Rusty and me: 1966 coupe 5.0 Resto - Page 8 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 131Likes

post #106 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 665spd View Post
The cool part is- in addition to the battery hold down,the factory serpentine bracket would keep the compressor from getting close, like a blocker. All this stuff is a bit of a tight fit in this small engine box!
have you considered trunk mounting the battery ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
have you considered trunk mounting the battery ?
Certainly- Now that many cars (like my wife's challenger) come with remote batteries, the parts could probably be easily scavenged. Probably a next level thing for this low buck build. The target here was to keep the car as factory as possible. I can source factory parts for the 66 or the 88 easily and cheaply for the most part. I really like the look of the fox setup under the hood.

It's just a little rust...

1966 secretary special originally 6cyl 3 spd coupe.

5.0 SEFI complete from 1988 Mustang GT, world class T-5, 9 inch with 3.50 Trac Lok and Shelby style traction bars. Front disk 4 piston calipers and 8cyl manual steering.
Build thread:https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...5-0-resto.html
post #108 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:53 PM

Garage
Hey @665spd! Thanks for taking the time to post this build thread! Very informative.

Curious though, where did you source your various power connections for the EFI harness? I'm a few steps behind you and want to start wiring stuff in. I've identified all the wires on the harness, but curious to know how and where others are tying in? Utilizing any additional relays or protection circuits? Lots of write ups, very few share where they spliced into the car harness?

Thanks so much!

-Rob

An Aussie kid living in LA.....

My '66 Coupe Project Journal

post #109 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
All this stuff is a bit of a tight fit in this small engine box!
Relocating the battery to the trunk (pass. side) would open up some space in the engine bay, as well as improve the balance and corner weighting of the car.
2nd 66 likes this.

69 Cutlass Convertible
post #110 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDraytone View Post
Hey @665spd! Thanks for taking the time to post this build thread! Very informative.

Curious though, where did you source your various power connections for the EFI harness?
(I think only the ign sw run and start outputs?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDraytone View Post
I'm a few steps behind you and want to start wiring stuff in. I've identified all the wires on the harness, but curious to know how and where others are tying in? Utilizing any additional relays or protection circuits? Lots of write ups, very few share where they spliced into the car harness?

Thanks so much!

-Rob
Hey, Rob, sorry for the slow get back. (Up in Cali for vaca!) Welllll…. The factory harness only needs a couple of power and ground connections. If you look back when I was doing the wiring, it was a long matter of reducing the factory harness down to it's needed parts, then I pretty much ran the wires back to the OEM solenoid and ignition switch outputs. I bought a factory ETM from ebay for the 88 Mustang, and pounded it out a wire at a time! If you PM me, when I get back home Thurs, I'll send pics of the particular wires and any wiring diagrams you may need.

Thanks for looking in and the encouragement!
Greg

5.0 SEFI complete from 1988 Mustang GT, world class T-5, 9 inch with 3.50 Trac Lok and Shelby style traction bars. Front disk 4 piston calipers and 8cyl manual steering.

Last edited by 665spd; 04-28-2019 at 01:33 AM.
post #111 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth66 View Post
Relocating the battery to the trunk (pass. side) would open up some space in the engine bay, as well as improve the balance and corner weighting of the car.
Agreed, however, not in the budget for now! And that 2 1/2" exhaust puts a lot of heat back there- running the fuel lines was a pain! One of the main reasons to convert to EFI was I was boiling fuel in the carb. the fuel line was hot all the way back to the tank in the original position.

BTW-I was just in San Jose couple days ago! Saw some cool cars on the freeway!

Last edited by 665spd; 04-28-2019 at 01:40 AM.
post #112 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
BTW-I was just in San Jose couple days ago! Saw some cool cars on the freeway!
Should have reached out... Could maybe have gotten together. Maybe even enlisted your help with my EPAS conversion.
Anyway, I hope you enjoyed your stay.

69 Cutlass Convertible
post #113 of 115 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth66 View Post
Should have reached out...
Wish I had a better knowledge of whom was from where before I went! Unfortunately, events at home dominated my time. The trip was planned and paid before all the personal tragedy Would loved to have rubbed elbows and gotten my hands on a cool car-My step-daughters bf in SF owns a hotrod shop and tragically missed that too. I did get to the Sacramento swap meet and the auto museum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1221.jpg (400.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1222.jpg (308.8 KB, 5 views)
Huskinhano likes this.

post #114 of 115 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:59 AM

Really nice work.

For the benefit of anyone else considering an installation like this, the upper intake can be flipped around 180 so the throttle body is on the driver's side. That's what Ford did on the low-performance 5.0 used in Crown Vics and Grand Marquis. It would help avoid relocating the battery. No telling what other issues might come up, of course.

pollock

Go Mean Green!
post #115 of 115 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollock View Post
Really nice work.

For the benefit of anyone else considering an installation like this, the upper intake can be flipped around 180 so the throttle body is on the driver's side. That's what Ford did on the low-performance 5.0 used in Crown Vics and Grand Marquis. It would help avoid relocating the battery. No telling what other issues might come up, of course.
Thanks for the backhanded compliment! (kidding) One of the previous posters mentioned this. The "5.0 H.O." would have been upside down anyway I like it looks like fox mustang underhood!
pollock likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page