#1965mustangbeast - Mustang Fastback Coyote Restomod Build - Page 8 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 106Likes

post #106 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by image98 View Post
I installed the ProG-IRS Heidts parking brake kit brackets and Wilwood brake calipers (120-12070-BK).

With the T56, Coyote, and IRS forward struts, I didnít see how the stock parking brake levers and components would fit. One option was to install a handbrake unit above the tunnel alongside the driver seat. However, I liked the idea of going with an electronic solution, so I purchased the E-Stopp push button emergency brake kit. Iíve seen a few other build with this unit mounted alongside sub frame connectors or within the trunk above the gas tank.

https://www.estopp.com

I explored a few options, but the simplest and cleanest install for my build was to mount the E-Stopp motor centered within the tunnel. Clearance looked good as long as the driveline was less than 3.75Ē in diameter. The parking brake cables are about 5ft in length, so they needed be cut. I had to get a little creative using angled washers, grade 8 bolts, lock nuts, lock washers, and rubber bushings to accommodate the curve of the tunnel. This way I should be able to remove and service the E-Stopp motor in the future without removing anything from the interior. I temporarily wired the unit to its electronic control box and battery for testing. Everything works as designed. When the E-Stopp button is pressed, the unit beeps repeatedly as the motors engage and locks the Wilwood parking brake calipers over about five seconds. While engaged, the E-Stopp button glows red, so I might hide the unit under the dash facing downward illuminating the pedals

I also installed an OEM dual exhaust steel rear brake line from Classic Tube. I dropped the IRS from the car, which is surprisingly easy to do with a lift since the unit is completely modular. I finished applying seam sealer under the car. I sleeved the frame rails for additional strength so that they do nut compress under the IRS saddles. I also welded on the rear brake line bracket.

In regards to fuel lines, I decided to go with AN6 Aeroquip AQP stainless steel braided hoses (FCA0620) and hose end swivel fittings. I checked with multiple sources that claimed AN6 should be sufficient for 750-1000 hp on a Coyote so running AN8 was unnecessary. I found these ĹĒ stainless steel double line clamps on Ebay, which also includes sheet metal screws. The fuel tank is from Mustangs To Fear. It is a 22-gallon unit with an internal Aeromotive 340 pump and is equipped with NPT threads. The tank is really well built and I love the clean design. I installed an Aeromotive 12321 fuel filter and 12701 mounting bracket on the feed line.

The Eddie Motorsports billet aluminum bezel arrived. The edges and some of the machining was a bit rough, but it cleaned up nicely with a little time under the polishing wheel. Installed Autometer ES series gauges.
Nice...I didn't even know Autometer actually caught up to the times with modern full sweep, stepper motor, LED gauges...its about time
Huntingky and image98 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss5Oh View Post
Good progress, thanks for sharing. I like the E-Stopp e-parking brake as I have been thinking along the same lines. I removed the OEM brackets supporting the PB cables up front making a system like this a must have. My brake calipers are outboard, so more work needs to be done routing the cables. Also, in my case, I have 3 1/2" aluminum driveshaft, so I will likely have to mount my e-brake next to the subframe connectors. The MTF tank holds 2 gal more than my Aeromotive tank, otherwise very similar. So is your plan to remove everything underneath and coat the bottom with Lizard Skin or something similar? I am getting to the point that I want to media blast the bottom of my car and finish the bottom so that I can install many of the components permanently. I am not looking forward to blowing apart my build prior to body and paint, but it needs to be done.
Thanks. Learning and figuring things out as I go. Yes, I plan to disassemble and eventually undercoat with Raptor/Upol liner, but I still need to go through the engine bay and focus on the body. Disassembly isn't fun, but as we both know, test fitting is necessary as there always seem to be unplanned hurdles.
post #108 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 11:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by image98 View Post
Disassembly isn't fun, but as we both know, test fitting is necessary as there always seem to be unplanned hurdles.
Boy you're not kidding. My engine and trans will come out for, count'em, the thirteenth time. Headers going back for modification to clear the heads while the engine is out. Nothing the DS frame rail to allow for the alternator to be removed without lifting the engine off the mounts. This is purely a improvement for serviceability down the road. I will weld in the firewall patch for the engine and the patches for the blower motor and mounting bolt holes holes. I am planning on blowing my car apart this time next year to media blast, primer, plug remaining unused holes, and into body work. At that time the car will be taken down to a shell. Then the fun begins working from the chassis up.

Looks like you are ahead of me by at least a year. Keep up the progress as it motivates me too.
SWPruett, Huntingky and image98 like this.

