Which air compressor - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 12Likes

post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Has anyone had experience dealing with JB Tools? It looks like I can get the exact same compressor I referenced earlier at a discount and no sales tax

https://www.jbtoolsales.com/ingersol...ir-compressor/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knapper View Post
Has anyone had experience dealing with JB Tools? It looks like I can get the exact same compressor I referenced earlier at a discount and no sales tax

https://www.jbtoolsales.com/ingersol...ir-compressor/
I don't see a CFM rating for that particular compressor.

When I went to buy a compressor, I did online research until my eyes were bleeding. I came to the conclusion most specifications are irrelevant. What matters is that the compressor is a two-stage, as you have indicated, and the CFM. Horsepower? Amps? Forget about it. Manufacturers can torture those numbers any way they like. It's all hype. What matters is CFM, CFM, CFM.

I went with the biggest compressor sold at Harbor Freight. It's not the Harbor Freight brand. It's a US General. The pump was made in Italy. The Motor was made in Mexico. It was assembled in North Carolina. The last time I was at a Harbor Freight, the biggest compressor had the Harbor Freight logo on it, but it appeared to be the same compressor I bought. Likely, it's the same compressor with a different badge. Anyway, to get a better compressor, I would have had to spend TWICE as much. It's not the biggest, most badass compressor, but I'm very happy with it. It was $1,000 out the door, but that was several years ago.

Lots of guys like to say, "Quincy or nothing". I think this is because that brand is so common in commercial/industrial applications. Yep, if you go to a body shop, the compressor is often a Quincy. Sounds good, but in my research I learned there is a BIG difference between the commercial Quincy compressors and their "consumer" Quincy compressors. One of the reasons guys tout Quincy is because of the outstanding warranty. Guess what, that warranty does NOT apply to the Quincy consumer compressors. The consumer compressor warranty is no better than any other consumer brand. Now, a Quincy consumer compressor is still a good compressor. I'm just not convinced the brand name justifies the extra cost for a home shop.

As mentioned, how you set up the air lines also has a big affect on performance. Here again, I researched into eye-bleeding status. I ended up installing copper lines. When someone suggested copper, I assumed that would be way too expensive. However, when I compared copper to the cost and hassle of getting black iron pipe threaded, the copper was pretty attractive. I looked at the dedicated air line kits sold online. At first, they seemed like a good deal. Investigating further revealed nobody sold those pieces and parts near me. I would have to order any additional components piece by piece. The individual components are very expensive and it's likely I'd end up ordering the wrong components or realizing I still didn't have everything I needed which would mean yet another order. (I explained this my brother. He ignored my advice and ordered one of those kits. I helped him to install it while I was visiting last Christmas. Guess what? He needed a lot more pieces. Nobody in his town sells them. He had to order them. They were very expensive. He ordered the wrong components. And he still needs more components. A year later, he still doesn't have working air lines in his shop.)

I've never seen anyone install a refrigerated dryer in a home air system. I haven't had any moisture problems, but Colorado Springs is very dry. The refrigerated dryer can't hurt, but I couldn't say if it would be worth the investment.

I would also suggest looking locally for a compressor. Ordering a big tool online can be a major pain. If you're retired and can wait at home all day for the truck to arrive, that helps. Also, if there's any problem, like damage or if they deliver the wrong tool, returns are a major hassle. I've ordered large woodworking tools online and it worked out fine, so just something to consider.

Have fun!
vegasloki likes this.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html

Last edited by Klutch; 12-08-2018 at 11:03 AM.
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 11:23 AM

I like black iron pipe for compressor lines, but a major issue now is finding US made black iron pipe and fittings. Most all now come from China, and about 20% of the fittings are worthless because the threaded ends are crap. I have pipe dies to correct the pipe but not taps in the required size.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver

post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 12:33 PM

I agree that the motor ratings are pretty useless, but you can look at the Amp draw. You can Google the an Amp draw/HP chart that should give a much better indication of the actual motor power.

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 03:08 PM

Don't want to hijack this thread, but wanted to add to it instead of starting a new one.

Like the OP i'm looking for a new compressor as well. I'm working with a lower budget, and am wondering if something like this would work well, as opposed to a smaller 110V unit? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-60-G...sor/1000542193

From what I can find, the pump and motor are CH.

My other options, as far as budget for a 60gal are the Husky or maybe Dewalt, which look identical to each other.

Opinions?

Frank
66 Coupe
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 03:41 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
In specs it beats my very similar Ingersoll that I gave a few hundred more for. I'd trade it right now for that one just to get the two-stage and 25 more PSI. Seriously. The Ingersoll's been good to me but the lower 150 psi has always been an issue.
I'd spend a bit more and get the extended warranty and run with it. Price/performance for the home shop that's the best deal I believe I've seen.
FRC928 likes this.
post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRC928 View Post
Don't want to hijack this thread, but wanted to add to it instead of starting a new one.

Like the OP i'm looking for a new compressor as well. I'm working with a lower budget, and am wondering if something like this would work well, as opposed to a smaller 110V unit? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-60-G...sor/1000542193

My other options, as far as budget for a 60gal are the Husky or maybe Dewalt, which look identical to each other.

Opinions?
Jump on it. That's cheaper than what I paid for my 60 gal CH over 20 years ago!
FRC928 likes this.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRC928 View Post

EDIT: Didn't read the listing closely, that's not the one I have. It's a good deal, I'd go for it.

That's the same one I bought about 10 years ago at Lowes that was badged CH. (counting sale price, gift cards we had, etc I was out of pocket a couple hundred...)

It's a nice machine though a bit too small for me a good part of the time. Until I started media blasting and air sanding a lot it was great. It's still good, plenty for a normal home shop guy but if you need moderate cfm for extended periods may want to buck up to a two stage 5 hp.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com

Last edited by vegasloki; 12-18-2018 at 06:44 PM.
post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Ok the one I was hoping to get wonít work at 208v single phase, which is all I can get at the shop space. Does anyone have experience with Chicago Pneumatic? Possibly looking at this...

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...or/p11411.html
post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 09:59 AM

This is the compressor I purchased several years ago. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...r?cm_vc=-10005
It's been good for me so far, does labor when I'm blasting, got to let it cool down a bit sometimes, and have popped the reset once or twice from overworking it. Got it on sale back then for around 900 I believe, had to open an account with them, it worked out good, was zero percent for 12 months.
post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 10:45 AM

For that much money I'd be looking at this one...https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...ssor/p706.html

I'm old school I like the cast iron pump.
post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper50 View Post
For that much money I'd be looking at this one...https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...ssor/p706.html

I'm old school I like the cast iron pump.
Thatís the one I wanted...requires 230v...I only have 208v.
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 01:17 PM

My apologies, I missed the 208V requirement. That site also sells Eagle compressors. Eagle website states all 60 to 125 gallon compressors are built in Mississippi.

7.5 HP Eagle Compressor
post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knapper View Post
Thatís the one I wanted...requires 230v...I only have 208v.
Those ratings are nominal based on NEMA standards so they can get the unit UL or CSA listed. It should run but the trade off will be in current consumption (meaning more heat) and less startup torque. Is your system a nominal 208 volt system or are you metering at 208 volts? If you are metering around 208 volts under load you are likely within the specs of the motor.

Here's a bit about motor voltage requirements.
240 vs. 208 volts - Do Motors Care? - Brithinee Electric

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
I see that Chicago is owned by Atlas Copco, the same company that owns Quincy. I would think thatís a good thing.

I do need a motor thatís rated for 208.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page