Vintage Mustang Forums

Vintage Mustang Forums (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/)
-   Build Forum (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/build-forum/)
-   -   69 Mach 1: Long term (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/build-forum/1161468-69-mach-1-long-term.html)

665spd 07-28-2019 09:35 PM

69 Mach 1: Long term
 
1 Attachment(s)
So it seems everyone wants one, and everybody wants a billion dollars for a clapped out one...
I wanted one since I saw it on the first catalog for my 66.
Missed a very good deal on one. Was determined not to miss another for hesitating.
So I placed a bid and WON!

What have I done???

665spd 07-28-2019 09:50 PM

The car...
 
3 Attachment(s)
I named the car long term since I plan to do the whole boat anchor rehab with this high value car. I don't expect there will be many updates quickly, since I really want the car right and solid.

The car is a 351w 2V auto car. It has sat 5 years since the rear quarters and tailiight panel were replaced -incompletely, but nicely. Other than alot of surface rust and a few small holes, the car is solid. It has many parts, but will need many. The car is very original, and I really like it. I decided to get a project so I knew the evil underneath rather than discovering it after overpaying for a finished car.

So here it is; and if you stick around, this one will be nice......eventually.

Israel 07-28-2019 10:17 PM

Welcome, Ill be following.

Share the story of how you picked it up.

Boss5Oh 07-28-2019 10:24 PM

Welcome, your story is not unique, you will find a lot of friends here with similar stories. I picked up my 70 Mach 1 2 1/2 years ago. It did not look that much better than yours, and as you point out, I too wanted a project. I wanted something I could make my own without feeling too guilty about not returning it to stock. I will watch with interest and you bring your new toy back to life. Some say it is about the journey, but to me it is the destination, that is getting the car back on the road and driving the piss out of it.

665spd 07-28-2019 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Israel (Post 10207634)
Share the story of how you picked it up.

Not as good as yours...but some similar elements. Nor am I as good a yarn spinner as you!

Been looking at 69s(even coupes) all over the country since I scraped together enough money for a potential replacement for my now driver 66 (which is far to undervalued to bring up to the caliber I want for a retirement car). No luck! Finally found a car as close as possible (Pensacola to Tampa! 450 miles one way). The bidding was strong, but not excessive. This was a no reserve auction on a 69 Mach1! Debated over it for a week since I missed out on a good one a few weeks ago, and finally decided I'd bid just 100$ over the bid a few seconds before it ended, just so I wouldn't beat myself up for not trying. I was very surprised I won. Made arrangements, rented a trailer, grabbed a friend, and did a run to Tampa. Really a thankfully uneventful trip, other than the stares and thumbs up:smile2:. Now the car is here, and I'm in completely over my head! Pray for me!

Greg

665spd 07-28-2019 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss5Oh (Post 10207642)
Welcome, your story is not unique, you will find a lot of friends here with similar stories. I picked up my 70 Mach 1 2 1/2 years ago. It did not look that much better than yours, and as you point out, I too wanted a project. I wanted something I could make my own without feeling too guilty about not returning it to stock. I will watch with interest and you bring your new toy back to life. Some say it is about the journey, but to me it is the destination, that is getting the car back on the road and driving the piss out of it.

Thanks, and agreed. I subscribed to your thread when I became interested in this generation, and can't wait for the "end" of both our journeys!

69GT350H 07-28-2019 10:49 PM

Subscribed.

Mine was never supposed to be a project, a complete rebuild. Funny how things turn out.

665spd 07-28-2019 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69GT350H (Post 10207660)
Subscribed.

Mine was never supposed to be a project, a complete rebuild. Funny how things turn out.



Love your car; love your thread. It is my "reference thread" for this car. Glad you went through it!
Don't forget about me between updates...it will take time. I'm having to liquidate my garage to build this one, and I'm a baaaaaad welder!

69GT350H 07-28-2019 11:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 665spd (Post 10207668)

Love your car; love your thread. It is my "reference thread" for this car. Glad you went through it!
Don't forget about me between updates...it will take time. I'm having to liquidate my garage to build this one, and I'm a baaaaaad welder!

I did not weld until I took my car from my welder due to his poor performance at the end. He made many mistakes and poor welds that needed to be fixed. I made my mistakes as well, and in the end, I am still not a good welder.

Attached are two examples of how the welder left the trunk lip, and one of my mostly finished correction.

Grabber70Mach 07-29-2019 10:56 AM

Congrats on finally getting your hands on one. Looking forward to your progress on it, keep us updated as you go along.

MikeG69 07-29-2019 03:40 PM

Congrats on your 69 Mach-1 find. I am still working on my 69 Coupe that I have had since 2001 & have been steadily working on since 2010, hopefully it will run within the next year.

665spd 07-29-2019 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grabber70Mach (Post 10207854)
Congrats on finally getting your hands on one. Looking forward to your progress on it, keep us updated as you go along.

Thanks! Planning this one carefully. The work will be slow, but I plan on being buried in this one after it's finished!!

665spd 07-29-2019 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeG69 (Post 10208060)
Congrats on your 69 Mach-1 find. I am still working on my 69 Coupe that I have had since 2001 & have been steadily working on since 2010, hopefully it will run within the next year.

Thanks, Mike. I like the coupes alot, and looked at a bunch. Got pushed back into the build strategy by even high prices and poor work in the coupes too. I definitely will look into your build, and can't wait to see it finished! The 69-70 is so rare everywhere I go.

665spd 07-29-2019 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69GT350H (Post 10207674)
I did not weld until I took my car from my welder due to his poor performance at the end. He made many mistakes and poor welds that needed to be fixed. I made my mistakes as well, and in the end, I am still not a good welder.

Attached are two examples of how the welder left the trunk lip, and one of my mostly finished correction.

Found a bit of this on my 66 coupe, expect some on the 69. Seems to be the norm, thus the build not buy strategy. The quarters and rear panel are fit really well, but the guy didn't finish any of the plug welds on the bottom. Really weird story on the whole thing. Like he went crazy or something.
Your work is very nice, very...btw.

FTWingRiders 07-29-2019 09:58 PM

Congratulations on finding your "forever" Mach 1! Going to a heck of a journey.. I'm in and will bring popcorn!

I cheated and bought my 66 done, but I'm already thinking about something similar to yours..someday..


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome