. I didn't realize I would have an emotional response to this.

#13 ·
Drug the rear housing out, an 8.8 that I bought from an 06 GT, to take to work with me tonight to take 3.125" out of each side. I'm covering another techs shift tonight and since Saturdays are usually just some preventive maintenance I figured I'd take advantage of the free time. I loaded the rear into my trailer (driving an suv can really suck sometimes) and started to get in but as I walked to the d side door I realized I have a flat. So I had to drive the wife's hybrid to work. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

Reactions: Israel
#16 ·
The post man came bearing gifts today! But they shorted me on the main bearing support and arp studs. They're investigating at the moment.

Reactions: 120mm
#19 ·
Another day, another box of parts. This time it's a flywheel, 4.030 ring compressor, thread chasers, and a crank socket.

I got tickled at my dad when he asked what the crank socket was for and I told him. His reply was "I just use a bolt." I said "What about when you need to go left?" He's reply was "hammer the bolt with the impact a few times and it'll hold." I just shook my head, chuckled and said "I'll spend the 21$ and not destroy my new crank."

#20 ·
Ok I'm going to be assembling my new engine myself, I'm on the fence if I should purchase a bore dial gauge to check bearing clearances or just go with the snap gauges I have. Summit sells a nice setup for about 160$ but it's a tool I'll use once every five years or so. Decisions decisions.

#21 ·
Dropped off the Pistons, rings, and rods at the machine shop. He talked me into balancing it, which I'm shocked he could do because he ships out cranks to be turned. So I gotta take the crank and flywheel by there sometime soon. He sold me a balancer so I wouldn't have to order it. This is the block getting ready to be final bore/honed.

I have to say my wife has been awesome on this. When I called her to let her know there'd be another $350+ out of the check book she just said "no problem."

Reactions: 120mm and Caper50
#24 ·
Another day, another delivery, and I picked up a stand to do body work on from HF. I planned on taking the crank and flywheel in today but had to run down to the cities and didn't get back in time. Oh well maybe tomorrow.

#25 ·
I ordered a bore dial gauge from eBay. I'm gonna take it in to my metrology department at work when it comes in and have them check the calibration. Had them check my craftsman torque wrench and discovered it's 105@100. I didn't think that was to shabby considering it's age and use.

#26 ·
I didn't get to work on the mustang today as winter is on it's way here in the great white North so I had to take our travel trailer to winter storage (the city says it's ugly between dec1 and april1) take down the boys trampoline, and empty the storage unit into our new shed. But I did manage to get the new/used roof and fenders hung up in the new shed. Had to take a picture of it lol.

#27 ·
Dropped the flywheel and crank off at the machine shop for balancing. He said it should be ready in a couple days. Might have to put off my head purchase for a bit, had an unexpected expense snag a big part of that money. Sometimes being a grown-up gets in the way of car builds.[emoji1787][emoji23]

#28 ·
Got my bore gauge last night. Going to take it into our metrology department and have them check it. May swap out the dial for a better one.