Warhawk 66 build thread - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 20Likes

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
Nicely done! It's dirty work for sure, but man, so satisfying to have it done.

Thanks

And I agree it is dirty and hot work but it felt really good to put the Outer shock tower back on after getting it all cleaned up. Really looking forward to putting the control arms back on this week also, with those in I can almost call the fender area finished that will be a party day for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
This was a long weekend with a lot of work on the car but don't think I got very far.

I did get the engine out so that is huge but it was way harder than is should have been. The clutch bar would not clear the steering box with the transmission attached.

With the engine out I could tell I have a issue with the driver side shock tower, it has moved toward the passenger side and that is what is causing my engine to shift that way too. Had 2 of the local Mustang guys stop by and they pointed this out to me, I could tell something was wrong but without knowing what things are supposed to look like I couldn't tell what my issue was. Going to start a new thread on that issue so I don't clog this one up but will updated here when I know what I need to do.

At this point the project is on hold until I can work out what I need to do next. Hoping to get a answer this week.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Today I will be moving forward again. I have spent some time measuring my frame and based on that info I think my frame, inner fender, and shock tower got tweaked years ago when it hit the rock. The car got repaired so it was drive able, then a few years later they put it on a frame rack and pulled it back into specs thinking that would fix the issue of it pulling when accelerating hard. When they did this the inner fender moved allowing the frame to get to the right spot but left the engine out of place.

Here are some pics of my inner frame and shock tower. I marked with a red line the areas that are out of place.

Mustang 7-4-2019 engine out (9).jpg

Mustang 7-4-2019 engine out (8).jpg

I know I can replace the inner fender and shock tower as one big unit but I don't want to cut that big of a section of the car out if I don't have to. My plan is to use a porta press to push the shock tower back to where is should be or at least closer than it is now. With the shock tower closer to where is should be my motor mount will be back to where is should be too this should fix the issue of pulling under acceleration. I have been working out how all this will happen and I'm pretty sure I can do it in a few hours got a buddy coming over today and we will give it a try. I know it might not be the "right" way to do it but based on tools I have access too it's the best option I have. If I fail I'm out $25 and a few hours but if it works I saved $600 and many hours so worth a try.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So over the weekend I have corrected most of the issues with the inner fender section in the above photos. I won't know for sure how close I got it until I start putting it all back together but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Started cleaning the engine bay and painting it. Tonight I hope to finish the transmission tunnel and start bolting the fenders back on.

I will post some pics once I get some. It was super hot over the weekend so could only work for about 30 mins before going back inside.
Huntingky likes this.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So everything got put on hold. I have a HHR that the engine gave up on so had to spend time dealing with all that. Short version is broken car is worth few hundred, shop wants $2,600 to rebuild engine, so I got a used engine for $400 and changed it my self. Hope to crank it tonight and be done with all that.

On the mustang I have most of the engine bay painted and started taking the engine apart last night. Lots of sludge in the oil pan but feeling thru it I don't feel any grit or metal bits so that is good. The fuel and water pumps look new and the gaskets could have been new too. Everything on the bottom end look very good only thing I see at this point is maybe some rings rusted to the cylinder walls. Plan is pull the pistons out this week going to mark each one so they go back into the correct holes and then need to figure out why the distributor doesn't want to move.

Really want to have this engine running on labor day weekend so not a lot of time but I think I can get it done.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So so update the HHR is running and very glad it is almost done. Had to change the oil pan because the "new" engine had a cracked one. I need to get a battery and it is done my oldest will drive it for a while until we get tires for his Jeep then sell it and get something cooler for our youngest to drive.

On the mustang I pulled the water pump, timing chain & cover, oil pan, crank and got 6 of the pistons out. Two of them are stuck pretty good so need to spend more time with those, I have them soaking in PB blaster hoping it loosen them up a little but so far nothing. Both pistons are pretty low in the cylinder so going to try and push them out the bottom to keep from damaging more of the cylinder if the rings are broken.

Need to pull the lifters out tonight and maybe the cam but not sure. I have never gone this deep into a engine before so lots of first times with this car. Really need to get busy this week and get all this done so I can order parts to refresh this engine what I have seen so far new rings and bearings should be all it needs as long as the 2 that are stuck don't give me issues removing.

Also really thinking about changing the transmission over to a 5 speed. I like the idea and history of the 3 speed but as a driver the 5 speed might be a lot better. If I do that I will put the 3 speed back in and start watching for a deal on a 5 speed I can swap that later after it is running.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:59 AM

Garage
I am in the middle of working on TWO 66 Mustangs...okay, three if you count the occasional little project on my first one. KEEP PLUGGIN' ! ! It's good to see you making progress. I love the back story, the name, that you have your kids involved like I do, and a goal for having your Dad drive it. And yeah, if you're gonna have a manual, I would definitely go with a 5 speed. You'll enjoy that extra crusing gear. Can't wait to see it driveable and your Dad behind the wheel. Keep cool for now. Heat index is supposed to be 108°F with 90%+ humidity here today. Before you know it, it will be cold (yeah!) . Keep posting ! !

