Today's word is INCOMPETENT. - Page 51 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 547Likes

post #751 of 831 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Sag's had more than his share of real world negativity dumped on him already so I try only to add positive input here.
Well, to that I can agree. I am simply trying to add that he need not expect much to happen on Friday. I think we can agree that Friday is not when the garage will be built. Just trying to put it in perspective...maybe finished on a Friday, just not this Friday...

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 831 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:26 AM

Just wanted to say that I'm sorry for everything you've had to go through to get where you are, 1969sag!

It all seems so ridiculous. If they'd done anything they promised, or followed through with what they should have done, or even stopped and said "Wait, okay, we're doing this wrong. Let's stop here and think about what this guy is telling us" at any point... but no. They shot themselves in the foot and just kept reaching for a bigger gun to do it again.

I'm a tech. I work on computers. I am very careful not to make mistakes, as it would usually mean the loss of irreplaceable information, sometimes even worth millions of dollars. If I don't know what I'm doing, I don't just start taking things apart and hope for the best! I don't even bill the customer unless I have *successfully* fixed their problem.

Whatever happened to personal accountability? I just don't get this at all.

Hope it all turns out great for you, despite all the fuss and delays!

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln
post #753 of 831 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
MANY a time I have "started" a job on a Friday. Starting might involve putting up a job/permit board. Marking a bunch of stuff. Getting some equipment on site. Basically doing everything you can to have the site ready for when the lower paid labor piles in on Monday. The idea being to get the whole place to where the only thing lacking is warm bodies. Thus giving the foreman/supervisor/crew leader a head start on the nullifying at least most of the excuses for why the warm bodies couldn't start actually doing something productive. Those of you who have run a crew of people doing about anything are probably saying "Oh yeah!" while those who have not might not get this.
Though I'm no longer in construction I still do this to some extent in the shop at work. On Fridays and every day.
This is exactly how any good GC, crew leader or shop foreman should be working. As the manager of the machine shop at my old place of employ, I did this every day for fifteen years. Scheduling, organizing work, expediting etc. At the end of every day I would do the receiving on all the work orders, then create the task list for the following work day. The operators came in before me, so when they arrived they knew exactly what jobs needed to be done for that day, in what order without question. If assembly and welding had all the parts they needed for the day, then I was doing my job correctly.

Nothing worthwhile is ever quick, cheap or easy, those that can't do, complain

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)

post #754 of 831 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again for the support everyone.

On Friday, and Saturday.
I believe the plan is to dig the trench's. He will be going as deep as necessary to hit undisturbed ground. We will know when it is deep enough when he hits the hard, dense, blue clay of south east Michigan. He will also be digging out an area near the new foundation to tie into the existing sewer line.
Then he can put in the forms, and rebar for the footer. To re-cap. The footer will be 2 feet wide and 1 foot thick with rebar. Then first thing on Monday, he will bring out the soil bearing capacity testing people. They will do their job, and give a report. Once that report is approved by the city building inspector, he can then pour cement for the footer.
Once the footer cures for 2 days. Then the block walls will be started.
After the walls are in, then sewer, water, electrical, cable, and gas lines will be installed. Then the 6" wire mesh inner slab will be poured. Followed by a 20' X 25' area in front of the garage will be poured 6" thick with wire mesh.
Then final inspection by the city.
Once this is done. Then I can start building the rest of the garage.

After all this time, and fight the end of this chapter seems to be getting near.

Joe in Detroit
1969 Mustang Sports Roof (SAG = Sports Appearance Group) 1 of only 5,729
1966 Ranchero Custom 1 of only 11,000 made. (For Sale)
2014 Mustang V6 premium pony package
1969 Mustang Grande (sold)

Personal Quote from 5-1-15. ''DRIVE IT LIKE YOU HAVE TO POOP!"

"It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down
I had the radio on, I was drivin'
Trees flew by, me and Del were singin' little Runaway
I was flyin'"
Tom Petty, Runnin Down A Dream.
post #755 of 831 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969sag View Post
Thanks again for the support everyone.

On Friday, and Saturday.
I believe the plan is to dig the trench's. He will be going as deep as necessary to hit undisturbed ground. We will know when it is deep enough when he hits the hard, dense, blue clay of south east Michigan. He will also be digging out an area near the new foundation to tie into the existing sewer line.
Then he can put in the forms, and rebar for the footer. To re-cap. The footer will be 2 feet wide and 1 foot thick with rebar. Then first thing on Monday, he will bring out the soil bearing capacity testing people. They will do their job, and give a report. Once that report is approved by the city building inspector, he can then pour cement for the footer.
Once the footer cures for 2 days. Then the block walls will be started.
After the walls are in, then sewer, water, electrical, cable, and gas lines will be installed. Then the 6" wire mesh inner slab will be poured. Followed by a 20' X 25' area in front of the garage will be poured 6" thick with wire mesh.
Then final inspection by the city.
Once this is done. Then I can start building the rest of the garage.

