Help with 1969 FB rebuild - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Help with 1969 FB rebuild

So I have ventured into the world of restoring/rebuilding a 69 fastback. I will say that I have been around cars most of my life as my father was an auto body shop owner for over 40 years. I worked for him in the summers and after school as well. We also rebuilt a 72 Mach 1 in 1993. I’m ready to do it again. I found my car with a lot of the frame work done except the quarter panels and trunk area. My dilemma is this....the passenger side quarter has been removed along with the wheelhouse. The trunk floor drops and rear brace is out as well. The tail panel has been welded in but floating on the sides and bottom. I noticed while had fitting the trunk brace the tail panel is about 3 inches lower than the driver side. I did some measuring of the frame rails and they are parallel to each other. My thought is when the quarter panel was cut off the passenger side it dropped a little. All the replacing and cutting was done before I bought the car. I guess my question is what is the correct way to confirm it’s just the rear of the quarter panel sagging? Did the way I measur it confirm that is the case or should I check some other reference point? Also what’s the correct way to raise that area back up. The quarter panel and wheel house has not been replaced yet. I do not plan to take this to a factory condition. I want to fix it correctly, but this is not a show car. It’s going to be a summer driver and I’ve never been so excited to learn. Any help would be so appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB035C50-F6C6-47CD-BCC2-0EA68B95420A_1557953165083.jpg (414.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg F73E6D9E-CF44-4B60-9F6A-9AC4B69135EF_1557954870310.jpg (356.0 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM

Sounds like a task not meant for the faint of heart. You going to have to get that car level and then either find a manual with all the measurements are see if a member here can help with them. Sounds like you really already know that but that's a tough job to follow up someone's work. Good luck with it. Keep posting, I like to read through the builds as I'm doing a couple of 66's.

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM

Good luck, you have quite a journey ahead of you.

Consider adding general location information to your profile. You may find you have local expertise willing to help for the cost of beer.

Alan

Alan
1970 Mach 1 Coyote powered restomod in progress. Started 10/2016.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...mod-build.html
2017 Mustang GT AT donor purchased 9/2017.
FFR MK4 sold 3/1/2018.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Agreed, quite a journey! I expect this to be at least a 2 year project. I have the shop manual and have printed the frame measurements page for reference. The car was delivered this past weekend and I plan to level and confirm dimension this weekend. Is there any topics here on proper leveling or locations to level from? Thank you for the help. Oh and I added my location...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in