Alan
1970 Mach 1 Coyote powered restomod in progress. Started 10/2016.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...mod-build.html
2017 Mustang GT AT donor purchased 9/2017.
FFR MK4 sold 3/1/2018.

post #109 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
IRS Brake Lines

With the IRS on the ground, I wrapped up working on the rear brake lines. The Wilwood calipers are 1/8 NPT 90 degree fitting to -3 AN male (WIL-220-13125). Wilwood -3 AN 10Ē braided stainless steel brake lines (220-8763) tie into a Russel Performance brake adapter fitting tee (R4241SS) bolted on, which goes from -3 AN to 1/8 NPT. I inserted a 90 degree brass fitting (ALL50125), 1/8 NPT male to female 3/8-24 inverted flare to a 12Ē steel brake line that I bent to a 90 degree. I welded on a Heidts brake hose mounting tab (LF-011) and threaded the steel line into a Wilwood brake line fitting and adapter (220-13124). Iím waiting on a 14Ē Wilwood Flexline with a 90-degree hose end angle to complete the system. The test fitting looks good and PTFE thread sealant will be used for final assembly on the NPT threads. I will eventually disassemble for powdercoat, so keeping things loose.

post #110 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
QA1 Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

The driveshaft arrived. It is a custom ordered QA1 REV Series carbon fiber driveshaft (JJC-AC0320) with a diameter of 3.2Ē, Spicer 1350 U-Joints, and has a Sonnax 31 spline slip yoke. The build quality is superb and Iím told this unit can handle up to 2000 hp which is way more than what I will need.

Clearance looks good and the IRS pumpkin is fixed and doesn't travel with the suspension like a solid axle.

post #111 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:15 PM

That's all looking really good. Bet that drive shaft weighs next to nothing.
post #112 of 115 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
post #113 of 115 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Gold Metallic 1966 Coupe

A new Mustang joins the family. My Father and I were on our way to breakfast when we stopped into a weekend garage sale. Sitting in the driveway was a tired old 66 Mustang Coupe. I inquired about the car and the old couple that owned it said it was for sale, but that it hadnít been on the road since 2012. They claim to have purchased the car from the original owner back in 1983.

The car was filthy, but upon inspection it looked to be a mostly stock and in surprisingly really good shape under a crusty layer of dirt. The body had numerous small areas of surface rust and the driver door had a dent. The rear frame rails, floor pans, floor supports, and front frame rails looked rust free. I didnít see any visible traces of prior collisions. I saw dual exhaust and new shocks all around.

The door tag indicated that this California 66 was built in San Jose (Plant: R), 289 2v (Engine: C), Standard Bench (Body: 65C), Sauterne Gold Metallic (Z), Standard Black Bench Seat Interior (Trim:36), November 26, 1965 (Date: 26L) delivered to Los Angeles (DSO: 71), 2.80:1, Conventional (Axle: 6), C4 (Trans: 6). I wasnít expecting a factory bench seat. Unfortunately it looked like the dash was hacked to accommodate a single DIN stereo, but otherwise it all looks to be factory original interior.

Under the hood, things also looked fairly stock. The smog thermactor pump was missing, but otherwise the car still had the factory CA emissions equipment. It is my understanding that 66 was the first year for this kind of smog equipment required on California cars. As an added bonus, the car had factory power steering and power drum brakes.

So Iím thinking this is a pretty cool find to come across such an intact and pristine specimen of a car. It did need some work and I already have my hands full with a couple of projects. I made an offer to the old couple planning to walk away. They said they needed the money to pay off their mortgage, but they declined. It was fun nevertheless. I left my number and my Father and I continued on our way to breakfast. Thirty minutes later, I get a call from the husband agreeing to my offer. So everybody wins. I get a crazy good deal and the old couple makes their last few mortgage payments with the funds. So my Father and I trailer the car home later that day, power wash, and attempt to start the car. Over the weekend, we drop in a new battery, check the fluids (ps, tranny, oil, coolant), and in Roadkill fashion (referencing the MotorTrend TV show), we hook up an external fuel container directly to the carburberator using a gravity feed. We check a couple of plugs and under the cap is a Pertronix Ignitor electronic ignition, which is another bonus. So we give it a few cranks, and the autolite 2100 carburetor is leaking fuel all over the block and is mechanically unsafe. Conveniently, we have another 2100 that we swap from an engine that we pulled out of my Momís 65 Fastback. We make the swap and give the car a few more cranks. On the third attempt, the engine fires right up and runs surprisingly smooth. Itís obvious that the engine was rebuilt. Meanwhile, we let the engine fuel pump push out about thirteen gallons of old gas, which has that wonderful varnish aroma. We flush the tank with some fresh fuel and reconnect the factory fuel line. I check all of exterior lights and loosen up the crusty switches. A voltmeter confirms the alternator is charging. I put it in gear and the C4 is sluggish to shift so we check the fluids and feed the tranny with about three more quarts of Type F fluid. This time, the C4 shifts into gear immediately. I check the brakes and cautiously take the car for a spin. The car steers good and the tranny makes smooth shifts. Itís a driver!

I clean out the trunk and interior. The car has fresh Cobra radial tires, which are a bit oversized. The Cobra logo is hailarious. Lots of things need to be fixed. The coolant overflow has a leak. The horns, window regulators, and heater fans need some TLC. Nevertheless, I am very pleased with the deal.

After a clean up, my Dad and I figure its best to address the surface rust with a converter and use some rattle can paint to seal for the winter. We probably had a little too much fun with our custom paint job on the hood, but at least the rust has been halted. I donít have any particular plans for this gold coupe at the moment, but it definitely helps having another factory-assembled car for reference. It eventually needs a proper mechanical inspection. That was a fun weekend adventure.

post #114 of 115 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM
Supporting Member

That's awesome. Those cars are still out there.

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
post #115 of 115 (permalink) Old Today, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckgearhead View Post
That's awesome. Those cars are still out there.
Thanks. I think they are definitely becoming more scarce here in California. However, If you do find a survivor, most owners ask for a premium price.
Redneckgearhead likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page