Ford to quit selling cars except for Mustang & Focus Active - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 28Likes

post #16 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadude View Post
I was impressed with Ford years ago when they declined the governments bailouts. I wish I would have bought a bunch of stock when it got down to $2 a share.
I guess this means the Mustang will be the car that replaces the Fusion in all the Nascar classes.
I bought at $1.26 & sold at $8.44 one year later. Ford has been a stock that's been hit hard with shorts & puts 36,000,000 to 540,000,000 daily volume of shares for the last 10 years.

Be interesting to see what happens in the next couple weeks.

Bob

69 Coupe 351W C4 Holley Street Avenger Comp Cams Roller Noisy Gear Drive
Cad ATS V
Some previous cars: 68 Shelby GT500 428 Auto, 40 Chev Coupe 283, 47 Fiat Topolino B/A Chev 288 Hilborn, 64 Plymouth 426 Hemi SS/BA, 70 & 71 Cuda & Challenger 426 Hemi SS/AA, 55 Chev 327, 55 Chev Nomad 283, 57 Chev Nomad 327,
57 Pontiac Safari 389, 63 Corvette 327, 68 Cougar XR7 302, 68 Camaro RS/SS 327
69 Camaro Z28 396, 73 Olds Cutlass Supreme 455 4 sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 11:25 AM
(actually Slim Jr now)

IMO it's a supply demand thing. Most buyers want trucks and or SUV. Why should they be sold cheap?

The truck platform SUV can tow a big boat or car hauling trailer and/or carry more people
with more room than the old luxury sedans.

What beats me is how all these people afford these new trucks and big SUVs that sell in the luxury class. Cost of healthcare sky high, company pension low or non existent even social security will soon be gone.

It's not just Ford. GM and Mopar have cut way back on car models offered.

Looking like they made a good decision keeping the Mustang. Great combo, Mustang and a truck or SUV. We have vintage Mustang, Escape SUV and old Towne and Country we use as hauler.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #18 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJH View Post
I think Ford is making a mistake. Does Ford really think that people will continue to pay
$ 50k + for trucks and SUV's indefinitely? Interest rates are moving up, the price of oil is moving up, the economy is changing. I understand what they are doing and why but I think they are being short sighted. Only time will tell - we will see in the next 5 - 10 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziurtoys View Post
Bingo!
You can rest assured that Ford did not make this decision on a whim. They have undoubtedly spent million$ on market research into the attitude of the American Consumer and have reached the conclusion that the USA is now an SUV and Pickup society. I'm sure the research included a study of how high the price of gas would have to go before people resorted back to a small car. With the US now producing more oil than the Arabs Ford feels that the price of gas will remain "affordable" for the foreseeable future. They are willing to cede the unprofitable Econobox market to Honda, Toyota, Kia, etc.
A couple of years ago I posted a thread here lamenting the fact that Ford no longer makes a 2 door economy car and I don't drive 4 door cars. My question was what will I replace my 2 door Focus with when the time comes? Ford has since answered that question with the Ecoboost Mustang.
And as others have stated, Ford of Europe will still build small Ecoboxes so if necessary Ford can simply retool factories here to build them if the bottom falls out of the SUV market.

post #19 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 12:02 PM

Garage
A business has to sell what they make. If cars aren't selling, and SUVs/Crossovers are selling well, that just makes common business sense to get rid of the cars. For whatever reason, people bought more import cars than they bought from Ford, so Ford is adapting.
post #20 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadude View Post
I was impressed with Ford years ago when they declined the governments bailouts. I wish I would have bought a bunch of stock when it got down to $2 a share.
I guess this means the Mustang will be the car that replaces the Fusion in all the Nascar classes.
It was in the MSN news last week that YES the Mustang will be next years's NASCAR ride. Done deal

If you borrow a tool more than twice, you need to own it You get what you pay for!
George email: <[email protected]>
post #21 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHawkeye View Post
A business has to sell what they make. If cars aren't selling, and SUVs/Crossovers are selling well, that just makes common business sense to get rid of the cars. For whatever reason, people bought more import cars than they bought from Ford, so Ford is adapting.

Yes, except when they stopped selling Ranger pick ups here.
Now going full circle..

