15yo with a ‘66 Stang Coupe... Need help! - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 12Likes

post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:36 PM

Garage
Congrats on the car! You will find lots of great help here on VMF, these guys really know their stuff and are always willing to help. Good luck getting her back up to speed.

1968 Mustang Coupe - work in progress
1965 Ford F100 flareside pickup - daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok thanks for everything

'66
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
First, tape a piece of cardboard to the radiator with blue or green masking tape to protect it while you are fitting things, its already getting ginked up.

Try sanding the mating surfaces of your fan and water pump to see if there is crap keeping it from seating. Clean out the hole in the fan well, a drill with a small wire brush, otherwise emery cloth and fingers and implements of distruction. It looks to me like it should work if you can get it to seat. You are likely to be able to get away without the shroud since you have a 4 row and the shroud is likely not to sit right. It's supposed to end with half the fan in and half out, that shroud looks too deep for your application given where your fan will end up. As long as there is clearance to the radiator, at least a half inch or so between the fan and radiator you will be fine. You should be able to get on the road unless its 110 degrees and your running a/c. From there you can work it.

Seems like all your problems go away with the right radiator but it may be too late with scars on the fins.

IMHO (In my humble opinion) avoid an electric fan unless you are finally driven there, they require a lot of research to get the right one and a PITA to wire correctly. There is an overheat thread where someone put several different fans on trying to get it right. I personally think in a vintage car, there is nothing cooler than a mechanical fan on the front of the motor - old school but that's just me - old school!

What are you running for wheels, if they are stock and you are running an original diameter steering wheel, you should be fine with manual steering, just get used to turning while rolling and given your football training - you should be golden, same with power brakes. My car never had power anything and was driven by a little old lady for 35 years.

Just remember that when you grow old, you will always rue the day you sold that car and remember it fondly. You will come up to us owners and have fond memories in your eyes as you tell us in the gas station of your first Mustang. You may be one of the unfortunate souls that show up here trying to trace down their first Mustang. Seems like everyone with a little grey in their hair has a Mustang story that just needs to be told when they see one on the street - I'm jus say'n...

Welcome to the sickness/hobby, take your time and do things right once, going half asp gets you hood up on the side of the road with a big L on your forehead - enjoy the build, its part of the hobby, not just a means to an end...

Good luck
Thank you.. wise words. I can't foresee the future but I hope to keep the car in my family even after I am dead, hopefully even if there are flying cars if that ever happens. I am thinking of keeping the diameter the same for the wheels just changing the look a little bit right now. Currently, they look like spare tires without the caps on haha. The steering wheel is a different problem but it should be fine. Whoever the PO was messed with things and, as I said with the horn, they also put a GT steering wheel on it and I don't know why. I replaced with an aftermarket remake of a mustang steering wheel which is bigger than what was on there which I think should help with turning if I am correct. On the note of the radiator, I don't plan on getting a new one. Is there a way to fix the fins? I'll clean when I get the chance and put the fan on with the old clutch and take pics just to make sure. Are you sure I am good without a shroud? If not could I get like a 2 inch one maybe? Thank you so much for your input it helps a lot.

'66

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
Congrats on the car! You will find lots of great help here on VMF, these guys really know their stuff and are always willing to help. Good luck getting her back up to speed.
Thank you Hopefully she'll be up within the month

'66
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Just remember that when you grow old, you will always rue the day you sold that car and remember it fondly. You will come up to us owners and have fond memories in your eyes as you tell us in the gas station of your first Mustang. You may be one of the unfortunate souls that show up here trying to trace down their first Mustang. Seems like everyone with a little grey in their hair has a Mustang story that just needs to be told when they see one on the street - I'm jus say'n...

Welcome to the sickness/hobby, take your time and do things right once, going half asp gets you hood up on the side of the road with a big L on your forehead - enjoy the build, its part of the hobby, not just a means to an end...

