1966 fastback build an introduction and a thank you - Vintage Mustang Forums
 35Likes

post #1 of 219 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to RyanSterling966
1966 fastback build an introduction and a thank you

Howdy, I first wanted to say thank you for all the help y'all have given me without even knowing it. I have been lurking around on here for quite some time now. I can honestly say I would not nearly be as far along in my build as I am without that vast amount of knowledge I have gained by doing so.

I am a lifelong Mustang fanatic, well actually it started when I was 6 years old. I was at the drag strip with my dad when I saw a blue fastback pulled up to stage. I remember thinking it was the most beautiful car I had ever seen. Right then and there I knew that at some point in my life I wanted one. The obsession started immediately. Even before I was close to driving age I started learning about them and my Dad used to get a kick out of letting me rattle off why the car we just saw was a 65' or a 66 or a GT etc.

Anyways without giving my complete life story, I finally got my hands on a 66 fastback about a year and a half ago and have been building my dream car ever since. I still have a pretty long road to travel but it's really starting to come together. Apologies for the poor photo quality. I am really bad about stopping to take pictures. Too busy having fun with the task at hand. So, now without further adieu. My build.

I suppose at this point I should probably explain what it is I was looking to accomplish with this car. I want the most reliable, street driveable, car that I know how to build as of right now. I want it to handle well, stop well and never ever decide to take my 2007 instead because the 66 is a pain to drive or I am scared it will break down. Or it's too loud or low or whatever all that stuff is that those of us who have built a few so often end up with. I didn't want to build something I was afraid to drive much more often than just special occasions. I wanted replacement parts to be available at most chain stores and I wanted it to have good manners when asked and enough grunt to scare a passenger or myself when asked to.

Bottom line, if it was boys weekend with my buddies in Vegas, would I hesitate for even a second to take the 66. If at any point in the build the answer was yes. Then I needed to rethink my direction.

I however did not want to lose the charm of driving an old car. So as a designer it was really important to me that the choices I make still have the car feel classic and nostalgic. I have decided to think of it as a what I would describe as a "secret" restomod. All the reliability and fun of modern tech but never lose the spirit of what driving a classic feels like.

I found the car in central Texas, and literally bought a plane ticket and flew out the next day. It ticked all the boxes. 66,fastback,4-speed,A-code,pony interior,A/C, etc etc. Though now I have replaced so much I guess most of that doesn't matter much. But to answer the question now. Yes, I have held on to all of the original parts. They are now all cleaned and tagged being stored for the "next guy."

It looked pretty solid but as always after I dig deeper it clearly followed the rule of. Take all the rust that you CAN see and multiply it by 3.

Took a few weeks to get it shipped to LA.

My shop supervisor approved the project though, so that good news.

It was in "running" condition. But very tired and had quite a bit of suspect work done over the years by the last owner. So I started stripping and scraping to address any rust or structural issues first.

Added in torque boxes on both sides.

And subframe connectors.

I have seen floors in worse shape but obviously these wouldn't do so time to start cutting.

I have no idea if it would be considered "best practice" to install the subframe connectors first. But I decided to do it since I had already measured the car and knew it was square to original dimensions. So I didn't want anything to move around when I cut the floors out. It is also the same reason I did the torque boxes first. Seemed to me it would be smarter to keep it square from the start rather that have to re-square it later.

New floors went in pretty well. I ended replacing a lot more that I probably needed to. But I figured why cut out the front and back individually when I can replace both in one shot.

The radiator support and battery area also had a bit of rot. So those were also replaced.

As it turned out my trunk had some pretty poorly done fiberglass repairs. So as per usual for me, I cut out mre than probably needed and welded in replacement panels.

Sorry, but it doesnt look like I took any pictures of the trunk after the new panels went in. I at this point had also completely cleaned the entire underside of the car and sprayed several coats of semigloss black epoxy to seal it. Basically just getting the rust gone and the chassis (unibody) ready to receive a new suspension and brakes.

Keeping with my them of easily available parts. I chose 2007 Mustang GT brakes over aftermarket setups. I think they are more than adequate for the weight and I can get pads or a rebuild kit most anywhere.

The front suspension is a "control freak" coil-over setup with adjustable AFCO shocks. Allowing me to dial in adjustability like dampening and ride height with basic tools.