If you borrow a tool more than twice, you need to own it You get what you pay for!
George email: <[email protected]>
post #22 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 12:40 PM

post #23 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 12:53 PM

Car companies are not in business to make cars, SUVs or trucks. They are in business to make money. When they can't make money making vehicles, they'll make something else or they'll go out of business.
post #24 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtysevenGTconv View Post
It was in the MSN news last week that YES the Mustang will be next years's NASCAR ride. Done deal
This is a big crock of Barbra Streisand!
NASCAR dictates the "universal" body shape that all cars must comply with whether they are "branded" Ford, Chevy, Dodge or Toyota. So this universal body will be painted to vaguely resemble a Mustang rather than a Fusion. There will be absolutely nothing on the car related to a real Mustang.
Feethurt likes this.
post #25 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 01:01 PM

I predict that Ford will produce a slimmed down lighter weight verson of the F150. A 2wd 4-door with a suspension that rides a bit lower, has ~4ft bed, and a shorter low-profile roof line. With a 2.0 Ecoboost under the hood. (or a 5.0 for those that gotta have the V8)
And they'd call it the...

... RANCHERO!

1970 Mustang coupe
post #26 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 01:16 PM

Garage
Maybe they need to build a mustang lite or even a 4 door(I know, heresy) mustang to take up whatever market place the Fusion was trying to target and a 4 wheel or all wheel drive mustang for people that need that sort of thing in some parts of the country. I think it would be a lot easier on the tooling and panel stamping to do something like this rather than run all these different lines.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation
post #27 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 01:27 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
They're pretty loose with their definition of "car" these days. Take an AWD Contour/Mystique (yes, they had those), jack it a little and slap a station wagon body on it. Bingo, an "SUV" Escape. Same thing with a Taurus for the new Explorers. Crossovers my butt, they're ALL just station wagons. Have the Subaru people finally broken down and finally started calling their wagons SUV's too? Just vaguely curious.
post #28 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJH View Post
I think Ford is making a mistake. Does Ford really think that people will continue to pay
$ 50k + for trucks and SUV's indefinitely? Interest rates are moving up, the price of oil is moving up, the economy is changing. I understand what they are doing and why but I think they are being short sighted. Only time will tell - we will see in the next 5 - 10 years.
I had a long post in my head this morning, but no time to put it up.

Ford had this exact idea around 2006/2007, I remember similar articles about ford dumping their car line entirely for trucks/SUVs. What happened? About a year later the economy crashed, vehicle sales tank, gas soared, and what did people buy? Prius's and small cars. Truck and SUV sales completely tanked. Our "world economy" is so fragile a $1.00/gal fuel price increase or a 1-2% interest cost increase could, once again, bring the house of cards down.

Its asinine to think that American's are only buying trucks and SUV's, they're not. They're buying a lot of them right now but as history shows, that can't be expected to last. What cars are Americans buying? Toyota and Honda. Why? Because they don't suck. They hold their value. They last 2-300K miles. We have two focuses at my office that were bought brand new in 2011 and 2012. BOTH have had the transmissions replaced before 100K and various other issues.

Basically, this "decision" by Ford is telling me that they've come to the conclusion that they can't produce a competitive family sedan and are just going to leave the Market. GM and Ford did the same when they realized they just couldn't produce a quality mini-van.

Ford can't just "pull product" from their global market. It was announced the global Ranger was coming to the US, 3 years later it's finally happened. It takes a lot of time to pass all of the US standards, certifications, and get production going for a US based vehicle.

I think it's a mistake. They're losing money on their cars because they aren't building one that people want. I'd start there... build a car that doesn't suck.

Some of you are going to HATE to hear this... but if this is true, AND the ONLY CARS are the Focus AND Mustang... get ready for the four door Mustang. It will no longer be an April fool's picture prank. The Mustang is profitable because they keep the price high and platform sharing, with no other cars but the much smaller focus they're going to have to kick Mustang sales to a much higher lever than 70-80K/year to keep it profitable too.

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1968 Pontiac Firebird 400
post #29 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macstang View Post
Maybe they need to build a mustang lite or even a 4 door(I know, heresy) mustang to take up whatever market place the Fusion was trying to target and a 4 wheel or all wheel drive mustang for people that need that sort of thing in some parts of the country. I think it would be a lot easier on the tooling and panel stamping to do something like this rather than run all these different lines.
I'm with you on this one...I don't think it would take too much to stretch the middle of the mustang a bit and give a 4 door option to people. Everything on the front & back of the car could be easily adapted to a larger cab.

Even if it weren't a big roomy back seat, maybe there would be a market for Mustang 4 door Sedan. If I had younger kids I had to cart around, I'd rather drive a 4dr mustang than a mini-van.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***
post #30 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macstang View Post
Ugh, I missed "page 2" again, you beat me to the 4 door Mustang.

I like it, go old school. Stretch the top on the 4 door into a wagon while you're at it. I'd probably buy one... seriously...

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1968 Pontiac Firebird 400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page