Today's word is INCOMPETENT. - Page 48 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 586Likes

post #706 of 861 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 02:27 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
No website or FB account is a big GIANT plus in my book. Company is so busy doing what they do best that they have no time for such silly crap nor the need for the additional advertising. Not only do I know of such companies that have a similar minimal to nonexistent online presence I am happily working for one now.
rpm likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #707 of 861 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 03:40 PM

It would make me worry too that you aren't picking the new contractor. Means they worked out some type of deal with the new guy...maybe the crew the new guy uses will be supplied by the original contractor (so the costs are kept low). I'd want to look into that more. Get it in writing that none of the work will be done by or sub-contracted to anyone who has or still works for the old company.

Any way for you to get a list of permits the new contractor pulled recently in your area to see that they are actively building and not some fly-by-nighter who does projects off the books? Get the code enforcement people to look up any possible violations found on their recent projects?

References would be nice too...but let's face, no business is going to give you the names of people that aren't happy with them.
rpm likes this.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***
post #708 of 861 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 03:51 PM
Supporting Member

Glad to hear there might be some movement on this. Being at a stand still has to be frustrating.

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

post #709 of 861 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

I made it clear to my lawyer I had reservations about this new company.
I called them 2 times today, to try and set up a meeting. Both times my calls went to voice mail.

My lawyer thinks. Who gives a F who builds it, as long as it gets built and built correctly.

I am more apprehensive about this.

One thing is certain. Time moves forward. We meet with the judge on March 1st.
post #710 of 861 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 04:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
No website or FB account is a big GIANT plus in my book. Company is so busy doing what they do best that they have no time for such silly crap nor the need for the additional advertising. Not only do I know of such companies that have a similar minimal to nonexistent online presence I am happily working for one now.
The last company I worked for (20 years) also needed no advertising. Word of mouth in the construction world kept us more than busy.

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

post #711 of 861 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 04:41 PM

Garage
I had a concrete driveway installed.

Word of mouth referral. The concrete guy told me not to refer anyone he had more business than he could handle.

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1968 Mustang California Special
post #712 of 861 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

GypsyR. Please continue to bless me with positive thoughts, the universe is listening.

I just got off the phone with the NEW contractor.
It seems The New contractor has NO knowledge of the last contractor. He has done work for their lawyer though. He was referred by their lawyer. He has been in business for himself since 2004. He has been doing foundation work since 1993. He is doing over 20 foundations right now. He has offered references, and to show me his current job sites. He does not need or wish to have an online presence because he doesn't need to. He has tons of work.
He is going to adjust his quote a little because he was given the wrong info.
We talked about the problems of the site. We talked about the wreckage left by the last people. He wants to do the job. We will meet Monday morning with the building inspector.

I feel a little better about this now.

One step at a time.
malarson, GypsyR, gwstang and 5 others like this.
post #713 of 861 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 10:33 AM

Slow but good progress. Go visit the new contractors work sites. You can tell real quick if he knows what he is doing. Sounds good so far. Hope spring comes early so u can pour your fondation.
post #714 of 861 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 10:37 AM

When you pour the slab, have narrow expansion joints / saw cuts done so you can roll a jack over it. I didn't had to fill in the wide. Expansion joints. Pita!
post #715 of 861 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 12:08 PM

Garage
Good progress, good to hear.
post #716 of 861 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 10:49 PM

Location: I bounce between The Texas Hill Country & far North Idaho
I would not settle unless I was "allowed" to write the specs and choose the new contractor.
post #717 of 861 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 10:34 AM

This has been going on for 2.5 years. At this point, if I could get my garage built as a "wash", I'd take the deal. The "specs" are that it has to meet all city codes and he's scoping out the new contractor, If the new guy proves legit and I get all my legal fees paid... it would be time to move on

Hopefully you'll be using your new garage by the end of the summer

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1968 Pontiac Firebird 400
post #718 of 861 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 11:48 AM

have them build the slab to spec, that is whats fair and legit and move on. 2 plus years trying to get compensated for this and that and you are right back at square one, getting a foundation poured.

i said early on in this topic that trying to get a garage built and compensated for your misery etc was a joke and wouldn't happen. i doubt the judge will award money for your attorney, very doubtful, attorneys want to drag it out, if you can get a foundation poured proerply do so and build your garage

theres no guarantee the longer it drags out

2015 Audi RS7 (black metallic)
2015 Porsche 991 Turbo S (agate grey)
2000 MV Agusta F4 750S
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo (guards red)
1970 Challenger (B5 blue)
1968 Porsche 911 (in shop, deciding color)
1967 Vette Stingray (elkhart blue)
1966 GTO (light blue)
1966 Fastback (gloss black)
post #719 of 861 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 10:50 PM

Location: I bounce between The Texas Hill Country & far North Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Pony View Post
This has been going on for 2.5 years. At this point, if I could get my garage built as a "wash", I'd take the deal. The "specs" are that it has to meet all city codes and he's scoping out the new contractor, If the new guy proves legit and I get all my legal fees paid... it would be time to move on

Hopefully you'll be using your new garage by the end of the summer
"City codes" are quite minimal. I require more than minimal unless I plan on moving.
post #720 of 861 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche1 View Post
have them build the slab to spec, that is whats fair and legit and move on. 2 plus years trying to get compensated for this and that and you are right back at square one, getting a foundation poured.

i said early on in this topic that trying to get a garage built and compensated for your misery etc was a joke and wouldn't happen. i doubt the judge will award money for your attorney, very doubtful, attorneys want to drag it out, if you can get a foundation poured proerply do so and build your garage

theres no guarantee the longer it drags out
I think this is the best answer to your long standing problem. I'm reminded of the old saw: Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Hope it gets done soon and your project can continue and you get your LONG awaited garage! Mel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page