Good luck

This can't be over emphasized. I got my car when I was 14, very similar to OP. By the time I was finished with it (the first time ) I was nearly 18 and started hearing stories from people nearly every time I had to fill up with gas. Which was often. I'm also now completely taking things apart that my dad and I did when I was a teenager because I have more patience now and I wish I had the same back then.

OP, good luck. Make sure that the fan isn't too close to the radiator. Motor mounts have some flex in them, especially as you rev the engine. I think you should have at least an inch clearance, but some people here may be more cavalier with their tolerances.

post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:15 AM

I run a 4 row radiator (Copper) without a shroud and have run it that way for 23 years, but I don't have Air Cond. They do help but the one you have isn't right anyway. You can always add it later if you need it. MOst folks with aluminum radiators run 2 rows so you should be fine. Its worth a shot, just work your way into driving the car. I mean don't take the maiden voyage into 2 hours of LA traffic. Drive it around the block in progressively larger circles so you can get home quick if something happens. Work your way progressively into more stressing situations, if she starts running warm, head home and we'll take the next steps.

BTW< its good discipline to install something and take a minute and double check every bolt to make sure you didn't miss torqing one. Be slow and methodical...
2nd 66 likes this.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs

Last edited by dobrostang; 09-10-2019 at 07:18 AM.
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:55 AM

Garage
All excellent advice from these guys. I'll echo getting the proper radiator is going to save you aggravation later. There were a couple instances on my hardtop build where I tried to 'make stuff work' only to cave and go get the right thing. When you're messing with the cooling system of the engine, which if done incorrectly can trash it, best to do it right.

Coming from someone who's running electric fans in one of my cars, for your purposes, avoid them if you can. You WILL get your mechanical fan and AC clutch sorted out with a little time and patience and you'll be that much better for it. Once you have the proper radiator and everything setup, if you still have cooling issues with the AC, look into putting a shroud around the fan. It increases the airflow generated from the fan.

I scoff at power brakes. I'm a 36 year old geezer and neither of my cars have power brakes. Outside of gentler peddle feel, they dont really gain you anything (opinion). Swap your single bowl master cylinder to a dual bowl if you havent already (message me if you need one), inspect your lines, replace your wheel cylinders (if drums), and generally make sure everything is in tip top.

Power steering is another one that can wait. Think of the manual steering as another workout you get to do for football. Get a decent wheel alignment setup, grease it up, and inspect it. Although i do have power steering in both my cars (EPAS in the hardtop, hydraulic in the convertible) but then again, i'm a geezer :-P

FWIW, I actually love the electric fans in my hardtop and the wiring was pretty simple (imo) in the grand scheme but that car is a completely different animal (fuel injection, mucho wiring). Putting electric fans in my convertible on the other hand would have been a pain in the rear since it's significantly more original.

Keep us posted on your progress. I enjoy seeing young folks loving and working on these old cars!
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66ryan View Post
This can't be over emphasized. I got my car when I was 14, very similar to OP. By the time I was finished with it (the first time ) I was nearly 18 and started hearing stories from people nearly every time I had to fill up with gas. Which was often. I'm also now completely taking things apart that my dad and I did when I was a teenager because I have more patience now and I wish I had the same back then.

OP, good luck. Make sure that the fan isn't too close to the radiator. Motor mounts have some flex in them, especially as you rev the engine. I think you should have at least an inch clearance, but some people here may be more cavalier with their tolerances.
Thank you I kind of got rushed into the situation just a little bit because I always had loved classic cars and there's only one classic car dealer in my town and he had a slim selection. I didn't know what car I got until my birthday my sister woke me up and told me to come outside and there it was, a beautiful mustang. I love hearing stories about any classic car from anyone, old or young. I wish I had grown up in the 60s if I had a say in it haha. I have already heard about 10, some from people I didn't even know, so thank you again.
As with the fan, I installed it (not completely) tonight. I will post pictures in a second. I think there's about a half-inch but I am not entirely sure because of the cardboard so I will check when I completely get it bolted down. I wish there was inch clearance but I cannot really do anything about it besides maybe altering how the radiator sits which would be hard.

