#1965mustangbeast - Mustang Fastback Coyote Restomod Build - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 99Likes

post #16 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Front Clip Measurements

Since my Fastback has had a number of repairs made to it, I took measurements from three other 65-66 cars for reference. I used a tape measure but also used a Hilti laser range meter with accuracy of 1/64 to 1/32 of an inch.

I used a 65 Dearborn convertible as my primary reference vehicle.

42 7/8 is my measured distance from the edge of the fender apron extension to the radiator support fender J clip. Distance between front frame rails is 27 5/8 with about 1/8 variance between vehicles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
RH Apron and Tower Removal

I began by removing the RH aprons and tower using a spot weld drill and air chisel. My experience doing metal work is very limited having only replaced the floor and seat risers in my Moms Fastback. This is the first time that I have removed towers and aprons, so I was a bit nervous.

Im committed now!

I test fit the RH single piece apron duplicating my laser measurements. My RH apron requires some minor cutting to lay flush against the stock radiator support. I will cut once the replacement Dynacorn radiator support is in place.

I cleaned the firewall with a 3M Scotch-Brite cleaning disc. You can see the previous repair work that was made to the outside of the RH frame rail and lower firewall. Painted with Eastwood weld through etching primer.

Prepped the RH single piece apron and made another test fit prior to welding in place. I cleaned up my welds with a flat flap disc.

post #18 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:36 PM

You may have mentioned it but why didn't you just remove the shock tower?

post #19 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Single Piece Aprons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldouble619 View Post
You may have mentioned it but why didn't you just remove the shock tower?
Great question. I went with single piece aprons for a number of reasons. The LH front apron was replaced with an aftermarket panel sometime in the pastry a previous owner and was improperly stitch welded into place. It was also improperly overlapping the rear apron above the shock tower when it should have been sandwiched under the rear apron. You might be able to see in some of the photographs, but the radiator support was spliced down the middle and LH half of it was replaced. The top hinge threads on both the RH and LH rear aprons had been cut out. The RH rear apron also had some significant dents. So there were a few things that I felt needed to be addressed if the existing aprons were to be used. I did not have access to a plasma cutter, so I felt removing the apron along-with the towers was probably the easiest way to go Also, I really like the clean aesthetic of these single piece aprons and they provide a seamless surface for the shock tower delete panels.
post #20 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
post #21 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Radiator Support with Crossmember and Apron

Triple checked measurements and make some small trimming to the RH apron. The crossmember needed to be center up by about 1/8th of an inch prior to welding. I confirmed frame rail spacing hadnt changed. My LH apron was about 1/16 shorter in length than the RH apron.

post #22 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Heidts Pro-G Gen II Front Suspension Components

Boxes of joy arrived.

Heidts Pro G K member MTF-201 (Gen II) with shock tower saddles. This front suspension setup has a 58 track width, which is about 1 wider than stock 65-66.

Installation Instructions
https://www.heidts.com/wp-content/uploads/IN-216-1.pdf

Splined Swaybar SB-414
https://www.heidts.com/wp-content/uploads/IN-219.pdf

Upper Control Arms

Lower Control Arms

Spindles
It is my understanding that these SP-110 drop spindles will bolt up to a 67-69 Camaro, 64-72 Chevelle, 68-74 Nova, and a few other Chevrolet models allowing for a wide variety of aftermarket brake options.

Billet Adjustable Coil Over Shocks

Coil Over Springs CSV-450-10
450 pound 10

Coyote Motor Mounts with Prothane Bushings MM-175

Shock Tower Delete Panels PX-325

T56 Transmission Crossmember TM-010

65-70 Mustang Pro G build page
https://www.heidts.com/part/64-70-mu...on-wide-track/

Other items included, but not pictured is a Unisteer rack and pinion, splined swaybar, and a pair of 6 piston Wilwood calipers with 13 rotors. These control arms are not the easiest to disassemble, so Im powder coating prior to assembly. I cleaned and media blasted the appropriate parts for the oven.

Huntingky and rusty1161 like this.
post #23 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Pro G K-Member Installation

K-member and shock saddles cleaned and primed with weld through etching primer.

The frame rail lip cut and smoothed.

I had to grind down the stock engine crossmember nut so that the Pro G K member can lay flush against the bottom of the frame rail. I also welded up and detailed a couple of blemishes. Otherwise, I followed the installation instructions.

I had to use a hydraulic ram to spread the frame rails by about 1/16 of an inch. Its a snug fit between the frame rails. I measured 24 from the radiator crossmember and marked spindle centerline. I aligned the holes on the frame rails with holes on the saddle also for an alignment reference.

I had to grind down the rear perches of the K member so that it would lay flush with the frame rails on my fastback.

K-member tack welded in place. I will make a few more measurements and test fit the suspension with a fender prior to fully welding in. I will probably hire a professional welder to lay down the final bead, but will move forward with installing the torque boxes next.

Huntingky, rusty1161 and 66Ccode like this.
post #24 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 11:46 AM

Nice work! Be great to watch your progress and your mods should be very impressive and tasteful. Good luck.
post #25 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Torque Boxes Installation

LH Upper

I’m not the greatest stich welder, but I am learning.

RH Upper

I sprayed the interior of the torque boxes with Eastwood rubberized undercoating. I figure the added insulation for noise reduction and corrosion can’t hurt.

Both torque boxes are in! I was really surprised at how well the two-piece torque boxes fit. Based on what I have read on this forum, I was thinking that they were going to require a lot of trimming, but that wasn’t the case. There are three spot welds on the front clip that I would like to go back and touch up. Fastback goes to the lift.

post #26 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67resto View Post
Nice work! Be great to watch your progress and your mods should be very impressive and tasteful. Good luck.
Thanks. I have a long way to go so I hope I can keep the momentum. My Father steps in now and then to check on my progress and gives me some pointers. I'm having fun and learning as I go.
post #27 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Evaluating My Fastback Fold Down Seat

I spent time going through boxes and organizing parts for the back seat. I have one of the main panels, trap door, trap door hinges, three shims, and some rusty trim. It looks like the previous owner began working on the back seat since the panel and trap door have been media blasted.

All 65-66 fastback back seats have a single hinge on the RH side. Starting in 1967, Ford added an additional latch on the LH side. 65 fastbacks have a unique rectangular seat support and 66 have an oval shaped seat support. Ive heard that some late model 65 Fastbacks may have come with the oval stops.

I found this website that has a lot of information about identifying the differences between 1965 through 1970 Mustang fastback fold down seats. I would like to be able to assemble complete back seat from original Ford parts with the exception of reproduction chrome. I have some homework and parts hunting to do.

How to ID 1965-1970 Fastback Fold Down Seats
http://www.thecoralsnake.com/65ID.htm
post #28 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 07:30 PM

Cool build. I look forward to see more.
post #29 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:54 AM

Nice! Very much in line with my own build so I will be following.

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html
image98 likes this.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #30 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page