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Myfirstcar66 I know lift gets busy but I agree keep working and one day it will be done.

Last night I hoped to get the last two pistons out but they are not ready to come out. I did get the distributor out which has been stuck so made some progress last night. I'm pretty sure I can't make my deadline of the engine running by labor day there is way too much to do and I don't want to rush anything so going to push that deadline off a little. But I still want to get some stuff done by labor day so thinking about ordering my floor pans, brake lines, and front brakes for the car and see how much of that I can get done. Having the brakes all finished means I will have a roller so that is a win.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So today I just ordered a bunch of parts from Nation Parts depot and Rock auto. I think the goal of having the brake system completely rebuilt this month shouldn't be to hard to do. Also going to replaced the front wheel bearing and few suspension items I ordered too.

Also going to clean up my 3 speed and paint it so it is ready to go back in the car, ordered a rebuilt kit for the shiftier also. I think it would be best to flush out the old oil and replace it all with fresh just to be safe. Might be a good idea to flush the rear axle also but that will be in a few months.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I got a few of the parts in so did a few small jobs already.

I rebuilt the 3 speed shifter, cleaned the old grease out and replaced it with new, and new rubber bushings. Still need to paint it all up so it looks pretty but need the top gasket so going to wait till I have that before I do that.

Put on a few brake lines and started putting the front suspension back on the driver side, still have to do the passenger side I didn't want to have everything off at one time in case I wasn't sure how it all went back on.

I'm thinking sense I'm replacing the rear brake lines it might be a good time to clean up the rear axle. And it looks like if I pull the gas tank out it would give me more room to really clean that area well. I wasn't going to start working on the rear of the car yet but it feels like it is time.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Got a lot of stuff done last week. I really feel like I might make my goal of having the engine back in the car and running by the end of the month. Okay honestly I think there is about a 25% chance that will happen but getting that done by the end of Oct is really a solid chance.

First I put on new front wheel bearings, brake shoes, drums, wheel cylinders, brake lines and Tie rod end. This pretty much makes it a rolling frame again need to put the new brake lines on the rear axle but going to do that when I pull the gas tank. Thinking with the tank out I will have more room to sit and should make cleaning up the axle and changing the fluid easier.

Also worked on the engine and got the last piston out of the block and going to call about getting the block cleaned up and ready for new parts. I'm going to order new pistons, and rings but not sure what size yet so after it is clean I can have the shop tell me what sizes I need. Then I got the engine pullies, fan, oil pan, timing chain cover and valve covers cleaned and painted. So they can all be bolted back on the engine when the time comes.

Got the transmission tunnel cleaned up, painted and going to under coat it tonight. Also thinking I can paint the transmission so I can reinstall it this week also.

Also between jobs I fixed two rusty places on my wives Durango, that took a lot of time because it was working for 10 mins then let paint or bondo dry for 30-45 mins.

I will say the front brakes and wheel bearing replacements took 4 times as long as they should have because I pulled that stuff off months ago thinking I would be putting disc brakes, but with putting drums back on it was a little harder then it should have been. Lucky I have done a lot of drum brake jobs over the years but did have to look up some pics because I had never done front drums. Lesson learned for sure.

Thinking about getting the engine back in the car I decided to replaced the Water pump, Alternator, and Starter with all new stuff. The ones I have might be okay but for the price I would rather put in all new and not worry about them. The rebuilt kit I'm look at comes with cam, oil pump and timing chain so that should be just about everything new. Also ordering new clutch kit.

On the fence on the radiator a new one would be simple but $200 sounds like a lot for something that might not be needed replace. End the end I think I will order the new one but not ready to do it just yet.

Did order new wheels and lug nuts, and Headers over the weekend so those should be here this week. Going to leave that stuff in the boxes until time to install but wanted to order them so the parts where here when I needed them.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:46 PM

Garage
Cool history regarding your family car. I agree, the 5 speed is the way to go making the car more drivable and spirited. I saw that you were working on the suspension. Might be a good idea to upgrade/upsize the swayer too. Keep up the good work!
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:58 PM

We need more pics

69 Cutlass Convertible
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I till take some pics this week and get them uploaded. Work has been super busy so when I get home I just start working in the garage and don't think about stopping for pics.

Over the weekend I pulled the gas tank found it has holes and checked the radiator again found it has holes so going to order both of those items this week. Also pulled the valves and springs off the heads, cleaned and checked everything so it is all ready to bolt back on the block. Just getting stuff ready to bolt back together when the time comes.

On Thursday I dropped off the engine block and pistons at the local shop to have the engine work done. They are going to bore it 30 over, re sleeve one of the cylinders, clean the block, and install cam bearings. Should have it back this week so I can start reassembly of the engine. They had a good price on the rebuild kit so bought it there. My goal this weekend is to install the crank, pistons, cam and heads.

I will take some pics tonight of everything before I start working so I don't forget.

[email protected] I have thought about upgrading the sway bar but haven't decided so just going to use the stock for now. But good chance it will be done before spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page