Is this just a California thing? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 25Likes

post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Is this just a California thing?

You pull up to a red light and stop, there are a half dozen or so cars in front of you. As you sit there, the cars in front that were stopped now start creeping forward and by the time they are done, you could fit a Greyhound bus between you and the car in front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 09:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadude View Post
You pull up to a red light and stop, there are a half dozen or so cars in front of you. As you sit there, the cars in front that were stopped now start creeping forward and by the time they are done, you could fit a Greyhound bus between you and the car in front.

Happens everywhere I go. That and those that leave a car length between them and the stop line. Just two of MANY stupid things done by untrained sheep.

Mark
1966 Mustang 2+2
Sparky66 likes this.

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 10:04 AM

A california thing is:
Everyone stops at a red light
there's a bmw/benz on a right turn only lane
light goes green
bmw/benz makes a quick dash to left just to cut everyone off
sycostang67 and DrHawkeye like this.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romayo View Post
A california thing is:
light goes green
That's a BMW thing...don't you know they get special treatment and can do what ever they please.
Mustmatt and alex1965 like this.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:11 AM

I think its more of an America thing. Nobody cares about how their actions impact others. Of course, people who stop traffic to let somebody out are no better. I only let people out if I already have to stop. Otherwise you are just impeding the traffic flow of many to benefit one.

Sent from my SM-T715Y using Tapatalk
bacchus203, rpm and DrHawkeye like this.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
These are CA appropriate...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BMW Owner A-hole.jpg (15.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg BMW Owner A-hole -2.jpg (64.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: png left-Lane.png (147.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Left-Lane-Priuses-courtesy.jpg (40.8 KB, 14 views)
rpm, Sparky66 and Bill Fraley like this.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by romayo View Post
A california thing is:
light goes green
In NorCal the BMW drivers you refer to are switching to Audis in large numbers.

True story: Not too long ago a woman in a Q7 Audi was aiming her car down my street (narrow street residential neighborhood) when for some unexplained reason she flipped the car over on its side in the middle of the street after side swiping a car parked at the curb. While she may have been attempting a noble gesture of nominating herself for a Darwin Award, she failed at that as well.
DrHawkeye and Bill Fraley like this.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadude View Post
I see this all the time, it's an everywhere thing. It's inconsiderate asses on their phones, not talking, but looking at them reading social media or watching a video. I see people coming up fast to stopped traffic at a light, hitting the brakes short of the car in front of them, and then grabbing the phone and going at it. After they are done reading or typing what they couldn't wait to do, they creep up as they realize they stopped short.

Seriously, watch for this and you will see it at nearly every light you stop at.
GypsyR, dobrostang and Bill Fraley like this.

1967 Sports Sprint 289 Coupe
2007 GT/CS
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyFive-O View Post
I see this all the time, it's an everywhere thing. It's inconsiderate asses on their phones, not talking, but looking at them reading social media or watching a video. I see people coming up fast to stopped traffic at a light, hitting the brakes short of the car in front of them, and then grabbing the phone and going at it. After they are done reading or typing what they couldn't wait to do, they creep up as they realize they stopped short.

Seriously, watch for this and you will see it at nearly every light you stop at.
GA just passed a new distracted driver law where you cannot even touch a smartphone while the car is in drive. It doesn't matter if you are moving or stopped. You can be ticketed for just touching it.

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fraley View Post
I think its more of an America thing. Nobody cares about how their actions impact others. Of course, people who stop traffic to let somebody out are no better. I only let people out if I already have to stop. Otherwise you are just impeding the traffic flow of many to benefit one.

"Otherwise you are just impeding the traffic flow of many to benefit one"

In case anyone hadn't noticed, our society in general is now at this point in many ways.

But not wanting to get political, here is but one common daily manifestation.....
Around here the traffic lights will stop 25 cars traveling 45 mph for one car that
just got to the opposing intersection 1 second ago. (This in a city with flashing
yellow arrows and the ability of personnel in emergency vehicles to over-ride
traffic signals)
Absolutely asinine traffic management, which definitely has an effect on drivers.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:49 AM

I think it's just a side effect of everyone having autos now a days. Stop and leave a little room. Then slowly creep up to take up the remaining space. My wife didn't notice it happening until she started driving old Jeeps I used to have (all manuals). I drove a manual as a daily from the time I got my license and it always drove me nuts. Autos creep forward very easy. Then it makes the guy in the manual look like a goon for not taking up the couple of car lengths that suddenly appeared.

Happening to me again now as my F150 has auto stop-start. I like it, but it has to fire the engine back up to creep forward ... and now the phenomenon is almost as annoying as it was with the manuals.

I sincerely believe that everyone should have to drive a manual as a first car. That and everyone should own a motorcycle at some point. Just the sheer level of thinking and observing you have to do with both of those will make you a better driver in your commuter!

1966 C-Code Convertible in Candy Apple Red
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaBeave View Post
I think it's just a side effect of everyone having autos now a days. Stop and leave a little room. Then slowly creep up to take up the remaining space. My wife didn't notice it happening until she started driving old Jeeps I used to have (all manuals). I drove a manual as a daily from the time I got my license and it always drove me nuts. Autos creep forward very easy. Then it makes the guy in the manual look like a goon for not taking up the couple of car lengths that suddenly appeared.

Happening to me again now as my F150 has auto stop-start. I like it, but it has to fire the engine back up to creep forward ... and now the phenomenon is almost as annoying as it was with the manuals.

I sincerely believe that everyone should have to drive a manual as a first car. That and everyone should own a motorcycle at some point. Just the sheer level of thinking and observing you have to do with both of those will make you a better driver in your commuter!
You can engage the start before completely releasing the brake. You just have to almost release the brake just before you start going again. It takes a little practice. I had that feature on my 2015 F150 but my 2017 F150 is a 5.0 and doesn't have it. I eventually just started hitting the auto start/stop button to disable it every time I drove. You can also mod the switch to always disable with a jumper wire. I am not sure if they have found a way to disable in Forscan yet.

Sorry for going off topic

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 01:19 PM

Pfffft. I wish that happened here. People tailgate so bad here there probably isn't a half of a car length space left by the time you get back to the 12th car.

Sometimes I can't even see the car behind me over my tailgate.

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1968 Pontiac Firebird 400
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 01:52 PM

Gosh, never seen that around here.

No BMW's, no cars. We're all trucks. My neighbors are Amish.

Here's a Picture of the "intersection" where I live.

I buy all my vintage gas there too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EgyptExp.jpg (119.6 KB, 15 views)
Bill Fraley likes this.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megansmustang View Post
Gosh, never seen that around here.

No BMW's, no cars. We're all trucks. My neighbors are Amish.

Here's a Picture of the "intersection" where I live.

I buy all my vintage gas there too.
You couldn't find a picture without a Chevy in it?

bacchus203, DrHawkeye and New2me like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page