15yo with a Ď66 Stang Coupe... Need help! - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 12Likes

post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry I didn’t get pics today. After football we had a team dinner because we have a game tomorrow and there was a volleyball game I went to because my sister plays an important role. Then I had to run errands for my grandma and now have homework and it’s past dark... sorry again lol I will try my best but it might be Saturday that I get them.

'66
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:27 PM

Send a message via MSN to Blue Blood
Quote:
Originally Posted by agungoll View Post
Sorry I didnít get pics today. After football we had a team dinner because we have a game tomorrow and there was a volleyball game I went to because my sister plays an important role. Then I had to run errands for my grandma and now have homework and itís past dark... sorry again lol I will try my best but it might be Saturday that I get them.
Congrats!. You already know something some us here have a hard time recognizing; family and its associated commitments should always come first. Your football team is your second family.
Huntingky likes this.

1995 GT Convertible - Laser Red - 331 stroker, Kenne Bell 2.2 - 415 RWHP 396 RWTQ
2002 Corvette Z06 - 410 RWHP 410 RWTQ
1968 Mustang Fastback .... Rustbucket slowly being reborn
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blood View Post
Quote:
Sorry I didn’t get pics today. After football we had a team dinner because we have a game tomorrow and there was a volleyball game I went to because my sister plays an important role. Then I had to run errands for my grandma and now have homework and it’s past dark... sorry again lol I will try my best but it might be Saturday that I get them.
Congrats!. You already know something some us here have a hard time recognizing; family and its associated commitments should always come first. Your football team is your second family.
Haha thank you I agree

'66

post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by indygta View Post
Hello agungoll, welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your new (old)car. It’s really cool that your dad is willing to buy parts for your car, however, it seems like you will have to direct his hand as far as what is needed first and then second etc. A few on here have mentioned that the most necessary fixes early on, are things that pertain to safety and reliability. Be sure and keep that point at the front. Many vintage cars out there, have a lot of money spent on them, but when you look close, there were a lot of things that should have been fixed before hand. Owning a classic Mustang is something you will never forget – could be either good or bad! Anyway, enough from my soapbox! Addressing the issue that you referred to about your gas tank… If I understand you right, the caulk you are speaking of , would be the caulk that is around the perimeter where the tank sits down into the trunk floor. Drain the gas tank, or if you’re unable to do that, raise the tank up an inch or two and apply what is called “strip caulk” around the entire perimeter of the trunk surface (after you have cleaned that very well). Good luck!
I’ll be sure to keep up with the safety precautions and upgrades! And I already drained the gas tank and put a new one in. Just have to strip caulk it down which shouldn’t be a problem. Do I need any extra adhesives at all? Thanks

'66
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
Remove the radiator cap and look inside. Are there 2 rows or 3 rows of tubes in there?
I checked and it’s actually a 4 row..

'66
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here are some pictures. The fan clutch won’t actually go on all the way which a little bit of lubricant could do the trick, don’t you think? And what does everyone think of how much space there is? I don’t think it should be too close to the radiator but if it’s too far then it won’t cool it enough. Like I said the radiator wings came bent like that.. does that effect anything and if so can I fix it? Tell me if you need different angles please, thank you all again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C5E6F301-E812-433C-A67B-91571833D79D_1567905066043.jpg (370.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 5E1055A4-F624-4C73-A476-AB58A2DB2D86_1567905097777.jpg (331.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg EF4DBF7E-4D6F-4249-ADA3-9631BAB7AEA6_1567905175457.jpg (350.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DA8C194C-E0F0-4184-B838-706421845B6F_1567905212307.jpg (312.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg D0CEC9FF-9279-4010-90AD-E4516654A8FF_1567905265958.jpg (245.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 392CF94D-BD47-4FA5-AEA8-87CA292D6407_1567905307178.jpg (349.5 KB, 10 views)

'66
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 09:25 PM

Garage
you might be happier with a 16" Electric puller

Brad
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
Hm... I might have to go with that as it seems the better option. Do you think there’s any way I can fit what I have right now in? Maybe if I use old fan clutch and get a smaller fan shroud? If not I might go electric.

