ANy NASCAR Fans? Carl Edwards... - Vintage Mustang Forums
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By Wayne67vert
  • 2 Post By Nailbender
  • 2 Post By 69StangRestomod
  • 2 Post By 69StangRestomod

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy ANy NASCAR Fans? Carl Edwards...

Been a fan since I saw him win in person in '05 at Texas...Can't believe my main driver is calling it quits at such a high point....

eventually a 1969 Mustang Fastback--been in hibernation since 2011 due to school...
Now the time has come to resurrect her once and for all!
Currently on a body cart with a finished undercarriage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:35 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69StangRestomod View Post
Been a fan since I saw him win in person in '05 at Texas...Can't believe my main driver is calling it quits at such a high point....
Not a Carl Fan per se...but IMHO he's being smart.

He's got nothing left to prove...yeah I know he hasn't won it all etc.. but he's had a great career, without too much physical trauma and he realized the risks just weren't worth the rewards anymore.

The cars are so fast now, it's really really difficult to protect the drivers. Add in the more recent revelations that concussions have everlasting effects (can you say Dale Jr.) it just makes sense to me.

He strikes me as a really good guy who wants to make sure he's there for his family and all the other interests in his life.

BTW...I was a Jeff Gordon fan...and I felt the same way as you are when he retired, I hardly ever watch Cup racing anymore.

Shaummy
66 convertible 289 C Code Sauterne Gold with Black power top.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:07 PM

NASCAR died with rules and boring cars a long time ago. Haven't watched a snooze race in YEARS.

But there's more to the story. It'll be interesting to see the details.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:26 PM

Location: Midway, IN born & raised - Columbus, OH for the job
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsroof69 View Post
NASCAR died with rules and boring cars a long time ago. Haven't watched a snooze race in YEARS.

NASCAR died for me when Bill France rejected the Cammer as "European exotica."
...which was when I was (-16)

80 Muscort- "Wifebeater" (sorry if it offends. I didn't name it)
06 V6 Premium - "Hidalgo" (R.I.P. )
67 C-code Fastback - "Tombstone"

My Mustangs don't get chick names. They get horse names.
When Hugh Hefner dies, will anyone actually believe the ubiquitous eulogy statement: "Well, at least he's in a better place"

Tombstone's Grille Ornament
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:40 PM

Garage
I'm betting he is concerned about concussions. His wife is a Dr. that works with neurological rehabilitation. She may be the reason behind his retirement.
joespony67 likes this.

Wayne

1967 C code convertible

When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:36 PM

Stopped following NASCAR closely when they left and forgot their roots and all the manufacture cars become the same. Long gone are the days when a manufacture won on Sunday and sold on Monday. The car (Thunderbirds of the 80's & 90's for me) which you saw on the track looked and were shaped like the cars you could buy on the lot. While Carl was not part of the 80's/90's group, he came in at the end of that generation in the early 2000's and is one of the few of that generation that is or now was left. Hate to see him go. When Jr retires, my interest will wane to the Daytona 500 and the Southern 500 in Darlington. Peace Out! #6 #7 underbird! #9 #28 #88
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:34 PM

He's a very charismatic guy. I'm sure he will make a very comfortable living in the broadcast booth, as president, or whatever. Good for him!
Rorin67 and Fly2xs like this.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
He's a very charismatic guy. I'm sure he will make a very comfortable living in the broadcast booth, as president, or whatever. Good for him!
Carl 2020

Make America Backflip Again
Fly2xs and Nailbender like this.

eventually a 1969 Mustang Fastback--been in hibernation since 2011 due to school...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:24 AM

Had no idea he was retiring. He won the Bush championship in 2007 and came close to winning the cup a couple of times (Finished 2nd). In 2011 He tied Stewart, but Stewart had more wins, so he won. THAT had to burn just a bit...

Heck, I'd retire too, he's worth $46 million.

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1968 Pontiac Firebird 400
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaummy66 View Post
Not a Carl Fan per se...but IMHO he's being smart.

He's got nothing left to prove...yeah I know he hasn't won it all etc.. but he's had a great career, without too much physical trauma and he realized the risks just weren't worth the rewards anymore.

The cars are so fast now, it's really really difficult to protect the drivers. Add in the more recent revelations that concussions have everlasting effects (can you say Dale Jr.) it just makes sense to me.

He strikes me as a really good guy who wants to make sure he's there for his family and all the other interests in his life.

BTW...I was a Jeff Gordon fan...and I felt the same way as you are when he retired, I hardly ever watch Cup racing anymore.

I agree...it is s mart move. You got your net worth in the 8 figure range, might as well have time to enjoy it with your family. Just seems like he was really hitting his stride at JGR. I had high hopes for 2017...oh well, I do like Truex and Chase, but I was only really a fan of Carl's. I do love the sport for the sport, so I'll probably stick with it...just feels like the pizzaz is gone now

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Pony View Post
Had no idea he was retiring. He won the Bush championship in 2007 and came close to winning the cup a couple of times (Finished 2nd). In 2011 He tied Stewart, but Stewart had more wins, so he won. THAT had to burn just a bit...

Heck, I'd retire too, he's worth $46 million.
noone had any idea until Tuesday....even then, it was "sources confirmed"...his press conference was Wednesday.

I got to meet him at the spring race in Texas, real amiable with the fans, even right after the race.

If you think 2011 hurt, you should look up what happened this year O.O

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69StangRestomod View Post
noone had any idea until Tuesday....even then, it was "sources confirmed"...his press conference was Wednesday.

I got to meet him at the spring race in Texas, real amiable with the fans, even right after the race.

If you think 2011 hurt, you should look up what happened this year O.O
I haven't really followed since 12/13, so I don't know what happened... wiki says he wrecked with 10 laps to go at Homestead, was he leading?

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1968 Pontiac Firebird 400
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsroof69 View Post

I agree.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Pony View Post
I haven't really followed since 12/13, so I don't know what happened... wiki says he wrecked with 10 laps to go at Homestead, was he leading?
He was the car the beat of the championship 4. Joey had a fast short run car, but Carl had the car of the day. led most of the laps. Yellow flag made a 10 to go restart and Joey dove low, Carl blocked, got punted and ended up in the wall. It was just hard racing, noone's fault really.
Rorin67 and 65 Pony like this.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 07:11 PM
LSG

Tongue Nascar

69, I didn't realize NASCAR was still going. I thought they fizzled out after introducing the 'car of tomorrow' which had all the cars the same. I quit warching in the mid 70s after reading the rules and seeing the blatant ani-Ford bias. LSG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page