Next it was time to sort out the rear suspension and diff. I decided to tackle it all as one unit. So as with all things car restoration. First, out comes the scraper and wire wheels.

I went with the TCI triangulated 4-link setup. Also added in the rear adjustable sway bar kit and adjustable billet shocks. This shot was obviously after a ton of work but you get the idea.

Detroit tru-trac with 3.55's ready to drop in, but I wanted to get the rear suspension and housing installed first.

Everything all back in place. At this point I had also made all of my brake lines and figured out getting the parking brake to work with the 2007 brakes.

It felt really good to get the car back on the ground. It had been on stands for one reason or another for quite literally months. So it was cool to have it at height and looking sort of like a car again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 219 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:17 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Very nice work! Welcome aboard.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #3 of 219 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:26 PM

Garage
Man that thing is going to be a breast, looks like great workmanship as well. Too bad your not my neighbor, i sure could use you to help.

post #4 of 219 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

I also painted the wheels the car came with. Totally out of order, but it was winter time so I wanted something I could do sort of inside and didnt cost too much. Since I have a bunch of nieces and nephews to buy for at Christmas.

I pretty much built a low budget side draft in my garage to keep overspray and dust down. I have used it several times since. I made it out of PVC pipe so it all snaps together and breaks down easy.

I also sprayed the calipers. Again totally out of order, but every once in a while to keep momentum I try and do something fun and easy.

At this point I think I had pulled and re-stabbed the motor 4 or 5 times. I had also moved houses. But this time the old girl was officially getting retired. Still ran pretty well but I wanted to pull her and keep her preserved for the next guy. So I didnt have to worry about hurting the matching motor with how much I plan on driving it. Plus, for the performance I wanted building a roller motor made a lot more sense to me.

While CHP was building my 331 I decided to keep myself busy by addressing the previous owners stereo "improvement."

I also wanted to smooth the HVAC controls as those are being changed over to knobs and relocated. As I mentioned before I am a designer, so I had pretty clear intentions about what I wanted the dash to look like. So I got at it.

just mocking up the AC vents I want to use after filling in the dash.

more dash mock up. I went with aviation style rocker switches to control things like door locks and power windows. Wanted the modern convenience without having to stare at modern looking buttons all the time.

I wanted to keep the ash tray removable because I wanted to have easy access to the switches later on if need be. Making it all fit in this area involved a bit of head scratching.

At this point I had also cleaned and painted the engine bay. as well as adding in my heat shielding. Which proved to be interesting, wear gloves, it gets itchy.

I also reworked some of my brake lines and decided to but them in the same sleeves as my wiring. I would say any protection it offers is minimal, but I liked how it looked, so I figured why not.

I also installed borgeson power steering with all new linkage etc. including the roller bearing idler arm mod. These together I have yet to test. So we shall see I guess. Out of everything I have done so far on the car the borgeson install drove me nuts. The rag joint has now been replaced. I am sure anyone whom has install one on a 65 or 6 likely knows why. And not to "rag" on borgeson too terribly much but I think it is incredibly irresponsible for them to sell their kit with such a potentially harmful if not fatal and well documented flaw in its design. (sorry rant over) I also installed a modern driveline hydraulic clutch kit. I wanted to get all of my plumbing sorted and routed before the new engine was ready.

Speaking of which.........
post #5 of 219 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:38 PM

Welcome aboard...that's quite the first and second post you got there. I'm sure the entire car is going to be awesome, but I have to say I absolutely love your dash...set a new standard there.

Look forward to more posts and updates.

Jay

1968 Fastback: 331 stroker, FTI cam, N351 Heads with a few upgrades, 4r70w w/3600 stall, 9" locker w/3.70 gears
post #6 of 219 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Looky what I got! Now this was a SUPER exciting day. It is a 331 stroker built by CHP sporting AFR 185's. Should make for a nice and fun but very streetable motor.

I put the motor on my stand, got the block painted and started assembly. Yeah I know Chevy's should be orange, but it matches the other accent pieces. Anywhooooo.

Mocking everything up with the RMP adjustable motor mounts. It looks like to run the moroso pan I have and push the engine back where I want it I will need to make a crossmember. So off to the metal store I went for some DOM tubing. and flat stock.

Once that was done, I was able to get the motor where I wanted it. Darn near starting to look like a car again.

