Vintage Mustang Forums

Vintage Mustang Forums (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/)
-   Chicago Area VMFers (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/chicago-area-vmfers/)
-   -   Tail of the Dragon / Deals Gap (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/chicago-area-vmfers/662535-tail-dragon-deals-gap.html)

jguinta 06-13-2013 12:52 PM

Tail of the Dragon / Deals Gap

Hello All,

I would like to put a question out there:

Who would consider a road trip to Tail of the Dragon? 318 turns in 11 miles. It is located on the TN/NC border in the Cherohala Skyway. Check it out at Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, motorcycle and sport car two lane tourism serving Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner28, Devils Triangle, and Six Gap North Georgia. It is a stretch of road one will not forget. Maybe tie it in with trip to Charlotte??

I have done this thing twice, once in a Jeep Grand Cherokee and the other in the Taurus SHO I drive now. I have to do this in MadeULook..

First time I was there about 60 Buell motorcycles from the east coat club were taking turns. They were going knee to knee. It was quite a site.

The dam Harrison Ford jumps off of in the movie "The Fugitive" is on this road.

Give it some thought.

John

gt350sr 06-13-2013 02:13 PM

If it weren't so expensive to ship it there, I'd like to cruise my GT350 down the Hana Highway in Hawii. I did it a few years ago in a 2010 Mustang vert, but would like to do it again in mine! The road has something like 100 bridges and what seems like a million turns as it follows the edge of the mountain along the ocean. Great fun, but don't look over the edge- There's a guardrail on most, 1-2 feet of edge, then a straight drop hundreds of feet to the ocean! Google it- waaaay cool!

69fback 06-18-2013 06:16 PM

I just returned from NC from the Hot Rod Power Tour and didn't do it but many of the guys on the tour did. That's my only regret from the tour this year.

Ricks 66 06-18-2013 06:26 PM

I just did that trip on the Harley earlier this month. What a great ride. Spent three days riding down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Then three days in the Smokey Mountains and tail of the Dragon

Pics https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a713xodc58k14if/Z8V6WNXFXU

However my favorite road is still the Beartooth hwy and Chief Joseph byway.

wilit 06-19-2013 02:16 AM

I did Deals Gap a couple of years ago in a rented Chevy Cobalt. Those poor brakes were never the same again. It was definitely a fun run. If I wasn't on the wrong side of the country, I'd be all over this trip.

dzahm 06-19-2013 08:00 AM

I did it, and would do it again. It was like trip number 3 after awakening the vert from a 28 yr slumber. Wife and I liked it. It was very curvy, (think scenic, not road race) In fact for those not from these parts- that will get you or a motorcyclist killed- it happens every yr) That said- I have lived here all my life, and that (and a few other areas in the same neck of the woods) are stunningly beautiful. You would also not go here (in your classic stang) from Nov to March due to snow, ice, salt. But count me in- Lots of stuff to do, wareagle might be interested since he has a bike. You will be tired from turning (esp manual steering guys) but super awesome ride- They have guys taking pics to post/sell on the net. I especially liked looking up the pics, (esp showing how other cars lean in the turns- the vert has NO body roll- even the wife noticed)

Oh one last thing: the speedlimit is 35ish- and they have a policeman or two in there watching due to all the crashing (mainly bikes) Believe it- and hold it there, they are serious about this- they don't care if you are a bike, or an RV- its 35; enjoy the scenery!

wareagle 06-19-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzahm (Post 4440295)
I did it, and would do it again. It was like trip number 3 after awakening the vert from a 28 yr slumber. Wife and I liked it. It was very curvy, (think scenic, not road race) In fact for those not from these parts- that will get you or a motorcyclist killed- it happens every yr) That said- I have lived here all my life, and that (and a few other areas in the same neck of the woods) are stunningly beautiful. You would also not go here (in your classic stang) from Nov to March due to snow, ice, salt. But count me in- Lots of stuff to do, wareagle might be interested since he has a bike. You will be tired from turning (esp manual steering guys) but super awesome ride- They have guys taking pics to post/sell on the net. I especially liked looking up the pics, (esp showing how other cars lean in the turns- the vert has NO body roll- even the wife noticed)

Oh one last thing: the speedlimit is 35ish- and they have a policeman or two in there watching due to all the crashing (mainly bikes) Believe it- and hold it there, they are serious about this- they don't care if you are a bike, or an RV- its 35; enjoy the scenery!

Totally in for the Dragon's Tail. Not fond of curvy roads (i.e., Blue Ridge Parkway) on my bike, but would love to say I rode the DT.

jguinta 06-27-2013 09:14 AM

OK, I am going to look into this in greater detail. My plan is to align this with a trip to Charlotte for Mustang's 50th gathering. This could be a huge Mustang Power Tour.

dzahm 06-27-2013 09:17 AM

Didn't realize this was posted in the local area forums- but still interested, and I suspect others would be too. Esp if it lines up with the 50th. Maybe consider moving this thread to gen discussion (or contact a mod to make this a sticky) if you want this to go BIG!

jguinta 06-27-2013 10:20 AM

Good idea to move the thread.

Blue68Coupe 06-27-2013 12:19 PM

It's on my list to do, luckily I don't have to go too r.

riles 06-27-2013 07:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey John,
Got a guy looking for Shelby fiberglass. You recommend anyone?

jguinta 06-29-2013 02:13 PM

Shelby Parts in Green Bay - may have some original pieces - Jim will help you for sure 920-434-3645
Tony Branda in PA - Repro but accurate 814-942-1869
All Classic Motors in North Dakota lots of OS and NOS stuff Mustang Parts, Boss Parts and Shelby Parts, Mustang Parts, Mustang, Boss & Shelby Mustang* Parts Restoration
Cobra Automotive in CT. talk to Scotty 203-284-3863

There is Delta Bay in CA - freight can be an issue if it's a big piece. 925-634-7776

RJ Restorations - Elverta, CA 916-991-4006 - could have something - I found NOS steel here.

Conover Racing and Restorations (Tony) - Hanover PA 717-637-6964 Shelby Guy - beautiful work

riles 06-30-2013 05:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks John.