69 S code Mach 1 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By ssjohns423

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
69 S code Mach 1

Hey everybody, I just picked this 69 S code Mach 1 up. It has spent almost its entire life in Arizona and California so it is a RUST FREE! survivor. It looks as though the engine and trans have never been removed at all. (Even the dirt and grime looks like its 50 years old). I wont know for sure until I dig a little deeper down the road.
I do know that i will be replacing the old front suspension, leaky power steering and drum brakes as soon as i can just to make it safer to drive. My plans are for it to be a nice quality driver that i can drive to the local car shows. Ill post more pics when I get farther along. Let me know what you think.
Scott
Attached Images
File Type: png Mach !.png (174.5 KB, 98 views)
Turnall and jonk67 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:59 PM

Welcome Scott, welcome to the madness, looks like you got one in great shape for a good start. For suspension I'd suggest looking at Open Tracker Racing products. He makes some really good stock replacement parts that are improved to ride better and drive better than stock for not much more like his Street performance UCA and roller spring perches. https://opentrackerracing.com/

Can't recommended John at ORP enough, great products and testing that make your car more responsive and let the suspension do its job w/o binding.

'67 Coupe Candy Apple red/red interior; original 289 stroked to 333ci; AFR 165cc heads; built AOD; 9" diff; T/A paint scheme planned.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:46 PM

Welcome, nice find on the 69 Mach 1. When I bought my 70 Mach 1 in CA, the seller thought it was rust feel as well. After digging in and deconstructing the car I found the lower cowl panel was swiss cheese. I suggest pouring some water into the cowl and seeing if you have any leaks.

Alan
1970 Mach 1 Coyote powered restomod in progress. Started 10/2016.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...mod-build.html
2017 Mustang GT AT donor purchased 9/2017.
FFR MK4 sold 3/1/2018.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:46 PM

Garage
I've seen that car in person at a few shows as well as for sale on Craigslist. Super solid from what I remember! Good luck on the build.

1969 Convertible field find (450hp spaghetti noodle)
1968 Fastback (428 and a 4 speed)
www.SaveClassicCars.net

-Armon

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss5Oh View Post
Welcome, nice find on the 69 Mach 1. When I bought my 70 Mach 1 in CA, the seller thought it was rust feel as well. After digging in and deconstructing the car I found the lower cowl panel was swiss cheese. I suggest pouring some water into the cowl and seeing if you have any leaks.
I have 69 coupe also and that was one of the problem areas on that car so..I have already checked that spot off of my major problem areas to look for ďcancerĒ. I need to get it up in the air so I can scrape the red Arizona dirt from the underside. The only main problem I have found so far is that both doors were patched on the bottoms, the PO never cleaned out the drain holes in the bottom of the doors and then removed all of the beltline weatherstripping from both doors! 🤯 Needless to say they both had water in them when I picked the car up.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by happystang View Post
I've seen that car in person at a few shows as well as for sale on Craigslist. Super solid from what I remember! Good luck on the build.
Thanks, Iím really exited to finally have a Big Block Mach 1 to play with. Especially one this solid. I still donít know if Iíll leave the patina as is but it is starting to grow on me. Only time will tell...along with the bank account!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Iíll be following.

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thatís a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So..over the long weekend I decided to take care of a few issues with the car. The wiper motor would not turn on at all from the switch. First thing I checked was that all the fuses are ok, and that the plug was attached. Another thing I need to check is if its getting power to the plug itself. (A future project is to replace the 50 year old wiring.) I decided to remove the cowl cover and look at the motor and wiper arms. I found the motor had this black plastic cover over it (I'm assuming its a weather-shield?) but when i touched that shield, it just disintegrated in my hands. I looked at CJPP, NPD, Classic Industries, and even RockAuto. Nobody carries that cover? Does anybody know where I can find one? I'm probably going to replace the motor in the future but I would like to protect the existing one for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page