After all this time, and fight the end of this chapter seems to be getting near.

Awesome to hear there is progress coming....
My wife asked what I'm reading about as I skimmed back through the thread...her response when I told her was: " that garage build is like herpes" just keeps coming back with more trouble...lol!

post #756 of 831 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Update.
I was a little wrong on the time frame.
I just got some new good news.
There is supposed to be no dang rain tomorrow. It has rained something like 65 days out of the last 90 around here.
So Tomorrow.
The trenches will be dug out down to undisturbed soil. The soil test people will be out to do the tests. The depth of the trenches will most likely be over 60 inches deep to hit undisturbed soil. This is good because it exceeds building code, and will be deeper than the 42 inch frost line depth. It will not be necessary to form the footer sides with wood forms. Due to the depth, undisturbed ground will be more than sufficient for the 2' by 1' footer. The horizontal rebar will be installed. Then the concrete will be poured tomorrow. Then inspected.
All of this has been discussed and approved by the city building inspector.
It will then cure. It will most likely rain on Saturday, and Sunday. This will not damage or hurt the footer. The new contractor does not wait to pour cement. He will only dig, and pour the same day.
Then on Monday. Any water will be pumped out. The vertical rebar will be drilled and epoxied into the footer. Then the cement block walls will start to be built. Monday, and Tuesday look like no rain days.
I am hooking up my cameras now.
I may have new pic's soon.
Wish me luck.
Stuff is happening fast. Finally.

Joe in Detroit

I was flyin'"
post #757 of 831 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 06:22 PM

Awesome

Mine is set to start 2nd week of July. I have to have my powerline relocated (in middle of proposed garage foundation) and I'm having a hell of a time getting an electrician out to help fill out the forms for the power company. Fun....

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1967 Firebird 400
post #758 of 831 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:00 PM

Interesting that they drill and epoxy the rebar. Looking forward to the progress!!

Allen

post #759 of 831 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:18 PM

It's going to be a bloody muddy mess given our current weather but awesome if they can get started though. We'll all have to come over for a beer when it's finished!
geicoman58 and Turnall like this.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, HiPo Manifolds, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #760 of 831 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnall View Post
Interesting that they drill and epoxy the rebar. Looking forward to the progress!!

Allen
I was thinking the same thing and wondering why it wasn't tied in with the horizontal rebar. that's how it woulda been done when I was doing that stuff back in the day. I'm sure there's a logical reason, and I'm definitely no expert with concrete.
post #761 of 831 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:40 AM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
The epoxy business caught my eye too. But I expect it's something like slab joints. Used to be they would leave slight gaps between slabs for expansion/contraction. These days it seems they don't do that anymore. They just pour what they want and after it's cured somebody comes back with a concrete saw and cuts slots in it. I can't say I get that either but that's what they all do.
post #762 of 831 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

To clarify.
When you are building a retaining wall with a footer. It absolutely needs to have the horizontal rebar installed.

Because this footer is so deep, and has no side load. You can lay out your first course of block. Then come back and drill holes and epoxy in the vertical rebar for the block. It is easier and more accurate to place the rod this way. I have also been told it is more stable for this type of footer.

The building inspector was on sight this morning inspecting everything. The soil bearing test has been done, and we are good to go. Cement and rebar will be started around 2pm.
The building inspector will return today to inspect the footer again.
Right now about 65% of the trench has been excavated. They had to go a little over 5ft deep to get to virgin ground.
No way in hell frost will ever hurt this building.
Amazingly, there is not much water, just a little they will get out. There is some very dense blue clay soil in this area, it is pretty water proof.
The old contractor is going to have to buy a whole lot of block. LOL.
Caper50 and Grimbrand like this.

Joe in Detroit

I was flyin'"
post #763 of 831 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 02:05 PM

Wow...how much of that 5ft deep is because the original contractor screwed up?

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***
post #764 of 831 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 02:34 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
So they DID start work on a Friday? A man of his word you are dealing with now.

(as an aside: early applications are now being accepted for the fall semester of the GypsyR school of positive thinking.)
Hemikiller, rpm, Caper50 and 5 others like this.
post #765 of 831 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnall View Post
Well, to that I can agree. I am simply trying to add that he need not expect much to happen on Friday.

Allen
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969sag View Post
The building inspector was on sight this morning inspecting everything. The soil bearing test has been done, and we are good to go. Cement and rebar will be started around 2pm.
The building inspector will return today to inspect the footer again.
Right now about 65% of the trench has been excavated. They had to go a little over 5ft deep to get to virgin ground.
Quote:
So they DID start work on a Friday? A man of his word you are dealing with now.
And I stand corrected!! I agree, sounds like this contractor is indeed a man of his word.

Glad to see it!

Allen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page