'66
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I will measure the space between the radiator and where the clutch is supposed to go when I get the chance... I have basketball in a little bit so maybe after.
Does this look like a good fan though?

https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-dr...-1966/p/FAN41/

'66
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 04:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
I will measure the space between the radiator and where the clutch is supposed to go when I get the chance... I have basketball in a little bit so maybe after.
Does this look like a good fan though?

https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-dr...-1966/p/FAN41/
Good fan ,probably to thick to fit. I have a universal 16" Imperial pretty low profile.
I only have a 2 row Champion #340 67 style in my 66. I only need the fan idling stop light to stop light or waiting in line at an autox.

Brad
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Good fan ,probably to thick to fit. I have a universal 16" Imperial pretty low profile.
I only have a 2 row Champion #340 67 style in my 66. I only need the fan idling stop light to stop light or waiting in line at an autox.
So do you have a manual switch for the fan or is it automatic? I have heard that manual switch for it is a bad idea as you're bound to forget and overheat eventually. I think the space is about 3 inches I'll check to make sure tomorrow but could you help find an electric fan that would fit in that space that works just as well please?

'66
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:29 PM

post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:30 PM

i read the just the first post. heres is a low profile electric fan kit. I run one of these electric kits on my truck and will put on on my mustang when the time comes. i use two sticks of small aluminum angle iron couple of 1/4-20 bolts as a mounting kit over the stuff that comes with them. https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-INCH-ELE...IAAOSw~Shceeub
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
So do you have a manual switch for the fan or is it automatic? I have heard that manual switch for it is a bad idea as you're bound to forget and overheat eventually. I think the space is about 3 inches I'll check to make sure tomorrow but could you help find an electric fan that would fit in that space that works just as well please?
Toggle switch to a relay ,,YMMV

Brad
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 08:04 AM

First, tape a piece of cardboard to the radiator with blue or green masking tape to protect it while you are fitting things, its already getting ginked up.

Try sanding the mating surfaces of your fan and water pump to see if there is crap keeping it from seating. Clean out the hole in the fan well, a drill with a small wire brush, otherwise emery cloth and fingers and implements of distruction. It looks to me like it should work if you can get it to seat. You are likely to be able to get away without the shroud since you have a 4 row and the shroud is likely not to sit right. It's supposed to end with half the fan in and half out, that shroud looks too deep for your application given where your fan will end up. As long as there is clearance to the radiator, at least a half inch or so between the fan and radiator you will be fine. You should be able to get on the road unless its 110 degrees and your running a/c. From there you can work it.

Seems like all your problems go away with the right radiator but it may be too late with scars on the fins.

IMHO (In my humble opinion) avoid an electric fan unless you are finally driven there, they require a lot of research to get the right one and a PITA to wire correctly. There is an overheat thread where someone put several different fans on trying to get it right. I personally think in a vintage car, there is nothing cooler than a mechanical fan on the front of the motor - old school but that's just me - old school!

What are you running for wheels, if they are stock and you are running an original diameter steering wheel, you should be fine with manual steering, just get used to turning while rolling and given your football training - you should be golden, same with power brakes. My car never had power anything and was driven by a little old lady for 35 years.

Just remember that when you grow old, you will always rue the day you sold that car and remember it fondly. You will come up to us owners and have fond memories in your eyes as you tell us in the gas station of your first Mustang. You may be one of the unfortunate souls that show up here trying to trace down their first Mustang. Seems like everyone with a little grey in their hair has a Mustang story that just needs to be told when they see one on the street - I'm jus say'n...

Welcome to the sickness/hobby, take your time and do things right once, going half asp gets you hood up on the side of the road with a big L on your forehead - enjoy the build, its part of the hobby, not just a means to an end...

Good luck
2nd 66 likes this.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs

Last edited by dobrostang; 09-09-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page