'66
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I run a 4 row radiator (Copper) without a shroud and have run it that way for 23 years, but I don't have Air Cond. They do help but the one you have isn't right anyway. You can always add it later if you need it. MOst folks with aluminum radiators run 2 rows so you should be fine. Its worth a shot, just work your way into driving the car. I mean don't take the maiden voyage into 2 hours of LA traffic. Drive it around the block in progressively larger circles so you can get home quick if something happens. Work your way progressively into more stressing situations, if she starts running warm, head home and we'll take the next steps.

BTW< its good discipline to install something and take a minute and double check every bolt to make sure you didn't miss torqing one. Be slow and methodical...
Awesome thank you. I have factory air... unfortunately the tag fell off while driving. You're saying my shroud isn't right correct? About the driving, I live in a small town (about 50,000) so there normally isn't any traffic besides normal times (9&5, etc.). I may sound stupid but how do I check if she's overheating? The oil gauge? Sorry I don't know every specific detail. I try to be patient but efficient as well despite only having two months to get it running. Thanks again

'66
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser012001 View Post
All excellent advice from these guys. I'll echo getting the proper radiator is going to save you aggravation later. There were a couple instances on my hardtop build where I tried to 'make stuff work' only to cave and go get the right thing. When you're messing with the cooling system of the engine, which if done incorrectly can trash it, best to do it right.

Coming from someone who's running electric fans in one of my cars, for your purposes, avoid them if you can. You WILL get your mechanical fan and AC clutch sorted out with a little time and patience and you'll be that much better for it. Once you have the proper radiator and everything setup, if you still have cooling issues with the AC, look into putting a shroud around the fan. It increases the airflow generated from the fan.

I scoff at power brakes. I'm a 36 year old geezer and neither of my cars have power brakes. Outside of gentler peddle feel, they dont really gain you anything (opinion). Swap your single bowl master cylinder to a dual bowl if you havent already (message me if you need one), inspect your lines, replace your wheel cylinders (if drums), and generally make sure everything is in tip top.

Power steering is another one that can wait. Think of the manual steering as another workout you get to do for football. Get a decent wheel alignment setup, grease it up, and inspect it. Although i do have power steering in both my cars (EPAS in the hardtop, hydraulic in the convertible) but then again, i'm a geezer :-P

FWIW, I actually love the electric fans in my hardtop and the wiring was pretty simple (imo) in the grand scheme but that car is a completely different animal (fuel injection, mucho wiring). Putting electric fans in my convertible on the other hand would have been a pain in the rear since it's significantly more original.

Keep us posted on your progress. I enjoy seeing young folks loving and working on these old cars!
So you're saying I should replace the radiator I have now? After reading everything everyone has said I think it will work great as long as there's enough space between it and the fan. Asking questions online sure does help with a lot of problems haha. It wasn't me who wanted to get PB&PS it was my dad who probably just wants me to be able to handle it safely. In his defense that was almost a year ago and a lot has changed and I've gotten bigger etc. I have not touched the brakes or anything yet. Closest I have gotten was shocks and that is the only thing I touched in the wheel well. Could you pm me a good dual bowl please? I think I will drive it until I get the money for disc brakes and that'll bring about the replacing of cylinders obviously. Already have wheel in but need to grease it. I will also be sure to keep you posted. Thanks so much mister

'66
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here is a picture of the front and I have a question about the bolts.
Are they the correct ones? And if so, should they be popping out on the other side? If they are the correct ones then I assume they’re supposed to. It also took a good while to get it screwed in because I don’t have any socket crescent wrenches? If that’s what they’re called lol. I just had to manually screw it and it took forever
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0D431C13-6E82-4D67-8969-9E25EC16F503_1568168240581.jpeg (80.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 5F133B11-E221-408C-9E9F-21905B5BD5D1_1568168261630.jpg (196.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DEBB19DA-9656-4D7E-9298-F08596B9C008_1568168305312.jpg (300.7 KB, 4 views)

