Hello all, I've been lurking on the boards for a while and since I'm actually starting to get somewhere on my build I figured it was about time to start a thread. I'm not much for starting a bunch of miscilanious threads so I will use this first post as my introduction as well. I am a life long car guy, but am a first generation gear head so I've spent the last 15 years learning how to build cars. Starting with my '05 Mustang which taught me everything from the basics of wrenching up to turbo charging and swapping down stream components when they start blowing up.
About 10 years into my learning process I started to cut my teeth on my first resto project. A year of teaching myself how to weld (poorly), make various patch panels and trouble shoot 40 year old electrics I actually got to drive my '73 Datsun 620. Which I did for about a year before deciding it needed a modern driveline. Enter my first engine/transmission swap into a classic vehicle including updating certain electrical components and modifying certain others so the body harness and engine harness would work together. Another year passed and another hair brained idea entered my mind. What would be better than a 2500lb truck with 200hp? One with 400hp. So in came the turbo and with it my excuse to learn how to TIG (also poorly). That led me to this.
All of the experience I gained working on the truck led me to bravely (dumbly) buy a new daily that needed a floor pan, rocker panels and several other bits of metal replaced, but it was a good excuse to practice more. At the end I have a mostly rust free XJ and have leveled up to be an OK hobbyist mig welder.
All of that leads me to the actual point of this thread. With the knowledge and tools I've gathered over the last 15 years it is time to actually get to work on a car that have had sitting in my dad's backyard that whole time.
'66 289/c4 car that my Dad bought some 17 or so years ago. It was a semi restored driver in need of a bit of love and some updates. As things happen I went off to college out of state and didn't have time or money for the project at the time the car sat under a cover and waited. Then the day finally came to bring the poor girl home.
Got her settled in.
Phase 1 of the build is underway now and includes:
-Floor pans are full of pin holes and some other damage, cowl has some rot and the rear arches and lower quarter are swiss cheese.
Some chassis stiffening
-I have vert inner rockers and seat riser as well as torque boxes already sitting in the pile of parts. I'll likely also add some subframe connectors and other bracing as I go along.
-Already have the Willwood Dynapro kit and dual bowl master and will likely go with the sn95 cobra brakes for the rear. I'll be doing all new hard lines as well.
-Mini fuses, relays and not 50+ year old wires make me happy.
Generally replacing anything that is worn out
For now I'll be retaining the 289/C4/8" although they will likely all find themselves replaced in later phases. By the end of phase 1 I hope to have a decent little cruiser, but long term I'd like to build it out to be more of a pro-touring type car.