Everything for Toploader Swap (except Toploader) - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Everything for Toploader Swap (except Toploader)

I've decided to stick with an auto in my Mustang. Here's a list of the parts I have. This should be a complete conversion minus maybe some nuts, bolts or washers.

Roller Clutch Linkage Kit
Block Bracket
Hurst Shifter
Clutch Roller Pedal Conversion (includes pedals and pedal bracket/housing already modified by Mustang Steve)
Speedometer Cable
Flywheel Bolts
Pilot Bearing
Flywheel
Shift Boot
SD Shift Boot Retainer
Hurst Shifter Install kit
JBA Z-Bar

This would cost you $1458.36 to buy (see attachment).

Not included is the cost of the pedals and bracket that I bought off ebay. These are the only parts that are not brand new. Also not included is the work put into researching a complete kit with nice upgrades.

I will let it go for $1250 plus actual cost of shipping.

I also have a Valeo King Cobra clutch pressure plate and disc, this a late model style clutch (no helper spring needed) that will work with the flywheel and has the correct Valeo disc (be careful on ebay trying to buy these, some come with a very cheap disc): $150. Leaving this out of the package because it's more of a personal choice what clutch you go with. This clutch should handle 400hp.

I do have a toploader but it is from a Fairlane or Torino and needs a Mustang tailshaft housing. I do not want to ship it. For a local guy I'd sell it for $600, or $500 if he gets the rest of the stuff too.

I might separate but if you make an offer on something, realize I'm going to want to be within a certain percentage of the new cost, plus shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toploaderswap.jpg (134.2 KB, 13 views)

1965 Mustang

Last edited by jdub; 09-02-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

I figured someone would have jumped all over this by now. Am I off base here?

1965 Mustang
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM

Itís a good deal for someone ready and waiting to make the switch, however the price point may be a tad high. You are discounting it about 15%. Add shipping and itís less than 10% off. This is not much incentive because the buyer canít expect any warrantees or support from the manufacturers if there are any problems. From my experience you need to discount the parts about 30% before it gains much attention. Just like buying a car. The minute you take possession it looses 25% value and continues to drop over time even if itís brand new.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM

Plus lots of folks have jumped on the T5 bandwagon.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeFred View Post
Plus lots of folks have jumped on the T5 bandwagon.
True, although I think all of these parts are fine for the T5 too. Perhaps the OP should retire the ad to “everything to swap a manual transmission”

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Yes, for a T5 you just need an adapter plate, crossmember and you can't use the shifter. If you want to come up with some sort of T5 deal we can try to work out a package.

Who honestly buys any of this **** and uses the warranty? It's not an engine or electronics. When I buy used parts I am not thinking, "this shifter boot doesn't come with a warranty." Plus many of us buy parts and don't even put them on the car until the warranty is up. Some people don't even open the box. Summit could be sending bricks to half the guys on this forum and they'd find out in three years.

1965 Mustang
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
Summit could be sending bricks to half the guys on this forum and they'd find out in three years.
That should get the offers rolling in...

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in