Looking for good mechanic for 93 Fox body in Phoenix - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Looking for good mechanic for 93 Fox body in Phoenix

I have a '93 Fox body Mustang that I drove for 13 years (its first 12 years were up on blocks in a little old lady's garage). I had to park it last year in my garage because it does not like the AZ heat (only been here a couple of years). Car ran great up until 102 degrees or hotter; then would randomly not start, meaning sometimes it did and sometimes it didn't. I'd have it towed to my mechanic for the first two summers when it wouldn't start and he could never figure out what the problem was. He even took it home and drove it for a few weeks and said it always started for him....whatever. Anyway, I LOVE this car and miss driving it. I have a Mazda but it feels like a tin can after driving my Mustang for so long. So...I am looking for a good Mustang mechanic who will help me get it up and running again. (It ran great until I forgot to drive it around the block every once and awhile...yes, I am female). This car took me all over the country on trips and even hauled hay in the trunk when I lived on the ranch. Want to fix it up or put a new engine in order to give it to my honey as a gift this Christmas (he loves it even more than me). Any input would be greatly appreciate. Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 07:45 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
I don't see replacing the engine because it doesn't start once in a while. You need to try a different mechanic I guess.
I recall a car one time that would crank fine in the mornings but not in the afternoon. Eventually discovered a loose electrical connection in the steering column. Apparently the slight temperature difference in the hours of the day were enough for it to connect or not. One little wire connection, it took forever to figure out but had nothing to do with the engine or anything else.

I know you said AZ in your post, but if you put your location in your signature everyone will see where you are and might be able to offer tips on a good shop to take it to. See how I did my location?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 08:11 PM

Sounds like something could be heat soaked depending on what the symptoms are. If the mechanic is starting it in his shop or later in the evening it may not be hot enough to soak it. If you can't get it to run past 102* in AZ you're going to miss a good bit of driving a year. If you are starting it in the direct Mojave desert sun during the day could be something is too warm, battery, starter solenoid or like Gypsy said some wiring, relay or connection. If it's turning over getting spark but no fuel it could be some sort of vapor lock or heat issue with the fuel system. Most shops these days (and many techs) have thermal imagers to help diagnose heat related issues. I'm familiar with the off road shops and a good Miata shop down there but not a classic car or even general automotive shop. This issue likely isn't specific to a classic car per se but rather because it's hotter than the face of the sun down there. Just like here. Yelp some reviews for solid general auto shops down there and you should get some good tips.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 08:20 PM

Looking for good mechanic for 93 Fox body in Phoenix

Lookup Levy Racing in Maricopa. Run by Gordon Levy.

He may be able to help or get you pointed in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page