Indy Mustang & Ford Show - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 08:29 AM

Well we are leaving between 9 and 10 Friday morning, going 294 to 80/94 to 65.

1929 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan
1986 GT Convertible

<><
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Hope everyone made the trip home without any major events. It was good to meet up with Randy, where was everyone else? (Nice car Randy!)

Track lap was a joke. A slow crawl at 10-15 mph around Indy sucks. Last time I drove the track (over 30 years ago) they let us go. I know that's not possible these days with liability issues but come on...

Otherwise an enjoyable show. Nice turnout from the CIM'ers. Didn't see or hear of anyone from NMC there but I guess there were a couple of SG members there.

Who else did I miss?
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 09:30 AM

I'll have to agree with you on the track tour. I literally got on the accelerator pedal like four times - the rest of the time I was idling around the track. It seems the older the Yellow shirts get the slower we go. We used to go about 55 - then it went down to 30, now we idle. It's pretty bad. I'll make a note of it and get back with the show chairman, because I agree with you.

Dave :p

David Stribling
Dave Stribling Restorations
Dave Stribling Restorations

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 10:13 AM

Enjoyed the show as usual! It would be great to get up to speed on the track, but still is a great privilege to even be on the track. I was VERY disappointed in some of the boneheads that did not follow the rules that were explained to us several times during the show. There was a 69 Mach that drove on the inside, one of the officials had to drive over and tell him to move back, when the official left, he went right back. Then the bonehead that did a burnout, what a moron! Then a guy passed some cars, it was terrible how people do not listen to the rules and could have very well ruined it for everyone else. You might not agree with the rules, but at least follow them. Sure you are going slow on the track, but you are on a very historical track, driving your own car, that in itself is a privilege. This is our 3rd year going and will be back next year, hopefully it will be MUCH cooler! Merlyn, great talking with you, you do have a beautiful car. Dave, great seeing you again, did a great job announcing! I will post some pictures later today. BTW, I am never going I65 again, there was an accident just out of Indy, 1 1/2 hours on the interstate, not moving, and HOT, not pleasant in a 38 year old car!

1986 GT Convertible

<><
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 11:07 AM

Another accident? same as last year remember Randy. Lucky last year the wife had the GPS and we got off and went around it.

Idle was an understatement I had to have my foot on the break the whole time but at least I was pole position last year, still wish I could have had pictures of that. Wish I could have gone this year but too broke. Glad to hear everyone had a good time, so what about awards? who did what?
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

I got first in my class, also got invited to "Billy Jay's Exclusive Ford Event". Check out this link for coverage on last years event:

http://www.myclassiccar.com/MCCTV/20...07/index.shtml

Looks like I'm going back to Indy in a few weeks...
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 02:32 PM

Hey Russ,
Yeah, same location as last year, must be a bad spot on the interstate, but I was no where near an exit . I recieved 3rd in my class of about 8 cars. I was a bit disappointed because my car was more correct then the others, I really should have entered into concours, the only other concours entry was a 68 fastback, it needed work to get closer to concours, was a very nice car. I am at the stage of being too correct for street driven and not correct enough for concours. BTW there was another 68 there that was Meadowlark Yellow with a saddle interior, the original color of mine. Well let me say any thought that I had to return it to that color combo is totally gone now, yikes, now I know why only 47 were made in that trim that year!

1986 GT Convertible

<><
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 07:28 PM

Congratulations! I was there, got 3rd in street driven 98-04 open. This is only my second judged show Oh yes, I was the one who left after my award because I was getting hit pretty hard with the hot temperatures. I totally apologize but it couldn't be helped.

Would have been nice to go faster on that track....but I still think it was pretty cool to be able to say I got to drive a lap on Indy!
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangShar
Congratulations! I was there, got 3rd in street driven 98-04 open. This is only my second judged show Oh yes, I was the one who left after my award because I was getting hit pretty hard with the hot temperatures. I totally apologize but it couldn't be helped.

