Small rant/ what would you do? - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I just got an email from Chris at Mustang restorations. As I posted earlier he was doing the engine on the 66. When I got the car from Volo, I was told it had a 289. Was not told if it was original to the car or not. Over the two years I have had the car, I found and changed a lot of little things that told me this car was originally a 66, but had a lot of donor parts from a 65. (the car was built in April 66, so I know these were not end of year parts put on this car). Well, imagine my surprise when Chris told me it had a 302 from a 68! My question, what do you think I should do? Should I call Volo to at least let them know they need to examine their cars better? Should I just put this in the buyer beware lesson? I know others have had questionable thoughts about those cars, and if I had it to do all over, I don't think I would have bought from them. I would have probably tried to do what Jason did, and just rebuild a car. He KNOWS what is in his car!
I know that the answer would be to have done more research, but I guess the horse, or Mustang as it is, is already out of the barn door!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 07:44 PM

Ken,
Sorry to hear that, I would tell Volo, even though it probably will not help you now but they should know. It is difficult to tell the difference between an 289 and 302 so it could have been an honest mistake. The only way to really tell is look at the engine number under the starter or when the intake if off, or if you have the valve covers off, you will at least tell if it had 289 or 302 heads. Not real easy to do of course. My car actually has a 302 block with 289 heads, but that was because my car was built late in '68 and Ford was switching over to the 302, but was sold as a 289.
Goodluck!

1929 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan
1986 GT Convertible

<><
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 09:25 PM
Otis Campbell
Supporting Member

Garage
I don't think that you should feel bad. I would not have expected
a place like Volo to do that either.

But I would definately try to find out what they say if you tell them.

The thing is, what do you really want them to do? It's not like you would
really want to give the car back to thm at this point right?

Do you know what kind of condition the 302 is in? Might think about asking
them to swap it for a 289 if you need to rebuild it anyway.

-Zim

Jason Zimberoff [email protected] - 64.5 convertible
260 V8 - C4 Auto - Power Top - Console - 4 Wheel Drums

Zim's 64.5 Mustang -- Mustang Color Archive -- Chicago Vintage Mustang Club

"Nobody ever learned anything from listening to themselves talk..." - My grandfather

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 09:25 PM

I'd do, what you are doing right now. Alerting the local potentail customers with a little "buyer beware".
But, like any other Mustang that has been for sale lately, you need to be armed with knowlege as this seems to be an increasingly eBay type world where it's OK to play stupid.

Roddster
67 GT 350: MCA & SAAC Gold winner
67 S code GTA coupe
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Chris is swapping out the 302 with a fresh correct 289. This car is now beyond being a numbers matching concourse car.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 12:42 AM
Otis Campbell
Supporting Member

Garage
Still, as with past occurrences of vendor troubles, I still think it would
be a good idea for you to at least get a reaction from Volo.

Part of being able to air our problems here also requires, according to the
rules set by Bob and myself, that we give the vendor a chance to respond to the
problem.

If they don't respond, or respond in a bad way, we would like to know that too.

If they offer to do something for you, even if you don't take them up on it,
that would also be a good thing to know.

If your car was mis-represented by one of the biggest re-sellers of Mustangs
locally, (which you decided to post about it in a public forum), I think it
would be a good idea to at least follow up on it, and let us know what they
say.

If you decide not to follow up on it, I just want to note here in this thread
that future customers should take that into account too.

Good luck with the whole thing!

And thanks,

-Zim

Jason Zimberoff [email protected] - 64.5 convertible
260 V8 - C4 Auto - Power Top - Console - 4 Wheel Drums

Zim's 64.5 Mustang -- Mustang Color Archive -- Chicago Vintage Mustang Club

"Nobody ever learned anything from listening to themselves talk..." - My grandfather
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 11:00 AM

I would suggest that unless you would feel better about talking or possibly yelling at someone at Volo, just let it go. There's nothing they can do right now except give you a discount on the next car? an oil change??

As Randy states the difference between a 289 and 302 is very difficult to catch. Ken says that never actually told him it was an original or #'s matching car.

So without stamping all over the political correctness required, I think Ken didn't actually bash a vendor, he just found out his motor wasn't original. He asked what we would do and I wouldn't get myself all worked up calling and finding out after a year they weren't going to do anything. It's in great hands with Chris, repeat after me oooohhhmmmm - ooohhhmmm :winkgrin:....JMHO

Borrow money from pessimists -- they don't expect it back
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 01:42 PM

If it was a car that they had on consignment, they will most likely just say that they sold it as the buyer represented it.

It is worth a call, and let us know what happens.

Paul

67 GTA Fastback - A Code
69 Torino Cobra Fastback - R Code
69 Ranchero GT
13 GT/CS Coupe

[IMG]http://home.comcast.net/~pbader5/wsb...8/site1084.jpg[/IMG]
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Well, made the call today. Talked with Brian, and just kind of rambled on about the problem. As Randy and Chris both mentioned he said the same thing. He did say that unless the car is a rare car, has a "K" code engine, ect. they do not do a complete tear down to verify the previous owners statements. As he mentioned, and is true, I did not buy this particular car because it had a big sexy engine, but because I just liked this car. I never pressed the issue, so no offer of atonement was made, or asked for. After I have had time to think the issue over, and have heard opinions from others much wiser into Mustangs than I, I will just be happy that Chris caught the difference, told me about it, and is swapping the old engine out with a "newly" rebuilt 289. All for the same cost he quoted me. :highfive:
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 07:05 PM

Well, maybe at least it will suggest they tighten up on what they say is correct. It had better be. At least with the Fomoco products.

Roddster
67 GT 350: MCA & SAAC Gold winner
67 S code GTA coupe
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 10:10 PM

Ken,

Sorry to hear about your problem with the motor. As you know I had the same problem when I got the mach 1. Said even in the ad as you saw too it had a 351W in it and after getting it here from New York I find its a 302 :pissed: Well I did have to go and buy a 351W to put back in it and I did talk to the seller on it and tried to get some recourse. Atleast buy the 351W to replace the advertised motor. He did offer to buy the car back from me at the same price I bought it for but by that time I already had a lot more invested in it to sell it back at the same price. Sometimes you just have to let it go and chaulk it up as a learning experience. Granted it was the first time buying a car site unseen but I did learn a lesson from it and just bit the bullet and bought the parts I needed to put it back together and as I knew he could have easily sold it again for the same price and I would be looking for another for probably much more then what I originally paid in the first place.

Bill
68 GT 390 Fastback S Code
69 Mach1 A/T A/C
68 Convertable-Project-Straight 6/Auto

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 11:06 PM

Sorry to hear about that Ken but at least you won't be out anything on the "new" 289. I'd be more upset if the car was advertised as "all original" but in your case it sounds like it wasn't. Glad things are gonna work out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page