1967 Mustang Convertible - Rust Rescue - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By swooshdave
  • 2 Post By swooshdave

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

1967 Mustang Convertible - Rust Rescue

My original Introduction Post is here if you want some more background on this car and a bit about me.

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/n...nvertible.html

My best guess as to how I ended up with this car is the person I bought it from told me he got it on eBay. I suspect when we got it he saw that the eBay seller had lied about the condition. The fresh paint was to hide the rest of the dubious bodywork.

It looks like someone tried to get the car running, there's a rubber fuel line from the tank to the engine bay. I have no idea if they were successful. I may or may not try to start the car. The six will get disposed of and I'm not even sure if I care if I get any money for it.

Here's a video I shot when I first saw the car. Notice that I didn't look underneath, probably because I didn't want to know what I would find.

Currently the car is stashed at my cousin's near by, and I have to get my garage reorganized and I should have the Mustang at my place after Labor Day. Then I can take a look and really see how much will need to be replaced. Floorboards and trunk extensions at the least. Torque boxes for sure. Not sure about the rocker panels. I reckon the cowl has to be gone too.

Yes the quarter panels are wrong.

The care has an Ohio title so we know it's seen some horrible conditions. Horrible.

More in a week or so.
Huntingky and image98 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 02:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Looks like a good project....!

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Iíll be following.

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thatís a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

I was thinking of either a two post lift or a rotisserie as I knew I had a lot of work on the underside of this car. As you know rotisserie’s aren’t cheap. Even to make a decent one will set you back several hundred plus time. I just happened to be looking around on Sunday and found this one. https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/81241/10002/-1 Except there was some crazy sale price so instead of $1200 it was $420. They either were dumping the remaining stock or someone made an error. I posted it on one of the Facebook groups. A couple people jumped on it, as did I. One guy said he was going to wait and call Jegs in the morning. Well, as you can imagine he was SOL. Mine is on a truck headed this way, another guy already got his. So now I’m going have to put it on the rotisserie! To top it off Jegs had an additional $25 off coupon so the final price was $395 plus shipping (truck). So the good news is that I’ll be able to easily access the bottom of the car... the bad news is that I’ll be spending a lot of time looking at the bottom of the car.
Garth66 and Huntingky like this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Looks promising in pictures...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 03:19 PM

WOW! Killer score on the rotisserie!

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingky View Post
WOW! Killer score on the rotisserie!
Yeah, if I sell it I’m sure I can break even and cover the shipping.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

I forgot this was getting delivered today. I was actually out riding my Guzzi when it showed up. Luckily the wife was home.

A little beat up. I wasn't worried about anything happening to 350lbs of steel.

Didn't take much convincing for the box to fall apart. We have a dumpster outside the house right now trying to clear enough room for the Mustang. Actually both Mustangs.

No instructions, just a parts list and drawing. I guess they expect that if you can't put this thing together with no instruction you have no business strapping a car onto the rotisserie.

I knew I couldn't move the crate around so I thought assembling the rotisserie would make it easier. If I had less room before now I don't have any room. I'm going to have to get creative.

I was hoping to have the garage sorted and cleaned and get the Mustang home by the weekend. We'll see if that still happens.

I'm eager to get it home so I can do a much more in depth assessment of just how extensive the rust is. And maybe to see if I can get the six running.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage is still not sorted so car hasn't come home yet. A week long work trip didn't help.

Met the owner of a lovely red/red 67 convertible at a local car show. Now I have a contact if I need to see how a 67 is assembled in person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page