Dan's 65 Fastback - RestoMod build - Page 23 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 143Likes

post #331 of 360 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

I thought the same thing and looked at them as an option. All I found was a set by Maier...but at $175 each, I though the the price was stupid.
https://www.maierracing.com/product/...ght-surrounds/

MTF makes a quarter extension in fiberglass, but only one meant to work with their trunk with a spoiler.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 360 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:28 AM

Wow, I just checked their headlight buckets...$499. Wholly mackerel!! Maier Racing that is.
post #333 of 360 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:50 AM

Send a message via MSN to Blue Blood
Question regarding Muggy Weld; can this be used similar to lead, or all metal filler be a better choice?

1995 GT Convertible - Laser Red - 331 stroker, Kenne Bell 2.2 - 415 RWHP 396 RWTQ
2002 Corvette Z06 - 410 RWHP 410 RWTQ
1968 Mustang Fastback .... Rustbucket slowly being reborn

post #334 of 360 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

I used it to fill some pin holes in metal that I wasnít comfortable welding. But I donít think it would be good for large sections like lead. The rods you can get arenít really all that thick. I think they are 1/8Ē and maybe 1/4Ē.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blue Blood likes this.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
post #335 of 360 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:07 AM

Dan -

Looks great! Your attention to detail reminds me of my FFR. For the ‘65, I’m also in the process of fitting my GT350 and what a PITA!

First hood fit like crap all over with large gaps everywhere. Plus the scoop was smooth on the top (there’s actually a lot of detail and lines and ridges on the original scoop).

Second hood (Dynacorn) had much tighter gaps and much more detail on the scoop. Fit even better once I replaced both hinges too. But the fit at line up at all.

Does your hood sit flush to the fenders? I’m going to have to drill holes in the hood underside frame for the Monte Carlo bar bolt heads then adjust the height with hood bumpers.

- Drew
  • '65 Shelby Cobra FFR #3928 (long gone...not forgotten)
  • '65 Mustang Fastback
post #336 of 360 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

As I get tired/frustrated with working on one end of the car, I move to the other end. It's a never ending back/front/back process.

I spent some more time on the bumper to get the gaps even on both sides. Just barely a paint stick width along the top edge...a bit tighter on the side...so I will probably do a bit more so it's even all around.

After seeing some pics on facebook of cars done by Rusty, I decided to bond my quarter extensions. That solved the crappy gaps I was getting when I tried using the rubber seal.
The pictures above look good, but that's without the seal and the extensions right up against the quarter (wouldn't be good for the paint).

Without the rubber seal or rubber washers on the posts, the gap was real tight...some you couldn't get a sheet of 20 gauge in...so I think the panel adhesive will do a good job and not crack. I used a flexible spreader to see how the gap looks and it will require very little all metal filler to smooth it out.

Purists won't like it - but it's my car.

I think it will fit the look I have going on with the tight fit bumper that will be painted body color (white).

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
post #337 of 360 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:46 PM

Dan, the gaps are looking good. Make yourself happy with the end result as you know it is impossible to make everyone happy.

I gave up worrying about the purists almost from the start when I went with a Coyote plus 6R80 AT. My FFR was not from the standard carbureted SBF mold either, 4.6L 4-cam with 5-speed, so I guess I am just a rebel.

Looking at all your detail work shows me what I am in for next year. I thank you and others that are willing to take the time to improve on what the factory gave us.

Alan
1970 Mach 1 Coyote powered restomod in progress. Started 10/2016.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...mod-build.html
2017 Mustang GT AT donor purchased 9/2017.
FFR MK4 sold 3/1/2018.
post #338 of 360 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:06 AM

Garage
innovative

Purists won't like it - but it's my car.

I think it will fit the look I have going on with the tight fit bumper that will be painted body color (white).[/QUOTE]

Now it has me thinking that I should just get some fiberglass and make a quarter extension\rear bumper combo......sort of a reverse Shelby front....keep the ideas coming Dan, I have unlimited time to dream..
Dan Babb likes this.

Get off my back, get out of my pocket....

1965 2+2 painted (66) Vintage Burgundy, 1998 roller 5.0 with GT40P heads, plans are for Sniper, T5 and 3:55 rear.
post #339 of 360 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russstang View Post
Now it has me thinking that I should just get some fiberglass and make a quarter extension\rear bumper combo......sort of a reverse Shelby front....keep the ideas coming Dan, I have unlimited time to dream..
That's a really cool idea. Bolt everything together...bond a fiberglass bumper to the quarter extensions and smooth it all out...then take it off the car and use it for a mold. The original body holes could be used to bolt it up to the car. I've never built a mold before though, so I'm not going to do it...I'll be happy just to get the current setup to look good.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
post #340 of 360 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:17 AM

Dan,

I've been following your build for a few years. Really like what you have done so far and we seem to be running a similar build style - you're a few years ahead of me and making great progress.

We even share similar taste in the other cars in the stable. My '66 sits next to my Cobra replica as well.

Keep the ideas coming - the rear quarter extension and bumper feature is a winner. I have one of the extensions at work and am going to try to replicate out of sheetmetal and weld into the car.

Jeff
Dan Babb likes this.
post #341 of 360 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:17 PM

Down side of bonding everything together, is constant expansion and contraction. You will always see line. Now for making the end caps and bumper one piece, another bad idea, you loose all adjustments in the end caps. People have more trouble getting end caps to fit than any other part. You need to be able to move them individually.
Huntingky likes this.
post #342 of 360 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:56 AM

Garage
[QUOTE=mustangstofear Now for making the end caps and bumper one piece, another bad idea, you loose all adjustments in the end caps. People have more trouble getting end caps to fit than any other part. You need to be able to move them individually.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just random synapses firing, not something Iím planning. Of course now Iím wondering what chrome caps would look like with the bumper? Maybe I just need a cup of coffee.

1965 2+2 painted (66) Vintage Burgundy, 1998 roller 5.0 with GT40P heads, plans are for Sniper, T5 and 3:55 rear.
post #343 of 360 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:24 PM

If you were working on a 2019 you could get away with the one piece, but not on a 55 year old car. Chrome extension would look butt ugly IMO
post #344 of 360 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:37 PM

Garage
Yeah, it was a joke...

post #345 of 360 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Iím calling the bumper gaps done. Still have to do some finish filling and sanding on the bumper and end caps.

I still donít know how guys do this for a living without going insane over all the details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Russstang, RTM, Blue Blood and 1 others like this.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page