Project daily driver: 1966 Coupe - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 41Likes

post #31 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Well, I started the task I have been dreading the most:

I removed the upper cowl...140 spot welds exactly...honestly its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be...it took about 5 hours to get it free. I may have damaged the flange too much getting it out to re-use...but I dont have much choice since I just ordered the lower portion instead of both lower and upper and no one sells the upper alone...oh well, I will make it work, I have scrap metal, a welder and a grinder to fix the corners...and the rest can be plug weld holes

The condition of the lower cowl...I have seen worse, but one thing I have learned...there is no such thing as light surface pitting. If the surface has pits, it might as well be gaping holes. There are no pinholes in the cowl floor...yet...but its only a matter of time, its obviously the hats that are the leaky culprit here though. Another thing I have learned...when I was washing all the crud out from around the hats with a hose...the water itself did not drain...this means the slight incline of the front end with the engine out is enough to make water stand in your cowl...if you drive your mustang in the rain...make sure to always park facing downhilll to ensure the water drains out of the cowl.

Tomorrow I will pull the lower cowl...broke my last cheapo harbor freight spot weld cutter getting the top out...went through 2 of them(which I guess is really 4 since they are reversible). If you arent really careful they have a habit of losing teeth...they dont last long after that...also managed to break my spring loaded punch...so I took it apart and finished the job with just the punch needle itself.

Last edited by wicked93gs; 07-05-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Lower cowl out...looks like the firewall lip repair wont be too bad.

Some pics of the lip repair...ran out of .023 wire in the last 2 inches of the weld(just my luck) so it brought my welding to a stop for the day.

Some pics of test fitting the lower '67 cowl. Looks like I trimmed away a bit too much at the front edge...ah well, it will be ok...might seam weld it there and then seal seal it before the upper goes on just to be sure.

Threw the stock upper back on just to see what I am looking at as far as fitment goes. It will be a chore all right, the angle of the lip of the lower cowl looks like it might be slightly wrong back near the windshield lip...either that or I just need to fully fit the lower first before getting there...regardless I have other things to do before even installing the lower(such as painting the inside of the firewall and dash and installing the firewall insulation) much less, the upper cowl.
post #33 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Looks like I will be spending the next couple days sanding and painting under the dash...but in the meantime, the one vanity piece I ordered came in from CJPP...I couldnt resist...it was $60 off the normal price with the 4th of July sale:

It is their 14 inch "GT350" version...what do you think? It was only 95% vanity...I wanted a slightly smaller wheel for more room as well.

post #34 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Another day of not getting a whole lot done. Mainly working on painting the interior of the firewall and behind the dash and working on the engine bay side of the floorpan to firewall extension seams so I can install the firewall insulation before putting the cowl back on.
post #35 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:58 PM
Dimples

Garage
Dang man, that looks difficult. lol

Keep up the good work!

The anvil of reality.
post #36 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
Dang man, that looks difficult. lol

Keep up the good work!
Actually, nothing I have done to this point has been particularly difficult....some of it has been tedious(lost track of how much time I have spent grinding welds down)...but nothing difficult. I couldn't believe how easy it was to pull the engine out...maybe its because I did this to my Miata:

and every little thing I do on that project is so tight it turns into a mini project of its own:

I am just enjoying all the room available in the vintage mustang while I take a breather from that thing for awhile.
post #37 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

The lower cowl prepped for re-assembly, and yes, I drilled a hole literally every single inch for the plug welds. There is no way this thing is going to leak if there is anything I can do about it.
post #38 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
Looks like I will be spending the next couple days sanding and painting under the dash...but in the meantime, the one vanity piece I ordered came in from CJPP...I couldnt resist...it was $60 off the normal price with the 4th of July sale:

It is their 14 inch "GT350" version...what do you think? It was only 95% vanity...I wanted a slightly smaller wheel for more room as well.

Love the wheel! I have the 15”

Sometimes I wish I got the 14” for more legroom. That steering wheel just feels right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Chris

'68 Mustang
347ci that has a lot of neat stuff in it
T5 manual trans, alum driveshaft, 9" w/3.70 gears
Suspension parts from SoT, Global West, Maier Racing, and a few others. Works for me!
TCP manual rack (love it)
EPAS (Love this the most)
VWW V45 wheels (like these too)
SoT 13" brakes (stopping is good)
And I finally got a paint job!
post #39 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, that is why I got the 14" wheel...even though I have manual steering and I have already dropped the seat risers 1.5". I dont plan on a tilt column and am a tall guy, so legroom is important(dont need another situation like the miata). The steering wheel itself is surprisingly light...too bad it will be awhile before it goes in.
post #40 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueovalfan68 View Post
Love the wheel! I have the 15”

Sometimes I wish I got the 14” for more legroom. That steering wheel just feels right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
Yeah, that is why I got the 14" wheel...even though I have manual steering and I have already dropped the seat risers 1.5". I dont plan on a tilt column and am a tall guy, so legroom is important(dont need another situation like the miata). The steering wheel itself is surprisingly light...too bad it will be awhile before it goes in.
I picked up the same wheel, but in 15". Hopefully I don't regret that decision but I can't wait to install it in the next day or two!

1967 Mustang C-code Coupe
post #41 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Lower cowl welded in place...still have to ground down the 90ish plug welds

The upper test fit in place...have quite a bit of work to do to it before its ready to go in, but it looks workable. For the record...the "alignment" holes are the next thing to useless considering the upper holes are smaller than the lower holes...its kinda more of a matter of getting it close enough and using the fenders to verify you are ok.
post #42 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

A grinder with a flap wheel and an almost worn-out cutting wheel for the tight spots makes short work of the welds.
post #43 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 06:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncomfortablynumb View Post
I picked up the same wheel, but in 15". Hopefully I don't regret that decision but I can't wait to install it in the next day or two!

Don’t think you’ll regret it. 90% of the time, it’s great. When I got my wheel, I had manual steering. The extra leverage helped. Now that I converted back to power steering (EPAS), I do find that the extra leverage isn’t needed as much, especially during “spirited” driving.

-Chris

'68 Mustang
347ci that has a lot of neat stuff in it
T5 manual trans, alum driveshaft, 9" w/3.70 gears
Suspension parts from SoT, Global West, Maier Racing, and a few others. Works for me!
TCP manual rack (love it)
EPAS (Love this the most)
VWW V45 wheels (like these too)
SoT 13" brakes (stopping is good)
And I finally got a paint job!
post #44 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Today, I started to strip away all the rust and old paint from the upper cowl, making sure it looks re-usable...so far, so good since no one sells JUST the upper cowl that I can find....although I am kinda tempted to use a 67 upper cowl, and modify a 67 hood to fit(always liked the idea of a turn signal hood)...but no need, the metal on this looks mostly good except for some light pitting here and there(which I guess I can deal with once epoxy primed)
post #45 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:18 PM

Garage
nice work ,something I have to look forward to one of these days. I've been wanting a 14" wheel also
Badazz Miata

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page