Shower Plumbing help? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 6Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Shower Plumbing help?

Are the new shower manifolds (where the hot/cold water is mixed and turn handles to get it out) some kind of low flow stuff? I replaced the old manifold when I put in a new tub, the new "Caulk-less snap together type unit". The flow is just ridiculously slower than before. Of course the spousal unit complains that she can barely get the shampoo out of her hair. Red heads get really ill about such things....well most things anyway...lol I've gotten weary with her whining on this. How do I rectify this situation and get more water flow?
Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 02:33 AM

Good luck in this age of reduce reuse recycle,low flow/water saving plumbing is the standard ,fire hose pressure/volume plumbing is out of vogue.

6r07a143871 --owned since 10/83
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 02:33 AM

Garage
If it is restricted, there is probably a removable restriction piece.

'67 coupe, 390, 4spd.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 06:44 AM

Garage
Did you replace the shower head? If so,the restriction is most likely there. All new ones come with restrictors installed to save water. This is usually easy to remove. Just unscrew the shower head & look in the end where the threads are. There is a small rubber piece ( washer type) in there. I use a long drywall screw to remove it. This is your water restrictor & if removed will make your shower feel like normal once again.
gwstang likes this.

1968 GT VERT ROYAL MAROON J CODE
OWNED FOR 45 years
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 08:03 AM

Garage
My shower valve had a plastic ring on it so it could only turn so far. Once I took the handle off and started poking around it was pretty obvious that's what was causing the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if yours has something similar keeping you from turning the handle all the way to 'full'.

They really should mention this sort of thing on the box or that little rice paper thin multilingual instruction insert so you know how to fix it before you get it installed, but maybe that's just me.
gwstang likes this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 09:32 AM

Believe it or not I know of a guy who uses a garden hose hanging over a tree limb as a shower. I bet that's fun in the winter!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 09:46 AM

When i had my inground pool i would get a five gallon bucket of water from the pool and set it in the sun to warm up and take a pool water shower after a hard days work by using the five gallons to lather up and pour the rest over my head and then jump in the pool without taking all my sweat and dirt in the pool, hardly ever had to put water in the pool as in florida in the summer we get an afternnon shower. A great way to get refreshed for free! Wes
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I'll take a look inside the shower head (hand held water pik new unit).
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 08:58 PM

What brand of control is it? They are all low flow now, but some have adjustment built into them that will let you "turn it to 11" a little. The cheaper ones tend not to have any adjustment, but are generally easier to modify. Let me know what brand it is and I've got a buddy (a real plumber) that I can ask. Then there's the shower head itself. It sounds like you're on that already though.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maladezo View Post
If it is restricted, there is probably a removable restriction piece.
The newer units are on to that, drill bit is required on the better units these days. The internet is your friend.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, HiPo Manifolds, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 09:13 PM

Location: Formerly Sioux Falls, South Dakota - Now Silverhill, Alabama USA
You need to hook up with this guy and get the Commando 450

John

John Goettsch

My First Mustang

Transformed 2017: (Thanks 22GT)
66 FB C Code Upgraded to HiPo+
Autolite 4100 1.12 - 4-Speed Toploader
3.55 True-Trac - Koni Adjustables
Z-Member - Arvinode Exhaust

66 FB C Code C4
Code U Tahoe Turquoise Metallic
White/Aqua Pony Interior
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 09:30 PM

What brand of control is it? They are all low flow now, but some have adjustment built into them that will let you "turn it to 11" a little. The cheaper ones tend not to have any adjustment, but are generally easier to modify. Let me know what brand it is and I've got a buddy (a real plumber) that I can ask. Then there's the shower head itself. It sounds like you're on that already though.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Ahh Sooo! There was a little blue disc when I unscrewed the shower head. Like it was said, a screw in it and snatched it right out. It will knock her down now...maybe she will get off my arse now....or maybe not....lol Thanks everyone.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 10:42 PM

The thing is, now that you've fixed this, she'll find something else for you to fix!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 09:07 AM

Living here in California, low flow is mandatory. I'm sure a person would get jail time for messing with the shower head. A few years ago the bride and I took a cross country car trip. The hotel where we stayed in Memphis had a shower that would peel skin. One of the highlights of the trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page