#1965mustangbeast - Mustang Fastback Coyote Restomod Build - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 99Likes

post #31 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
MP Performance Door Skins

I ordered a pair of vinyl door skins directly from MP Performance Products to address my chopped doors. A previous owner had cut four holes for 4x6 speakers. The doors fit the car really well and are free of rust so I am exploring ways to keep them to avoid major surgery. Attached are photographs that I took prior to working on the front clip. Iím pleased with my initial observations based on a rough fitting. This company has some other products that I may consider for this build.

MP Performance Products Inc.
1965 - 1966

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 01:15 PM

What we do in a case like this is weld the holes up, then smooth with filler. Then we sand the rest of the texture out of the doors.
post #33 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangstofear View Post
What we do in a case like this is weld the holes up, then smooth with filler. Then we sand the rest of the texture out of the doors.
Thanks. I may still consider going that route and fill the grain as you suggested. I guess I would have to smooth the grain in the rear quarter panels to have a matching aesthetic, but I won't make a decision until I do a test fitting. Good to have options.

post #34 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 11:59 AM

You wouldn't have to do the rear, most people don't even notice unless you point it out 🙂
post #35 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Fastback Inner Quarter Vents Assembly

Digging through boxes, I assembled a pair of inner vent assemblies. They look rough, so I figure this would be a good restoration warm-up prior to resuming metalwork.

I media blasted the vents and screws. The rubber seals cleaned up nicely. The stainless cleaned up with steel wool. The plastic looks reusable, but I used Por 15 on the rusted metal tabs.

I primed with Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black Primer followed by Extreme Chassis Black Satin, and lubricated with white lithium grease. I used a pair of reproduction Scott Drake chrome vent handles as the original chrome handles have some pitting. The assemblies are almost as good as new. Most important, the seals look good and the movement is smooth.

The inner vents are bubble wrapped and put away for safekeeping.
coupesix likes this.
post #36 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Exterior Quarter Vents Disassembly

I donít think my pair of exterior vents came from my Fastback. However, they look to be in good shape and nicely snug the roof.

Two passes of applying aircraft paint stripper.

I media blasted and they look as good as new. Iíll bubble wrap and store until it is time to spray some 2k epoxy primer.

post #37 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
66 Fastback Back Seat Assembly

I found the remaining panels and seat frames for my back seat on Craigslist. Iíve been considering making a book documenting the places and the people that I have come across during my search for Mustang parts. The majority of the people that I meet are truly fascinating with some amazing stories. Some of them have been collecting hundreds and sometimes thousands of parts for years stashed in their backyards, barns, and garages. It would definitely make for a very unique and photographic ethnographic visual study.

The back panel to the left is identical for 66-70 having the rectangular shaped support plate cutout. This back panel is unique for 65 since there is no cutout and the seat stop brackets are moved outward by about half an inch. Second to left is a 68 fastback seat back, but Iím told all fastback seat frames are identical for 65-70. Third from the left, the center panel with hinges is identical for 65 through 70. To the right is a 65 fastback seat bottom. I already have a 66 front L shaped panel and the 65-66 trap door. I should now be able to build a correct late 65 to 66 style fastback back seat assembly. I will use new reproduction chrome trim and piano hinge.

Insert on 66 seat latch cover, and a 65 style seat latch, 65-66 trap door latch, 65-70 rear panel rubber bumper. I need to locate a 65 seat latch cover or a 66 seat latch to have a complete matching seat latch setup. Whew, this is all a little confusing, but I think I got it.
post #38 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 03:19 AM

I struggle with all this great work topped with poor grade eastwood paints and primers. Every town has a jobber that sells good automotive paints and its worth the expense.
Huntingky likes this.

65 coupe 5.0L/5 speed
2001 Lightning #1757
post #39 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
I struggle with all this great work topped with poor grade eastwood paints and primers. Every town has a jobber that sells good automotive paints and its worth the expense.
Fair enough. I have and plan on using PPG DP40LV Epoxy and PPG NCP250 Primer Surfacer, but I don't think it's realistic for me to mix a pot for all the little things.
Huntingky likes this.
post #40 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Powder Coat Front Suspension

I picked up my front Pro G suspension from the powder coat shop. Upper and lower control arms, spindles, and steering arms all look great.

Lower control arms assembled with screw in ball joints, boot, castle nut, and cotter pin.

Upper control arms assembled using the Powerbuilt upper control arm bushing service kit. I had to make a custom 2-piece spacer for clearance, but a piece of cake having gone through the process already on my convertible.

post #41 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 05:10 PM

Garage
Clean looking car! I can't find you on Instagram but I will be following here for sure.
image98 likes this.
post #43 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 02:05 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by image98 View Post
Thanks for following. Instagram build thread is #65mustangbeast
Found ya.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
post #44 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Rear Fold Down Seat Restoration

Diving into restoring my back seat panels to determine if there is any rust or hidden damage. I removed all of the trim and carpet. Next, I removed paint and stripped with a Scotch-Brite clean and strip disc followed by media blasting the hard to reach corners and seams.

There were a couple of holes that I welded up in the rear most panel. I wouldnít be surprised if the factory missed their mark during assembly.

I was pleased to discover little rust. I treated all panels with Por 15 metal prep to neutralize any rust and to etch the bare metal for paint. After soaking the metal with a sponge, the instructions say to rinse with water. Hmm, ok, canít argue with science.

I didnít know, but apparently 65 and 66 Fastbacks have different rear seat latches and latch covers. To the left is the 65 style, which accommodates a latch with a bumper. On the right is the 66 design, which doesnít have a bumper stop. Currently, I think I will go with the 66 style since I will be using the 66 striker plates and fasteners.

Fold down seat hinges media blasted, primed, and painted.

I cam across two sets of 65 to 66 trap door hinges. They are identical in dimensions and stamp numbers. However, one pair has slotted mounting holes. Perhaps a small annual changeover or variation between factory assembly lines?

I found three E shim plates for rear seat. Iíve heard some Fastbacks didnít use any shims, but have heard of some cars having as many as six?

All panels primed with a 2k epoxy primer. All original hardware that almost looks good as new. Iíll store away until its time for final assembly, paint, carpet, and new reproduction trim.

Grabber70Mach likes this.
post #45 of 111 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 10:09 AM

The amount shims needed will vary from one car to another, most of the time we don't need any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page