1967 Coupe - TA Inspired Street Car - Vintage Mustang Forums
 13Likes

post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
1967 Coupe - TA Inspired Street Car

Hello everyone, I've been a member now for about a year but have been more or less hiding in the shadows. I thought it might be time to go ahead put myself and my car out there.

I want to start this off with letting you know a little about myself. I first became interested in Mustangs (and cars in general, for that matter) when my grandfather brought home a 1968 Mustang Convertible from an auction when I was around 8 years old. It was red, had a black top, wire wheels, wasn't in fantastic shape, and had an in-line 6cyl and 3speed. My whole life, I never once actually rode in this car, but I sat in it and pretended about once a week.

Fast-forward... I got a Dark Satin Green, Spring Edition 1998 Mustang GT 2V Automatic as my first car at age 15. I made way too many memories to count in that car and it was my daily driver until I was 21. I'm now 23, and about 2 years ago, my grandfather passed away due to multiple bouts with cancer. When they auctioned off everything from his farm, the mustang went too. I wanted nothing more than to buy it, but the money simply wasn't there. It wasn't soon after, that even though I missed the opportunity on getting that car, I had to part with my 1998 GT so that I could begin funding a classic of my own.

Last summer, I found a good deal on a running, driving, 20-footer paint 1967 Mustang Coupe with what I thought was a 289 and a C4 Auto. I drove 3.5hrs to Detroit, MI to meet the owner one weekend and see it for myself. I told him I wanted it but didn't have a truck or trailer, and ended up talking him into an extra $200 for him to deliver it to my house the following week.

Unlike most people into this hobby, I didn't grow up around cars, or doing anything mechanical really. I had only just started changing my own oil, and that was about the extent of my mechanical / maintenance knowledge. I didn't have any tools, not a ton of time, not a ton of money... basically just a dream since I was a kid. So like many people out there, I put reason aside and said "ah, how hard could it be."

I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

1967 C-Code Notchback Coupe - Trans-Am Inspired Street Car, No Experience 1st Timer Budget Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
What Now?

So I took off early from work the following week because the previous owner was delivering the car to my house. He tossed me the keys and I backed it off of the U-Haul trailer... I was smiling ear to ear in disbelief.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4967.jpg (211.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 266.jpg (670.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 262.jpg (532.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 272.jpg (499.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 268.jpg (521.9 KB, 30 views)
Grabber70Mach and rpm like this.

1967 C-Code Notchback Coupe - Trans-Am Inspired Street Car, No Experience 1st Timer Budget Build
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I then drove the car as-is a few different times over the next month or so, while still being extremely cautious because I didn't have much knowledge about any repair work that needed done. Furthest drive was about 10 miles to the BMV so that I could get it registered, never breaking 60mph and wandering from lane to lane.

It was maybe a couple weeks into ownership that the transmission started acting up and not wanting go into gear, and popping out of gear as well. Because of a few mishaps cruising around town, I said "better just put it into the garage..." So I parked it.

Once I started thinking about what I really wanted to do with the car and started planning, I determined that my first big change would be to swap it to a T-5 5speed transmission. Mind you, I had no idea what I was doing, and had never driven stick either. But onward we went.

I acquired a T-5 transmisson, bellhousing, clutch, pressure plate, clutch fork, and shifter from a 1988 Mustang GT on Craigslist. I went with the ModernDriveline Cable Clutch Kit and clutch pedal, new billet flywheel, the cheapest crossmember I could find, and reused the stock C4 driveshaft and yoke (ended up getting shortened 3/4" to fit better), cut to size and reused my automatic brake pedal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4969.jpg (269.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4977.jpg (289.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4968.jpg (338.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4971.jpg (244.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4970.jpg (282.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4973.jpg (232.2 KB, 20 views)
67Modcoupe likes this.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:36 PM

Garage
Welcome and Don't give up the dream.1st things 1st though you need an Export brace ASAP

Brad
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I also ripped off the exhaust at this point because of ease of working on the trans swap. Naturally, I got rid of the Flowmaster 40s and tailpipes that were on there because I've never been a big fan (sorry to all the classic Mustang purists). And with the trans-am theme I had decided to go towards, decided to give a whirl at building my own.

I asked for and received a Harbor Freight Flux 125 welder for my birthday because I wanted to learn to weld. Yes, it's a cheapo, but it actually works believe it or not. Were my welds pretty though? NOPE. Once again, didn't have a clue. Just wanted to build a dang car.

But I figured it out, got better along the way, and got it done. Exhaust set up is Hooker Competition Longtubes with 3" collectors (not sure on primaries, they were on the car already. I cleaned up the surface rust, replaced gaskets, and high temp painted them and heat wrapped where the clutch cable is near), Amazon Prime cheapo single chamber mufflers, into 45 degree bends and out some Summit Racing 2.5" piping.

*First attempt welds are shown on the header reducers, because those are laughable. Later welds shown on the mufflers, got a bit better at it.*
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4974.jpg (274.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4976.jpg (450.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4986.jpg (174.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4886.jpg (383.5 KB, 25 views)

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My wife got me a Grant woodgrain wheel for our 1st anniversary and I installed that as well. Happy to have something as significant as the steering wheel being a gift from her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4972.jpg (274.6 KB, 19 views)
67Modcoupe likes this.

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Haven't gotten them mounted up yet either, but my wife's birthday gift to me was this 15x8 4.5in backspacing set of Aero Series 52 wheels. They probably won't be my "forever" wheels but I really wanted to step up to some wider wheels and 15s, and the price was right on these. They have a racing style and I'm not sure how many times I've ever seen them on a Mustang, so I'm looking forward to that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4984.jpg (252.1 KB, 19 views)

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
and that more or less brings us up to present day. This car has already taught me so many things (tons more things that aren't picture or talked about so far. ie. rebuilding and tuning the carburetor... I didn't barely know what a carburetor was before all of this) and I'm looking forward to the journey ahead. I have nowhere near the skill level that a ton of you guys have, but that's okay. I'm taking my time and enjoying the process - just happy to be working towards making my dreams a reality. Hope you all enjoy, I look forward to our future discussions on here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0414.jpg (335.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4386.jpg (266.6 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4892.jpg (428.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4361.jpg (125.8 KB, 21 views)

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2nd 66: Do you feel that they make that noticeable of a difference? Just curious of the seat-of-the-pants. I plan on addressing a list of steering issues over this winter.

Last edited by Parker Buhrman; 10-19-2018 at 01:54 PM.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:58 PM

Garage
In Da Weeds

But seriously though, EXPORT BRACE ASAP

Brad
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 02:38 PM

Awesome thread and car! For a free upgrade, do the Arning drop and tuck the front end down a little.

1967 289 Coupe - AOD, Edelbrock heads, Victor Jr, EZ-Efi, roller front suspension, S197 front brakes, 3.55 gears
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
In Da Weeds

But seriously though, EXPORT BRACE ASAP
I've actually had some gift cards burning a hole in my pocket... just put one on order, should be here next week ha! I'll let you know. Thanks!
2nd 66 likes this.

post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
englishman: Thank you! Plans for this winter include new upper ball joints, relocating the uppers 1" (shelby/arning drop), complete LCA's, outer tie rods, strut rod bushings, sway bar end links, converting it to manual steering, and strengthening the shock towers. Hoping these things help a good bit with the steering feel. Currently it's pretty sketchy.

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 05:52 PM

Garage
Really nice look. At first glance, those hubcaps had to go!

'67 coupe, 390, 4spd.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:32 PM

Looking good, some nice progress! Welcome!

'68 Mustang Hardtop, 302, C4
AKA "Dr. Wolf"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page