Vintage Mustang Forums banner

If you were going to buy a Fox body...Which year was the best?

59K views 45 replies 32 participants last post by  Grabber70Mach 
#1 ·
I've been thinking of buying a 84 GT like "I had in high school". I guess I'm evolving into the next cycle of the hobbie.
So starting to do my home work on th Fox-bodys and started to wonder which one's were the best for 1.performance...2..Handling...3..looks.
The red GT I had in high school was just passed down to me from my sister.I still had my first car--67 coupe I6,3 speed.So ...next to that, the GT was a rocket...Funny I still remember taking the breather off the 6 cylinder to go faster...I was 16.
I really didn't know the spec's on the Gt.All I remember is that I only lost one race to a 67 chevelle. Oh ya...I traded the GT in on a VW dune buggy ...It looked like the SpeedBuggy cartoon,Red fiberglass, for those who can remeber that one..... WHAT WAS I THINKING Better yet WHAT WAS I SMOKING...

#27 ·
The tilt column and neat ratcheting map light make the '89 model Mustang my favorite. I owned a '93 GT and that column with the airbag really turned me off. The wider fenders of the '93 and the cool interior lamp were nice touches, however.

#30 ·
Wow....another ZOMBIE post arises from the dead. Later model Foxes with the fuel injection were a little stronger runners and sleeker looking but I still have fond memories of my 85, last of the carbed Stangs. Loved the T-tops, guess I got lucky, never had leaks from them. Loved blasting the curves through the Kentucky hills on a cold evening, sun going down, T-tops out, leather jacket and heater on, moan of the 4 barrel as I worked the 5 speed.

Attachments

#31 ·
For style, I prefer the 85-86's. Never liked the aero front end. Not crazy about the fuel injection on my '86 LX coupe, but I like everything else about it. And since it's such a low miles example, I'm going to leave it alone. First year of the big axle, too, I think.

#32 ·
I worked at an auto auction in the 80's so I had the pleasure of driving many Ford vehicles.
The one 80's Mustang that left a big impression on me was a silver and black 84 GT convertible.
With the black top down, silver and flat black paint, and the stainless exhaust pipes peeking out of the back, just really made for a nice looking car.

#42 ·
The 93 Cobra is overpriced for what you get.

there are so many flavors of fox bodies, you have to narrow down what you are looking for.

My personal favorite is a 79 Pace Car followed by the SVO, but if those are nice cars I would hate to modify them.

Next is a 91-93 for the air bags.

The 87+ (Aero) Mustangs will take a larger tire.

For Comfort I prefer a 83-88 5.0 T-bird. The 2.3 is cool, but spendy to make any power.

For a sleeper I prefer the 78-79 Fairmont 2-door sedan or Futura with the 5.0 or better yet, any Fairmont with a 4 speed that a 5.0 swap can be done to.

Fox bodies are a REALLY BIG PITA to change the heater core.

#44 ·
For a sleeper I prefer the 78-79 Fairmont 2-door sedan or Futura with the 5.0 or better yet, any Fairmont with a 4 speed that a 5.0 swap can be done to.
84 Cougar LX
86 Mustang GT convertible
92 Mustang GT Hatchback

In backwards order. 😁

Sleeper...I would say fox LTD station wagon!

#45 ·
Love this post! Those foxbody mustangs are the new "it" ponies. Here are my suggestions:

#1- 93 Cobra. They let the third generation go out with style. You only have three color options, actually, I'll say you only have one... black.

#2- 82 GT t-top. GT came back with a bang. Check out on YouTube the old motortrend review of them.

#3 79 Pacecar. Year 1 of the foxbody, a collector car wrapped in a bit of history, that is still somewhat affordable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.