6Likes
  • 1 Post By russosborne
  • 2 Post By russosborne
  • 1 Post By slim
  • 1 Post By gt350sr
  • 1 Post By russosborne

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

I got another project car.

Now, I did NOT need another project. Really did not need in fact. Don't have the room if nothing else. Really don't have the money for more than one.

But I came across this on Craigslist and foolishly decided to talk to the seller. He is in Tucson, and I am in the Phoenix area with no way to get the car here, so I thought I was safe.

But no, he is willing to deliver it for a small price. And this car punched a number of things on the "I always want to do this with a car" list. And I could afford it, even with the delivery, thanks to finally getting the hiring bonus for my current job. Cost me $700 total. Some may think I got taken. I think that sometimes. But main issue is getting physically able to do this. Health hasn't been great the last few years. But I see a car and forget about that until after I get it.

I should have spent the money on my 72 Ranchero. Now I need to just cover this new one with a tarp until I get the Ranchero back on the road. Like that is really going to happen.

OH, what is it?

1979 Pinto. Glass hatch. Fully caged. Setup for a 2.3L rear sump pan(modified crossmember) with T5 from a fox Mustang. Seller had a turbo in it before he parked it 20 years ago. He had the cage installed and then life got in the way I guess. Recently inherited his brother's Mustang II and decided it was finally time to let this one go.

I have a 89 Mustang with a plain 2.3 and A4ld that will be the new powertrain, for now. Eventually need to get a T5. I like shifting gears. Car has an 8inch Pinto/Mustang rear with 4.10 gears. Seller's parents are the original owners, he was given the car at about 17 years old.

Not my first Pinto. Drove one for about 2 years in Ohio before making it a project car. Currently have a 74 wagon in the back yard that at this rate will never see the road again as it keeps getting pushed back on the to-do list.

Oh, the pictures are at the seller's place. I wish I had that cover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 79 Pinto Smaller 1.jpg (98.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 79 Pinto Smaller 2.jpg (92.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 79 Pinto Smaller 3.jpg (91.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 79 Pinto Smaller 4.jpg (75.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 79 Pinto Smaller 5.jpg (87.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 79 Pinto Smaller 6.jpg (93.1 KB, 49 views)
Huntingky likes this.

RIP Mallory, Abby, and Sadie. And now Casey. :-( We miss you girls.

79 Pinto Hatchback. Fully caged, 8inch 4:10 gears. 351C from my soon to be scrapped Ranchero. Aftermarket Tremec T5 (1352 251), Going to be a fun cruiser.

74 Pinto Wagon.
On maybe permanent hold. Or it may become a Pinchero. We'll see after the 79 is done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

didn't want to make the first post too long.

Couple of other things.

No, the cage is not certified. Not an issue, I am not racing this. Just always wanted a full caged street car. I'm not a welder, although I need to at least learn enough to do the floor pans in the Ranchero. But welding a cage likely will be beyond my skills, so finding a car with it done is great.

Missing the windshield. That may be a pain, but will worry about it later. I am on a Pinto site, so I have connections for parts.

Got about 8 storage bins of the parts he took off the car. Overall got pretty much everything but the engine/trans, seats, carpet, radiator support, and inner fenders. Probably won't be using most anyway. I do need to figure out how to piece the stock dash around the cage. Only doing it since the vin is part of it. Otherwise I would just use a racing dash.

I would like to put a V8 in, in fact a 351C. Just not sure at this point. Goal for now is to get the car running and on the road as inexpensively as I can. I have a good paying job, but not THAT good. And I really do need to get the Ranchero going first. But I also need to strip the 89 Mustang and get rid of the shell before I get in more trouble with the zoning people. The 89 has EFI, which should be a good thing. With the 4.10 rear gears, even a blah 2.3L should be fun. At least stoplight to stoplight.

Got most of the extra stuff in a storage place already. Still a little bit in the interior. Front bumper, dash. First goal is to sand off the surface rust and paint the front frame/cage. Then the interior. Thinking of using the VHT chassis epoxy. I used some on the front suspension parts of the Ranchero, and really like it. Not the cheapest paint, but seems to cover well and should last. I'm not really set up to spray, so spray cans are good for me. Brush on wouldn't be bad, but I don't want to see brush marks. POR15 would be a possibility, but I don't think it is needed here.

Can't decide on the front sheet metal. I really like the small bumper Pintos, and I have the sheet metal from my 74 wagon, but I would need to get a small bumper and front valence for it as it came with the big bumper/no valence. I do have the entire front end for this, and I don't have to make a decision anytime soon. So something to think about.

Thanks,

Russ
Israel and Huntingky like this.