And now on to the next phase, front accessory drive. Oh Joy, I really kinda wanted to keep it looking 289ish. So I am sticking with good old v-belts for now. Having to make spacers etc. out of stainless stock. It's fine though, keeps me out of trouble anyways. And I always like making stuff rather than buying it if I feel capable.

Got the accessorys figured out. and started playing with an idea for some sort of engine cover type idea. This hasn't moved forward since though. I cant decide if I even like it. And frankly making it work will be a pain.

post #7 of 219 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Yet another shot of my engine cover idea. Starting to grow on me, but still undecided. And frankly I have bigger fish to fry at the moment. Like EFI and wiring the whole darn thing.

Speaking of which, main harness meet EFI harness. EFI harness meet main harness. Now you two play nice please. I also decided to throw in the MSD 6a wiring in to the mix while I was at it. Mostly just cause I am too dumb to know better. Plus I actually don't mind wiring. Which I know makes me kind of weird.

The custom gauges I designed also came in about this time. So clearly I dropped my wiring and went off like a 5 year old to play with the new shiny bits.

The tach looks yellow, but I assure you it is orange. The rest of the gauges I wanted to keep really simple, just white on black. Another subtle nod to aviation or any other purpose driven design.

So..... that was were I was at about a month ago. Since then I have installed the EZ EFI 2.0 and my fuel system. I am also about finished with all of my wiring and even was able to fire the new engine for the first time. Now that was a cool feeling. You can see it run in the video links below.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...05162672147954

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...80675628507169

Currently saving up for my TKO600, then I will just need a driveshaft and I can actually drive it Paint I will only worry about once the mechanicals are completely sorted and tested. Then it will be torn back down and off to a yet undetermined body shop.

Thanks for reading Yall, and thank again for all the help along the way. I honestly and sincerely appreciate it.
post #8 of 219 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66resto View Post
Welcome aboard...that's quite the first and second post you got there. I'm sure the entire car is going to be awesome, but I have to say I absolutely love your dash...set a new standard there.

Look forward to more posts and updates.

Jay
Thanks Jay, I have been designing that dash in my head for quite a while now. Its been a lot of fun to see it finally come together. It's a bit more complete now. But holding off on anything else on the interior until I see what I have to do to the trans hump for the tko to fit.

Really need to take some new pictures of it. The paint it done, glove box is in and have installed all the new shiny bits and bezels. Will take some shots before I tear it all back down again.
post #9 of 219 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 04:20 PM

I don't see the shop supervisor in any of the 'working' shots. Must be off taking a nap like most supervisors.
post #10 of 219 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiffStroganoffsky View Post
I don't see the shop supervisor in any of the 'working' shots. Must be off taking a nap like most supervisors.
Yeah his union rep is an absolute wizard. I really got upside down on his contract quickly. He mostly just inspects, rolls his eyes and sleeps. Typical.
post #11 of 219 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 04:29 PM
Supporting Member

Ryan, What a great build. Nicely done!! We are close enough that i hope to see the car in person some day at a car show or meet!

Steve E.
1965 Wimbledon White Vert.
T5, FiTech EFI, Borgeson Power Steering ,Ididit tilt, Street or track 4 wheel disc, coil overs, 3 link rear, 3G alternator, Custom sound system
post #12 of 219 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 04:44 PM

Looks great! You've got some really interesting concepts - can't wait to see more pics. I personally like the engine cover just because it's different but still keeps with the theme of the car.

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://mapandamustang.blogspot.com/
Over 50,000 miles of North American roads driven on road trips since 2014. More always in the works - stay tuned!

When I show up at a car show and my car is covered in mud, it's probably because I drove 2000 miles to get there
post #13 of 219 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 05:03 PM

Garage
It looks like you found a pretty decent car to start the project. How long have you been working on this so far?

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation
post #14 of 219 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 05:12 PM

The engine cover looks awesome IMO. Love the gauges and that dashboard is totally cool. You're turning this car into something really special without losing the spirit of it. Major props to you sir!

1966 Mustang Convertible - T Code - vintage burgundy / black pony interior
1966 Mustang Coupe - C Code - currently red / black standard interior (going back to original dark moss green / ivy gold and white pony interior)
post #15 of 219 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 05:16 PM

Ryan you obviously have a passion for doing this, I tip my hat to you. Awesome job, I like everything I've seen thus far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page