F-250 - Gas or Diesel - Vintage Mustang Forums
 6Likes

post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

F-250 - Gas or Diesel

I'm thinking of trading my Expedition this summer for an F-250. Possibly an F-350, but probably an F-250. Question: do I get the gas engine or the diesel? Problem: this will also be my daily driver. Though I like the towing power of the diesel, I will only be towing my Mustang 4 to 5 or maybe 6 times a year. Though they don't list the fuel mileage of these vehicles, would I be better off with the gas in the long run since I won't be towing that often? Or is there much of a difference in no-load mileage?

Advise is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayce View Post
I'm thinking of trading my Expedition this summer for an F-250. Possibly an F-350, but probably an F-250. Question: do I get the gas engine or the diesel? Problem: this will also be my daily driver. Though I like the towing power of the diesel, I will only be towing my Mustang 4 to 5 or maybe 6 times a year. Though they don't list the fuel mileage of these vehicles, would I be better off with the gas in the long run since I won't be towing that often? Or is there much of a difference in no-load mileage?
Funny I have been looking at the F-250 Diesel. My brother-in-law bought an F-250 Gas. The gas runs real nice and the loads he carries and pulls he hasn't had any issues. The biggest difference he said was the diesel he had (traded in) going up hills never revved. The gas does rev higher. The gas mileage he got with the diesel was about 8 to 10 miles per gallon. The gas he said is the same, just cheaper over the long run and the price tag is cheaper for the truck.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 09:26 PM

90% of the 3/4 & 1 ton trucks around here are diesel- Ford, Dodge and Chevy. Most of the negatives of diesel engines no longer exist- noise and smoke.
8-10 mpg for a diesel sounds pretty low. I think they are closer to 20 mpg now. And it seems as though everybody says they get the same mileage- empty or towing a 10,000 lb trailer.
I've walked through the new truck lots at several Ford dealerships and the majority of them have sticker prices in the $60-$70K range. The guys and gals around here seem to love their F250 King Ranch Platinum Edition with all of the bells and whistles. A fully loaded F350 Dually King Ranch Platinum will give you enough change back from a $100,000 bill to eat at a nice steakhouse.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 11:09 PM

Iíve owned both. My 2003 F250 v10 was a great truck but I could never get better than 10 mpg. I now have a 2001 F250 with a 7.3 diesel. I love the power of the diesel. I havenít checked the mileage but itís supposed to get about 17-19 mpg. Itís definately noisier. Theyíll both tow just fine. Youíll pay a few thousand more for the diesel. The resale on the diesel is definately better. If you daily drive it I think youíll regret getting a gas because of the poor fuel mileage. At 10 mpg for the gas, less for city driving assuming you have a 25 gallon tank you will be filling up every 240-250 miles. Thatís about $65 a fill up at todayís prices in NC. I thought I wanted the gas because it was cheaper but the poor fuel economy ate at me every time during my frequent fuel fill ups.

67 Shelby Clone
410 stroker, RHS heads, FPA headers, Lentech full manual AOD
Global West upper / lower control arms, rear leafs and del-a-lum bushings
Street or Track strut rods, Viking coilovers
Wilwood front disc brakes
-----------------------------------------------------
2008 Shelby Convertible 625 HP
VMP SC 2.5 pulley and tune. Steeda cold air intake
True Forged Sleeper 20x11 and 20x10 wheels
MGW shifter, Tokico D spec shocks and struts
MTF 1 piece headliner, 2008 Shelby seats

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 11:11 PM

Gotta figure the cost of oil changes and other maintenance is higher for the diesel as well. If you do youíre own maintenance then itís not so bad.

67 Shelby Clone

post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

I couldnít imagine that for a DD.
JD08 likes this.

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thatís a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 09:37 AM

I agree with Israel. Neither would be a good daily. Buy the one you like and then pick up a beater.
Israel likes this.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel View Post
I couldnít imagine that for a DD.
Me neither, unless its a newer one and my only vehicle. I had a 2005 F150 gas quad cab that I bought new and it was so quiet and smooth, very comfortable to travel in. It got about 18 mpg on the highway. I could have daily driven it. If you are talking comfort and room, a newer truck would be fine. If you are concerned about cost to own and drive then this would probably not not be a prudent choice. With 4 cars, insurance, taxes, maintenance and all of them use either premium or diesel, financially I would come out ahead if I was down to only one vehicle even if it got 10 mpg.

