Aftermarket AC Fitment - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Aftermarket AC Fitment

Just curious, my 68 coupe was an original AC car.
It still has all the underdash AC /heater stuff in it.
I donít plan on having AC in the car, maybe not ever.
Iíd really like to get rid of all that stuff under the dash for space and weight.

The question:
For aftermarket AC /Heater units, is Any of that original stuff needed?
Can I get rid of it all and it I ever go back just the aftermarket stuff?

I donít have any of the stuff that accompanies this system under the hood. The car didnít come with any of it. Iím only asking about the under the dash stuff, mainly heater box etc under the passenger side dash.

Thanks for the guidance.
Thx
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Dang it, posted to wrong folder

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 10:52 PM

Aftermarket systems will not reuse any of the under dash parts. I would recommend saving the center vent and side vents though. Most aftermarket systems use somewhat cheesy looking plastic vents. You can plumb their hoses to the original vents though for a much better look.

Some things to consider. The defroster vents are different on A/C cars. You will likley have to swap it. (Not a fun job). The A/C system has a water cut off switch for the heater. You should be able to use it with the new A/C system. There is a vacuum canister for the A/C system. Make sure you properly plug the vacuum feeds when you remove the system.

If you do decide to pull it, let me know there are a couple small pieces Iíd be interested in.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Aftermarket AC Fitment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flade View Post
Aftermarket systems will not reuse any of the under dash parts. I would recommend saving the center vent and side vents though. Most aftermarket systems use somewhat cheesy looking plastic vents. You can plumb their hoses to the original vents though for a much better look.

Some things to consider. The defroster vents are different on A/C cars. You will likley have to swap it. (Not a fun job). The A/C system has a water cut off switch for the heater. You should be able to use it with the new A/C system. There is a vacuum canister for the A/C system. Make sure you properly plug the vacuum feeds when you remove the system.

If you do decide to pull it, let me know there are a couple small pieces Iíd be interested in.

Oh, I would totally keep vents in place.
Not sure thatís a good idea, you know how our transactions go!!
Totally kidding Lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page