Thunder revisited - 67 Pro-touring fastback - Page 21 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 96Likes

post #301 of 313 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingky View Post
Seats look good, how do they sit?

I think I saw your pics on FB and seemed there were a lot of questions also about the console.
I like the seats, very supportive in the corners, although the tracks don't seem to let the seats go back as far as the other ones that I made. In that way I have to recline the seats a little more to feel right. I would not want to be tall with this particular track, although I have not had the stock seats in for years.

They seem to be very well built with good welds and structure underneath. The recline and track mechanism for the seats is also nice and tight with no play or looseness.

Kind of funny about the console questions. The next version will hopefully blow that one out of the park.

Project 487 Super Snake - '67 Shelby GT500 Pro Touring Beast

487cu FE Idling with X-Force Varex Mufflers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 313 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
What back up camera did you go with? I have an aftermarket camera on my F-150, it's old and doesn't work well when the sun is shining on it.
The brand is called Auto Vox, it had a number of good reviews, but I have not hooked it up yet. Maybe next weekend. It is inconspicuous enough and was cheap enough so I'll post when I get it hooked up.

post #303 of 313 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Late in the day today, I swapped out the secondaries from 80 to 75's. I thought I noticed a little preignition when testing the secondaries tonight. A/F gauge seemed to look okay the second time, but I'll leave it for now and test it a little longer before changing.

On another note, the moroso clear float bowl plugs. When I went to change out the rear jets, I noticed part of the clear lens sitting in the intake. It was from the primary bowl. Since they are just hand tight, I can only assume it failed. That would not be good, as the seal was gone, just the threaded insert remained. It could have leaked fuel, so I'll send them back for a replacement, and leave the brass ones in place, unless I am testing.

It does look like the fuel economy (if you can call it that with an 8 liter engine) has improved dramatically. I am at a 1/2 tank for the long weekend. Usually, the whole tank would be gone by now, so I will only know the true reading when I fill up the tank a little later.

post #304 of 313 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Well things went wrong in a bad way tonight.

My recently brand new floor jack has a wonderful rubber pad on the top, in between the tangs of the lift pad. When this gets a tiny bit of oil on it... it slips like greased rubber.

My jack slipped while lifting the rear end and damaged the gas tank and exhaust.

Caused the tank to leak badly, so a whole bunch of clean up.

Luckily (after the earlier jack failure) I am nowhere near underneath the car. But it's out of commission for at least a week until I get all of this fixed and get a new tank in her.

If you have one of these jacks, rip the pad out and throw it in the garbage...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1369.jpg (343.2 KB, 15 views)
Huntingky likes this.

post #305 of 313 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Finally, it looks like my gas tank is slated to ship. It's been a tough year with all that's going on, getting enough driving time in.

My dog keeps looking at the car in the garage and wanting to go for a ride
68Hildago likes this.

post #306 of 313 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:12 PM

Sorry to hear about your mishap, good to know you are back on track!
post #307 of 313 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygta View Post
Sorry to hear about your mishap, good to know you are back on track!

Thanks... it is getting there again.

I did a little bit of work on the new version of my Helmholtz resonator
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1771.jpg (519.9 KB, 6 views)
Huntingky likes this.

post #308 of 313 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:28 AM

Send a message via MSN to Blue Blood
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripped View Post
Thanks... it is getting there again.

I did a little bit of work on the new version of my Helmholtz resonator
Can you explain a little more about what youíre doing? I know a resonator is used to help control sound/drone. Sometimes Iíve seen them installed as a leg off the main exhaust but it doesnít have flow through. Other times itís a smaller unit installed between header and muffler.

1995 GT Convertible - Laser Red - 331 stroker, Kenne Bell 2.2 - 415 RWHP 396 RWTQ
2002 Corvette Z06 - 410 RWHP 410 RWTQ
1968 Mustang Fastback .... Rustbucket slowly being reborn
post #309 of 313 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blood View Post
Can you explain a little more about what youíre doing? I know a resonator is used to help control sound/drone. Sometimes Iíve seen them installed as a leg off the main exhaust but it doesnít have flow through. Other times itís a smaller unit installed between header and muffler.
Yes I'll have some photos, when I am done

For now the gas tank came in and I installed it today. I didn't want to get bogged down with the welding of the resonators. Took pretty much most of the day to install the tank and put the miscellaneous parts back on. The tank looks nice. I got to use my tank lock ring installation tool, that I made, for the second time. It works so perfectly. No issues with getting the new fuel level sending unit mounted leak free. No hammer and screwdriver (lol)

Hopefully later this week I'll have the resonators reworked, welded with photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1835.jpg (376.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1833.jpg (388.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1826.jpg (385.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1825.jpg (417.8 KB, 5 views)
Grabber70Mach and Blue Blood like this.

post #310 of 313 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Things are going okay. A lot of the exhaust welding is done, a full day more to install the new resonators.

I was, however, noticing the operating temperature creeping up a bit higher than normal. The rad fluid was a little low, so I topped it up, but that in itself is unusual. When I checked yesterday, I noticed coolant under the proximity of the overflow can. When I checked it was not the overflow leaking.
It looks like either the aluminum rad is leaking, or a fitting is leaking. I'll need to pressure test it. I have a feeling it's a hole in the rad though.
Huntingky likes this.

post #311 of 313 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

The Helmholtz resonators that I made were too big, so I ended up cutting them down.
I added a second pair just ahead of the muffler. That seems to have done the trick, along with a votex cone. Those things are pricy but do take off the rasp a bit. (Geeze I must be getting old lol)
Anyway, I thought I was buying a pair. Instead, there was only one in the box. After playing around making a replica out of stainless, I decided to use the one I bought on the other side instead of sending it back.

Now I just have to fix the sudden rad leak

post #312 of 313 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

A few nights of fun sorting out the radiator "leak" issue and front end.

I did notice when taking out the radiator, that the lower hose started dripping fluid quite quickly... probably a sign

So after taking everything apart, it seems that the lower portion of the rad support welds were all loose, or not attached anymore or not welded properly in the first place. Haunted by the welding dude that messed up the car in several areas way back when.

So I decided to pressure test the radiator, find the leak and try and patch it. There were some indications of rubbing of the aluminum bottom tank on the x-member. The pressure test indicated that the radiator has no leaks and held for 30 minutes.

So given that and the location of the drips, I'd say it was the lower hose clamp.

Tonight I used my spot weld cutter to prep the whole front x-member and strut rod supports (which were noted to have cracks on the one side)

The nice thing I found out, was that using flux wire in my MIG made it easier to have penetrative upsidedown welds. The welds did seem to be hotter though and made it tricky welding the thinner metal together. Pretty low settings.

I was happy though and ground all the welds, seam sealed, primed and painted tonight. Should be ready to put the rad back in tomorrow after work

post #313 of 313 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Not so fast.
Welding is done, but once the radiator was dropped back into the car, I pressure tested it before going much further.

Nope, it did not hold pressure. Slow leak.

So I'll have to fill it again, since I noticed the dripping under the rad near the overflow or right hand front of the car.

I guess at this point, I am hoping indeed that it is a rad issue and not something else

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page