Vintage Mustang Forums

Vintage Mustang Forums (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/)
-   Build Forum (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/build-forum/)
-   -   Scooter's 67 Fastback (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/build-forum/1150540-scooters-67-fastback.html)

scootr117 01-07-2019 09:50 AM

Scooter's 67 Fastback

3 Attachment(s)
Finally doing what I've been wanting to do for years.. I started resto-modding my first car..
I've owned the fastback since 1983 and drove it daily in High School. Then I put it up after graduation and got into Custom Mini trucks. I learned a ton of fabrication skills doing them and other projects over the years...knowing I wanted to have this car be my best effort.. I waited until I had the time, money, tools, space and skills to do it justice.

So follow along as I start the journey to bring the old girl to life again.

Mr.E 01-07-2019 12:45 PM

Looks like a good start, what's the plan for the build?

scootr117 01-07-2019 01:18 PM

I mainly want to get the stance right and the body straight with good gaps. I don't have fuzzy memories of what it was when I fist got it. It was a death trap, and how I managed to keep it from getting totaled with the sloppy steering and poor brakes is a mystery as much as a miracle.

The other main direction is to make her drive and stop as close to a modern Mustang as possible using what's available from the aftermarket. I'm focusing on the structural first and then I will move to power plant choice.

scootr117 02-04-2019 07:46 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Caught a break on the Ohio winter roller coaster. I have the hood and bumper off... more PB Blaster is on the shopping list :)
I need to start investigating the front seats.. These are off another 60's Ford car and I really liked the way the seat backs coordinate with the door panels and dash.
Anyone know what they are off of? I considered they where T-Bird, but they don't have the emblems on the backs. Maybe Galaxie?

Israel 02-04-2019 11:53 AM

Iíll be following.

scootr117 03-02-2019 05:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Another half way decent day in Ohio! I’m surprised that it’s not rusted worse. I’m going to be able to save the fenders.. I need to patch the fronts , but it’s better than fighting a repo. The apron by the battery is toast but I believe that’s for course.

Israel 03-02-2019 07:36 PM

Nice shop,...Iím envious!

scootr117 03-04-2019 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Israel (Post 10119992)
Nice shop,...Iím envious!

It's a work in progress as well. It's the biggest work area I've owned to date and I quickly filled it . I hope to build another building in the next couple of years... 40X80X14. I will probably outgrow it too. I'm a selective packrat.. I seem to hold on to certain things forever..

Today's internet search is for body panels... I will probably do a comparison chart in Excel to judge price and quality.

scootr117 03-04-2019 02:52 PM

Can someone educate me on the time frame that Ford changed the steering boxes from the "spear" fixed shaft to the "rag Joint" type? My 67 has the latter style.

thanks.......Scooter

InOverMyHead 03-04-2019 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scootr117 (Post 10121168)
Can someone educate me on the time frame that Ford changed the steering boxes from the "spear" fixed shaft to the "rag Joint" type? My 67 has the latter style.

thanks.......Scooter

1967 was the transitional year. Year 67s got the spear, late 67 got the solid shaft w/ rag joint. 1968 was the 1st year with rag joint and collapsible column.

Shoelessjoe75 03-04-2019 05:35 PM

The big blocks in 67 also got the rag joints on the steering columns.

scootr117 03-05-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoelessjoe75 (Post 10121252)
The big blocks in 67 also got the rag joints on the steering columns.

It's a S code, so that explains the gear box. It's had the 289 and FMX in since I got it in the early 80"s. I didn't know all the Big Block cars had the update.

Thanks...

BradAlbrecht 03-05-2019 08:34 AM

I was going to say it must be right on the transition line if it it's not an S since you also have the early washer fluid bag rather than the plastic bottle.

scootr117 03-07-2019 07:19 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The word for the day is Fiberglass.. I remember looking for parts back in the early eighties was difficult to say the least..especially for a 14 year old boy. I scoured junk yards to find a brake caliper I could rebuild and a correct steering wheel. The lone good thing was LD Hooten... a small shop in my neighborhood that actually sold parts as well as having 50+ parts cars on his lot. But I'm getting off track... Point is getting replacement panels back then wasn't as easy and guys did what they needed to to repair things.. which brings me to Fiberglass...
The majority of the floor I uncovered last night had a pretty decent repair done in fiberglass... they are actually smooth. Unfortunately the spot he didn't do has a gaping hole.
One ray a good news is the cowl looks solid from the under side... I didn't get a photo of that yet.
Check out the photos....

scootr117 03-09-2019 07:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More progress today on the massive mess these floors are. Thank goodness I was able to borrow the Crud Thug from work. It makes quick work of digging out sealer
Also found a long lost tape I made. Led Zeppelin