79 Pinto Hatchback. Fully caged, 8inch 4:10 gears. 351C from my soon to be scrapped Ranchero. Aftermarket Tremec T5 (1352 251), Going to be a fun cruiser.

74 Pinto Wagon.
On maybe permanent hold. Or it may become a Pinchero. We'll see after the 79 is done.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 07:39 AM

This photo says everything!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dyno Don Pinto.jpg (94.6 KB, 49 views)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 08:24 AM

Be careful about picking up extra projects. Next thing you know, you will be picking them up like strays like I do. Then you signature at bottom of page goes on forever. Most of these cars have a story about being too cheap to pass though I did get 6 in a package deal my brother gave me because I wanted his triple black GTO project. My bother is a bad influence. Look Below lmao. Enjoy your projects!

Current piles of rust 1965: New yorker***1968: GTO convert, Lemans convert Porche 911***1969: MustangGT convert, Mach1 S code Mach1, Mach1 CobraJet R code GTO convert, Firbird Convert 1970 Boss 302***1972: Charger***1999:f250 CNG truck***2011:nissan Altima ---> I need to get rid of some of this junk lol
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 09:14 AM
(actually Slim Jr now)

Thumbup

We had a 76 2.3 hatchback then 78 V6 hatchback. These were neat little cars. Nice handling,first American cars with rack and pinion steering. Surprisingly roomy, nice riding and great hauler. Really good in snow for a RWD.

You will probably be flamed for even going near a Pinto. Many flamers may have never tried sitting in much less drove one.
Huntingky likes this.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Anything tubbed and caged is cool!

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thatís a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 09:24 AM

Garage
This way will save you a bunch of money on your missing parts!!
Huntingky likes this.

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys.

Not tubbed, but caged. At least for now. That is one thing that this doesn't have that I have wanted. Maybe someday.

I drove my old 79 Pinto in Ohio for 2 winters. It was funny, I would be driving past big cars stuck in the snow. That little thing really did well. Even hit a deer and it kept on going with just minor damage Until I decided to make it a project. sigh.

I can't do any more projects. It's a good thing hiring bonuses don't come around that often. If I ever win the lottery I am doomed.

Russ

74 Pinto Wagon.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

Just a minor update.

I am taking the week of May 7-11 off from work (3 weeks vacation time the first year at this job, not bad) and the plan is to strip the 89 Mustang of what I need. Will only be around 100 degrees during the day. I always have such great timing.
And then maybe try to part out the remains, or just call a place I found that will tow away junk cars even if stripped. I've taken a hard look at the body, and pretty much every panel has dings/dents. Fixable, yes. Rusted, not here in Phoenix. :-). But I'm not sure if anyone would want them anyway. Been repainted. Got a bunch of stuff I had bought for it that I can sell. V8 sway bars, better headlight/taillight lenses, interior quarter panels, rear hatch. Other than the taillight lenses all that never got installed so it will be easy to CL it cheap. Have to wait and see I guess. I don't want to pull stuff off the car and possibly have it not sell. I've got enough crap parts here as it is.

Trying to get my health back a bit so I can do more. Right now just thinking gets me tired. I figure with 9 days off including two weekends I should be able to get it stripped and still have a couple of days or more to recover. Hoping that the engine hoist I bought used 3 years ago actually works. Worst case I buy a replacement hyd. jack for it at HF.

I have gotten the Pinto interior cleaned out/in storage except for the dash and a couple of little things. I need to go out and really check it out. Just given my luck with cars lately I am a little scared to see what I missed when I bought it.

Trying to decide if I want to put a non safety fuel cell in that i have laying around or keep the stock tank. The cell is actually larger, it's 15 gallons. Would definitely go with the look of the car for sure. But being a hatch it would have to go fully under the floor. I'll just have to play around with it and see how far it would stick down. I've seen some good installs on Pintos on the Pinto forum I am on.
Another option would be to use the Mustang tank since it is set up for EFI anyway. I'd have to move the filler on the car to the passenger side, but then I could use the fuel door from the Mustang as well. I just don't know right now.

I'm already planning on having to have a swing out bar for the cage on both sides. I MIGHT be able to crawl over it the way it is, but there is no way my wife could. I might be too old/fat/stiff for a car like this, but I am going to give it my best shot.

Thanks,
Russ
Huntingky likes this.

74 Pinto Wagon.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 01:59 PM

Garage
There was a green pinto that used to race at my local track where I ran. He had a 460 in it. On the front fenders was the posterior end of what appeared to be a very nice looking girl bending over as if she was looking into the engine bay. His car was named Rump Shaker, LOL.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page