Vintage Mustang Forums

Vintage Mustang Forums (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/)
-   Engine and Drivetrain Parts For Sale (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/engine-drivetrain-parts-sale/)
-   -   Wanted: Stock 289 rocker arms (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/engine-drivetrain-parts-sale/1153360-wanted-stock-289-rocker-arms.html)

xcelr8 03-03-2019 10:40 AM

Wanted: Stock 289 rocker arms

My current rocker arms are pretty worn on the tips and need replacing. I'm not building a crazy engine, just a slight bump over stock for now. It's nuts what they want for new OE rockers out there.

Anyone have a nice used set they would sell? Stud type mount with the ball and nut.

Thanks!

gikort 03-03-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcelr8 (Post 10120334)
My current rocker arms are pretty worn on the tips and need replacing. I'm not building a crazy engine, just a slight bump over stock for now. It's nuts what they want for new OE rockers out there.

Anyone have a nice used set they would sell? Stud type mount with the ball and nut.

Thanks!

I might still have a set you can have if i didn't already toss them. Message me so I remember to check tonight.

rose62 03-03-2019 12:28 PM

Rail type or slotted pushrod type heads?

xcelr8 03-03-2019 02:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gikort (Post 10120374)
I might still have a set you can have if i didn't already toss them. Message me so I remember to check tonight.

That would be great! Message on way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rose62 (Post 10120404)
Rail type or slotted pushrod type heads?

These are pushrod style. Pic of my rebuilt head and one of the rockers that came off it.

gikort 03-03-2019 09:09 PM

Guess I got rid of them. I cant find them anywhere. Sorry!

xcelr8 03-03-2019 09:23 PM

No worries thanks!

markb0729 03-03-2019 10:17 PM

He has the slotted pushrod guide holes in the head and by the amount of the valve tip sticking above the valve/spring retainer indicates these heads are change level 10. Non-rail rockers are needed in this case. A word of caution here. Unless everything is 100% stock in the valve train (Did you change the cam?), be sure to check the pushrod length.

I'm not sure what you are seeing in terms of prices for the OE style rockers but I just checked NPD and they cost $24 a piece. Holy crap! You may want to consider the Comp Cams roller tip rockers (1442-16) as an option. I put these on my 289 with low profile valve covers and have been happy. No problems so far. A complete set (16) with ball and nut at Summit is $161.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-1442-16

NEPM 03-04-2019 07:53 AM

I have many of these rocker arm, if you still need them.

xcelr8 03-04-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markb0729 (Post 10120834)
He has the slotted pushrod guide holes in the head and by the amount of the valve tip sticking above the valve/spring retainer indicates these heads are change level 10. Non-rail rockers are needed in this case. A word of caution here. Unless everything is 100% stock in the valve train (Did you change the cam?), be sure to check the pushrod length.

I'm not sure what you are seeing in terms of prices for the OE style rockers but I just checked NPD and they cost $24 a piece. Holy crap! You may want to consider the Comp Cams roller tip rockers (1442-16) as an option. I put these on my 289 with low profile valve covers and have been happy. No problems so far. A complete set (16) with ball and nut at Summit is $161.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-1442-16

Only modification I've made is Comp Cams High Energy cam which the rep at SEMA said could be used with stock rockers and pushrods. I'm also using their matching valve springs.

Yeah, $24 ea.... take a hike. Not sure what everyone is making these things from but I need to get in on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEPM (Post 10120940)
I have many of these rocker arm, if you still need them.

Do still need and would appreciate any you can part with.

markb0729 03-04-2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcelr8 (Post 10121030)
Only modification I've made is Comp Cams High Energy cam which the rep at SEMA said could be used with stock rockers and pushrods. I'm also using their matching valve springs.

Something changed so I would check anyway. You can buy a pushrod length checker at summit and check for the correct length when putting the engine back together. Cheap insurance that the rebuild is done right. Decking the block or milling the heads also count as a change.

The reason I’m stressing this is that my 289 was rebuilt by a so called “Ford Expert”. The cam installed was closer to stock than yours. The block was decked and heads milled. Everything except the cam was stock. To make a long story short the rockers were riding towards the edge of the valve tip. One of the rockers would ride off the valve tip and contact the spring retainer. This caused the rocker to tilt and dig into the rocker stud. Good thing I caught this in time before I dropped a valve or sheered off the rocker stud. After I redid the heads and reinstalled them, I checked the pushrod length and stock pushrods were too long. I installed the correct length pushrods and all is well.

xcelr8 03-04-2019 11:40 AM

Great information, thanks for the heads up :)