Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Cougar Part Numbers on My '67 Mustang

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  phudecek 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a San Jose '67 390 Mustang made in late June '67. The carb has a cougar part number for the correct 390 application. Is it reasonable to assume that San Jose used what they had when assembling cars, or should I assume the carb was switched out?

#2 ·
Based on what I've seen, read, and with an interview of the "390 engineer" in 67/68 the carb would have been installed at the Dearborn engine plant (DEP) and was part of the "hot test". So no it was not a random thing in San Jose. If you provide a little more info we might be able to determine if it is correct or not. What are the carb numbers? What is on the engine ID tag? What is the DSO? Is this a closed emission car or not? Thermactor or not? What transmission?

#3 ·
Carb

Hello,

Thanks for the response, I think I had the wrong reference data. My carb is a C7OF-9510-B, mustangtek.com lists this carb as a non-emissions, auto carb, C7OF-B The car is a 67 GTA convertible and came with a closed crankcase emission system, exhaust emission control, 390, C6, A/C and P/S. DSO was Los Angeles

So, I guess my question would be whether the C7OF-9510-B was installed on emission controlled cars with the above build options.

#4 ·
According to the Ford shop manual you need a C7OF-9510-D for a Mustang 390-4V auto with emission control

mustangtek concurs.

This site confirms the application but I think they have the DSO's incorrect - Carburetor - Holley 4150 - 4V - 600 CFM - 390 - Automatic Transmission - Core ~ 1967 Mercury Cougar / 1967 Ford Mustang (24061) at West Coast Classic Cougar :: Specializing in 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, and 1973 Mercury Cougar Parts

Here is a post with some pics C7OF-9510-D List 3796 Date 721

Based on that I would say that my confidence is high on the C7OF-D. What would seal the deal is an original unrestored car based confirmation.

John

#5 ·
Carb

Thanks for the link, I am a member of the concours forum, but lost my PW and am not getting any response to recover it.

Regarding the carb, I agree that it seems incorrect and for originality should be changed out, but I have heard stories of Ford using available parts to make up for shortcomings in inventory, and thought I'd ask if this was an area where it might have happened.

#6 ·
I could see where at an assembly plant if they ran out of a specific bolt they decide to use something equivalent. But remember that they did not have the current " just in time" culture back then and those responsible for keeping parts bins full did not have any reason to take risks.

However for something as critical as a carburetor I would really doubt that they would be substituted at the engine assembly plant. Personally I would demand some hard evidence that it occurred.

#7 ·
The other point to keep in mind is that the car was certified for sale in California with the emission control systems which specified that particular carb. If I am not mistaken, back in the day, a brand new car sold by a California new car dealership required a smog check/certificate as part of the registration process so failing the smog test on a new car could be problematic on multiple levels. Unless someone was behaving poorly on the assembly line, I would expect that the "wrong" carb was not a common occurance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.