67 Shelby Clone

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 09:43 AM

Duplicate post

67 Shelby Clone

Last edited by mikec35; 04-14-2018 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Deleted
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 10:16 AM

Key questions: how many miles will you drive it annually ? Will you be towing on many steep grades ?

Mikes V10 example is a worst-case, they are known gas hogs. My 2000 7.4 K2500 does fine as a daily, but I don't drive in the city, or have cramped parking lots to deal with. I get 12.5 MPG combined, 13 Hwy, 10 towing. As mentioned, it handles grades fine, but you will be going slower than a diesel (I don't keep the pedal matted on a hill). The new gassers will get a few MPG more. The problem with the mileage argument, the $5,000+ premium for a diesel pays for lots of gas ! The payback is after 100,000 Miles or more. Yes, the engine will "last forever", but the rest of the truck falls apart at the same rate. diesel engine maintenance is a bit more expensive.

If the price isn't a deal breaker, test drive both and see how you feel ?

Edit: Don't know about newer trucks, but the 24 Gallon tank on my short bed does suck. Towing, you're looking for gas every 200 Miles !

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip

Last edited by stephen_wilson; 04-14-2018 at 10:20 AM.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 10:49 AM

The extra initial cost of a diesel purchase vs. the extra fuel expense for gas was a tough one for me. It's a classic pay me now, pay me later scenario. I tow infrequently but still wanted the available tow capacity of a F250. The argument of the diesel outlasting the rest of the vehicle in my opinion is not as big a deal if you purchase a Southern vehicle where you don't have to worry about rust. My 2003 gas V10 came from Pennsylvania, once it started to rust I got rid of it. My 2001 7.3 diesel came from SC, no rust at all. I can tell you I feel like I have a much more durable truck now that I have a diesel.

67 Shelby Clone

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 10:49 AM

Don't the diesels require some type of fluid for emissions control? I see this stuff for sale in Sams club and someone told me it is required for new diesel trucks.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 10:54 AM

Garage
Just my thoughts and experiences.

My recently acquired 2004 V10 Excursion gets 17 on the highway, and currently 8 in town. I have not towed with it yet but according to the guys on Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums I should get about 8mpg towing. I have the 3.73 gears and it is said I should be good with a trailer up to about 8K lbs. Above that and you need steeper gears, 4.33 or higher depending on load and tire size. Engine maintenance is super simple, just like our cars. This thing is built on a F250 frame so it does drive like a truck and yes, it is large. Its got a 40gal tank so can go a ways on the expressway when not towing. Gas is cheaper and there are more gas pumps at the stations. Guys on the Truck forums say that this V10 will rev higher to get the job done, and that is nothing to worry about.

Diesel is a good option when you need more power, torque, or just like diesel. They do get better gas mileage, but the diesel is currently more expensive. As mentioned, there is more maintenance required and that as well is more expensive.

I know how to work on my V10, but do not know much about Diesels. Guess that would change if I owned one. There are two diesel's on my street, and I know every time they start up, drive away, and return. My V10 is quieter than my Mustang.

I'm not much for the newer V6 Eco Boost in towing heavy loads (over 8k). I think they do better in town and do a good job towing lighter loads. My brother has a F150 V6 Eco he purchased new in 2011, but still states it has about the same power as the 4.8l he previously had. Gas mileage is slightly better though when not towing.

David
VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 11:44 AM

F-250 - Gas or Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
Don't the diesels require some type of fluid for emissions control? I see this stuff for sale in Sams club and someone told me it is required for new diesel trucks.

diesel exhaust fluid. It's a urea-based solution the exhaust passes through to clean it out. Semi tractors use it but I'm not see if diesel pickup trucks do.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

67 coupe with 5.0 and C4 (Viper GTS Blue, paint code PBE, since everybody asks)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ drag pack
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 12:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to c6fastback
Yes , regular diesel trucks also use DEF . Diesel exhaust fluid .

68 302-4V w/1.84",1.54" ported , Comp XE268H , 2200 rpm Hughes converter, 3.25 9" w/10x2.5" shoes , MSD box/distrib , RPM intake , 670 Holley , cross flow aluminum radiator , Granada discs......

Michael S.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page