Would have been nice to go faster on that track....but I still think it was pretty cool to be able to say I got to drive a lap on Indy!
Thanks and congrats on your award! I totally understand having to leave. At the Johnson City show I was hit so hard by the sun the day before and the next morning I just couldn't stay past the awards presentation in my class. I didn't leave the show but I just had to get out of the sun. As you probably know tents, canopies, umbrellas, etc are not allowed at MCA shows and there was absolutely NO shade around the awards ceremony. They would have been hauling me away in an ambulance if I would have stayed up there any longer...
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 09:57 PM

Quote:

Congrats Shar! I also left right after my trophy, it was brutal out there! Wanted to get home and cool off! Was not a bad drive except the 1 1/2 hour stand still on I65. Had a mini car show right there on the interstate !

1986 GT Convertible

<><
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 10:27 PM

I'll tell you...I am amazed at your classic stangs! When I see how beautifull the cars are, it blows me away! : )

Whoa...how long of a back up on I 65?? How'd you go?

I took 74 out to Champaign and I 57 to 80 West then I 55 to 355 Nice drive no traffic. The ONLY way I'll go now. I will do anything to avoid Chicago/Gary IN mess...

Now who is going to the Springfield show next month? Anyone coming to our Landmark Ford Show Aug 13th? www.stallionsgate.org Ours is participant judged.....sorry

I really enjoyed this show and kind of like being able to stay overnight-something NEW for me. Lots of nice people I met.: ) To bad I did not get to meet you guys.

Well now I do not feel bad about leaving in the middle of awards. Keep in touch I'll post up the Springfield show info if its not already here.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I'll tell you...I am amazed at your classic stangs! When I see how beautifull the cars are, it blows me away! : )

Whoa...how long of a back up on I 65?? How'd you go?

I took 74 out to Champaign and I 57 to 80 West then I 55 to 355 Nice drive no traffic. The ONLY way I'll go now. I will do anything to avoid Chicago/Gary IN mess...

Now who is going to the Springfield show next month? Anyone coming to our Landmark Ford Show Aug 13th? www.stallionsgate.org Ours is participant judged.....sorry

I really enjoyed this show and kind of like being able to stay overnight-something NEW for me. Lots of nice people I met.: ) To bad I did not get to meet you guys.

Well now I do not feel bad about leaving in the middle of awards. Keep in touch I'll post up the Springfield show info if its not already here.

Thanks for the nice comments! I love these kind of shows, stay over the weekend, its a nice getaway. I will NEVER go I65 again, it was about 20 miles north of Indy, total stand still.
Not sure about Landmark yet, I think we had something planned but I will look again.

1986 GT Convertible

<><
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Shar, there is nothing wrong with a participant judged show as long as it is done properly. NIMC has it down. When they host a show their members cars are not eligable for any awards, they are there for display only. This eliminates club members voting for each other which is so prevailent in participant judged shows and over time encourages new participants since they know they may actually have a chance at an award. If you make the Bourbonnais show this year pay attention, this is how a participant judged show should be done IMHO.

Good luck with your club's show, if I wasn't already planning on attending the MCA National show in Erie that weekend I would be there. That plan may change with gas prices so you never know, I might just make it...
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 09:00 PM

I am on the Board and I never thought about that view point and of course it is very valid! I'm going to pass it on and see how what they think. I have been to Bourbonnaise...OMG HUGE HUGE show and loved it at Perry Farm! But there are so many...my little stang just gets lost in the shuffle LOL I am still debating on that show. But it's a blast going to INDY or even the Springfield show.

Again...IF you decide against Erie, please come to Landmark. We are striving to make many improvements within our club structure and you have just given me a new direction starting with OUR car show!
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 10:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to j21moss
It's Official! 239 Entries! Thanks for all who came to the show and hope eveybody had a great time I know it was very hot out there..next time Shar!! don't forget to turn on the cool switch so it won't be so hot! LMAO!! anyway sorry about the deal about the problems about how slow we went on the track..still trying to figure it out why they did it but at IMS..I don't think anybody can figure them out but really here at MCI really wants to thank everybody who did come and next year's plans are already in discussion to make it even better! How about them trophies? Jerry Sullivan did a lot of digging to come up with them ideas..so please give him a hand.. The diecast cars on top of the best of class trophies were outstanding.. and the best engine that motor even ran!!..anyway.. everybody please keep in touch and sooner or later we'll come together again Peace out The Dr.!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page