All Ford Nationals at Route 66 Raceway - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

I drove my Mustang to the Route 66 Raceway on Sunday. Unlike last year, the weather was perfect: sunny with a nice cool breeze. The problem with the cool weather is that you don't notice that you're getting burnt to a crisp.

I decided to participate in the car show and won a top-twenty Mustang award. All winners lined up and drove though the dragway's main entrance, spoke briefy over the PA, and did a little burnout for the crowd (on the road next to the race lanes). Very cool.

Naturally, there were plenty of 5.0 Mustangs both on the track and in the shoe, but there were plenty of cool old Fords. In the show, there were two very cool Galaxies, one 68 Mustang Fastback (besides mine), a very nice orange 69 Shelby, a custom Shelby GT 350S (which may have on Best in Show, and last year's winner of best engine: a 20s era Ford.

I'm always amazed by the large number of racers: cars, trailers, and people as far as the eye can see. They must spend a fortune on that sport.

Several jet-powered cars raced, one being a giant ambulance with a humongous jet engine. The power those generate is awesome. A wide variety of cars raced. I'm partial to the vintage Fords, and really would like to see show participant duke it out.

I'll try to post photos tonight or tomorrow. I shot some video, but I don't yet have the tools to edit a nice small clip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 08:46 PM

Congrats on getting into the top 20. Your car deserves it.
Will hopefully make it next year.

Bill
68 GT 390 Fastback S Code
69 Mach1 A/T A/C
68 Convertable-Project-Straight 6/Auto

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 11:51 PM

Cool

Cool!

It's nice to hear that your drive down to my neck of the woods payed off! ::

Ken
07 ROUSH 427R his
69 M code mach1 hers(or that's what I tell her)
I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile.... Roger Taylor
home.earthlink.net/~kmto3/my1966emberglomustang/

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Here are some photos from the show. They include both race and show cars. I didn't photograph the track, but have some video. However, I'm not sure I'll be able to post it on the web. Photos - All Ford Nationals
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 10:34 AM

Great photos. I would have been at that show 'cept I got scheduled to work the weekend.
Good thing no rain, unlike last year when it poured Sunday.
I like all shows, but for them to charge $25.00, ($40.00 for both days or more) then only give out a top 20 one day, then some class trophys the next is a liitle silly. Can you say "we're in this for the money"?
But if you are into Fomoco stuff, this is all we have. Yo'd think they'd have contacted a lot of local clubs to get more cars there.
One other beef unless they changed this. do they have a "Vintage racing class"? I don't recall, but this whole NMRA is pretty much geared to late models.

Roddster
67 GT 350: MCA & SAAC Gold winner
67 S code GTA coupe
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

I don't believe that there is a vintage class, but plenty of vintage cars raced. I photographed some of the vintage race cars, but certainly not all. Nonetheless, late-model stangs dominated.

I agree, the price is steep, but it includes access to the dragway and swap meet. (I think race-only tickets were $10/day.)

Yes, unlike last year, the weather was perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page