'66
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:04 AM

Garage
I see you took dobro's advice on the cardboard, Get your self a small tool kit from Lowes ,I don't know your budget but you should be able to find something. https://www.lowes.com/pl/Mechanics-t...ols/4294607611
the fan bolts look ok, looks like your missing some though? either way you need some good tools for maintenance.
They make radiator combs but it's tedious work at best. https://www.google.com/search?q=radi...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Brad
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agungoll View Post
Here is a picture of the front and I have a question about the bolts.
Are they the correct ones? And if so, should they be popping out on the other side? If they are the correct ones then I assume they’re supposed to. It also took a good while to get it screwed in because I don’t have any socket crescent wrenches? If that’s what they’re called lol. I just had to manually screw it and it took forever

The bolts that attach the fan clutch to the water pump are 5/16"-24 bolts. Commonly called a "fine thread" vs. a 5/16"-18 thread which is a "coarse thread". Any hardware store or auto parts store will have them. You can buy them in many different lengths. Your are too long for your use. Somebody probably replaced a fan spacer and didn't get shorter bolts.
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agungoll View Post
I may sound stupid but how do I check if she's overheating? The oil gauge? Sorry I don't know every specific detail. I try to be patient but efficient as well despite only having two months to get it running. Thanks again

There are no stupid questions, the same doesn't apply however to the answers you may get, but that is the nature of the internet. Your car came with a temperature gauge (TEMP C to H) and either an oil light or a oil pressure gauge (OIL L to H). These two indicators are your friends and you need to pay attention when you drive for if they tell you you have a problem, you have a very short period of time to get the car safely stopped and turned off before expensive things happen to your motor. Get in the habit of checking them regularly, especially in the early days of driving the car till you get some confidence in the car.

They should be roughly in the middle within a 1/4 of the gauge on either side of the center on a happy car e.g. 1/4 to 3/4. When they start heading for the extremes (except high oil pressure when the car is cold, that is normal and obviously if the TEMP is low on a cold car) you have an issue and the more extreme the reading the quicker you need to turn it off. If you have an oil light and it comes on - pull over as quickly as it is safe to do so and turn the motor off, you have no lubricant flowing through your motor - very bad juju!

Those bolts should work fine, as a vintage automobile craftsman, we/you would like to see them flush and not sticking through (good eye) but they will work as long as the fan spins freely and they do not hit anything.

Be careful as you use nuts and bolts, for a given size there will be coarse thread and fine thread and they do not interchange. NEVER Force a bolt or nut that doesn't want to go in. Make absolutely sure it is the correct thread, you can tell by looking. If you start a bolt slightly at an angle, you can "Cross thread" the hole and its a pain in the Asp to fix, it happens to all of us usually when we get in a hurry. We like it when a bolt or nut starts with the fingers easily moving to a wrench only after it is well started. Get yourself a good socket set US not Metric, you can never go wrong with Craftsman tools but cheap ones are better the none.

Keep up the good work, we like to see progress...

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs

Last edited by dobrostang; 09-11-2019 at 07:49 AM.
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
I see you took dobro's advice on the cardboard, Get your self a small tool kit from Lowes ,I don't know your budget but you should be able to find something. https://www.lowes.com/pl/Mechanics-t...ols/4294607611
the fan bolts look ok, looks like your missing some though? either way you need some good tools for maintenance.
They make radiator combs but it's tedious work at best. https://www.google.com/search?q=radi...hrome&ie=UTF-8
I have a lot of tools I just didn’t have exactly what I needed. I only put one on just in case they were the wrong ones. I also didn’t have time since it was dark and took forever to get on. Thank you 🙂

'66
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page