Good brand for engine stand for a fully loaded 351C? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Good brand for engine stand for a fully loaded 351C?

I'm getting crazy thoughts that I need to pull the engine from my 72 Ranchero and seal it up, as it leaks pretty bad and the car is down anyways needing the front suspension reinstalled(new soft parts) and the floor pans need replaced (waiting for money to buy a mig welder and gas, going to be using 65-70 full length Mustang pans, not a perfect match but they do work). I am also waiting a bit on the heat here to finally go away. I am too old to do this stuff in the summer here unless it is an emergency anymore. I got the front suspension off the car in April I think it was, but the heat got to me by the time I got all the parts here.

I have a hoist already but no stand. If I didn't have the hoist I wouldn't be thinking crazy thoughts like this.

Of course budget is always an issue, and the prices have skyrocketed on this stuff in the 8 or more years since I really bought anything like this new. Not at all opposed to used, but HF seems to be the most popular one for sale there. I can deal with an HF one if it will safely hold the engine.

Thanks,
Russ

RIP Mallory, Abby, and Sadie. And now Casey. :-( We miss you girls.

79 Pinto Hatchback. Fully caged, 8inch 4:10 gears. 351W. Aftermarket Tremec T5 (1352 251), Going to be a fun cruiser.

74 Pinto Wagon.
On maybe permanent hold.

72 Ranchero GT w/351Cleveland & automatic. Although this wasn't supposed to be a project car it seems that it has become one. Stupid rusted out California floor pans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 06:50 AM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
I have one of the Harbor Freight stands and it works for me just fine, 750 lb. capacity, and my engine weighs 498 lbs. (91' 302 roller all dressed up and ready to install).

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 06:54 AM

The AC Delco they sell at Oreilly is pretty good.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 07:53 AM

I have a larin 4 leg 1000lb stand. it's held everything from small blocks to big blocks with no problems

66 mustang coupe, 302 / T5-Z / 3.80 trac-lok

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 09:03 AM

I have the basic 3 leg stand that was given to me as payment for some work I did back in 1987. I think it was originally from HF and has held everything from a 454 long block to a 302 small block. It would be nice to have one with the geared head that makes rotating a snap, but for the money the HF stand is hard to beat.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 09:05 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
I have the larger HF (1000lb) 4 leg stand. It held my fully dressed 351W for months with no problem.

Regards,
Patrick
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 09:44 AM
PetesPonies

Basically, any of the stands will work. If you have a welder, then welding some of the connections will make it bullet proof.
silverblueBP likes this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 09:50 AM

i'd buy a 4 leg regardless of what brand you buy. I personally don't like the 3 leggers, they are easy to tip when you're moving them loaded.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 10:25 AM

If you don't need to flip it over, then you can use some 2x10's and a furniture dolly. It limits access to the bottom part of the motor, but for cheap storage, it's hard to beat.

This is the 302 that will go into my fastback.

Here's one a made for a 354 Hemi for my last project.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 10:52 AM

Garage
I bought a cheap one from summit and added casters. Works great! 4 leg, 1" square tubing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordguy View Post
i'd buy a 4 leg regardless of what brand you buy. I personally don't like the 3 leggers, they are easy to tip when you're moving them loaded.
Yes ! My 289 took a tumble on a 3-leg stand when the front wheel hit an obstruction.

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 01:51 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
I don't worry too much about brand. At the lower price scale I'm pretty sure they all come from China anyway.
This type I refuse to use as I hate when 600 pound engines fall on me.

This is what I use. The narrower legs help you get into the vee of most engne hoists. Somewhat at least. You can still tip one over if you try hard enough. I've seen two go over. One trying to free a seized engine and the other when angle torquing head bolts. I like mine anyway, I'm careful about certain actions with it.

The last is very stable but I find them a bit inconvenient when transferring engine to and from a typical cherry picker engine hoist. If you use a chainfall instead you don't care about that. They to be obnoxiously in the way when you aren't using them. One definitely sucks up more floor space than the other to.

I've no interest in using a 750lb. 1000 is the minimum for me. A 300 six isn't terribly heavy but it is very long. Put one on a 750lb stand and it will bounce like it's on a bungee. Very disconcerting. Since that one I've been rather sensitive to bounce. Also I had an engine (big block? I forget) on a 750lb stand that made the stand sag down to where I couldn't rotate the engine over. You don't have have a 1000 pounder but I for one WILL pay more money for that extra feeling of stability.
I would have no issue buying one from Harbor Freight. Mine came from an auto parts store's promotional sale.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 02:05 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage

"Fully loaded" 351W. Out of the 15 or so years I've had this stand I bet there was only about two weeks total where there was no engine on it.
Many 1990's larger FWD GM's had Monte Carlo type bars which apparently the junkyards remove when they pull the engines. I collected about six of those for ten bucks or so, bought some casters, and welded up a little roll around stand for another engine. THis was when you them available everywhere for Chevys for like $35 but none for Fords. Never took a picture but I patterned it after the commercial ones.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
The last is very stable but I find them a bit inconvenient when transferring engine to and from a typical cherry picker engine hoist. If you use a chainfall instead you don't care about that. They to be obnoxiously in the way when you aren't using them. One definitely sucks up more floor space than the other to.

I agree 100%. I have three stands, two of the four leggers and one of these wide four leggers. it's disassembled and tucked away under my bench. like you said, it's a pain in the arse trying to use a hoist with it.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 05:35 PM
PetesPonies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
This type I refuse to use as I hate when 600 pound engines fall on me.
It's called "natural selection"

If you get a good deal, makes no difference what you buy. They all work and can be modified easily if you wish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page