4Likes
  • 1 Post By bmcgc
  • 1 Post By sportsroof69
  • 1 Post By BigKoppa
  • 1 Post By Greg'66 5.0

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Thoughts on a 1999 cobra

I typically like the first generation cars but
I have an opportunity to buy a 1999 Mustang Cobra SVT with 50K original miles. Iíve only seen pictures but have been told itís in great shape and babied by its original owner. Seems like a fun car with 320HP and IRS. What are thought about the 99. How collectible might this car be in the future? Whatís a reasonable price range for this car?

1965 Mustang Fastback A Code
1965 Mustang Fastback R Code Tribute
1968 Mustang Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 02:58 PM
Supporting Vendor

The '99 Cobras have a couple things that "overshadow" them, first being the immense popularity (and high values) of the "Terminator" 2003-2004 Cobras, and second being the huge snafu when they were released.

The snafu involved several minor things, that added up to them not making the advertised 320HP. All 1999 Cobras were fixed/updated under warranty, so Ford made good on the issues, but it was such a big deal that people still remember the bad press.

All-in-all, I think it actually makes these cars an excellent opportunity to bargain-buy a really nice collectible and limited production Mustang.

In the future, I would not expect them to go on some sort of exponential value rise. But I do believe they will always hold their value. Which means, if you take care of it, and maintain it properly, it's almost "free fun", because you'll always be able to sell it for close to what you've got in it.

I have no idea what current market is... Just go to Autotrader.com, do a nationwide search for 1999 Cobras for sale, and you'll be able to form a good picture. Also check out auction results by registering on Mecum.com
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 03:08 PM

Garage
I'm not sure about the '99 Cobras, but the '03-'04 Mach 1's are rising in value right now. I would expect the same for the Cobra. I picked up an '03 Mach 1 3 yrs ago as a project (needed body/interior work). Shortly after that my son found one near his college, 75k mile original owner, super clean. I bought that one and sold the other. I could easily get double what I paid right now, I did buy it pretty cheap though. I keep an eye on prices, they are on the way up!

69 Mach 1, 351W, T5, owned for 32 years, 03 Mach 1 Azure Blue, 65 fastback, 289, C4 (son's), 67 fastback, 289, C4 (wife's)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 03:11 PM

In nice condition they are somewhat collectible and according to all I have heard and read, the fun factor is through the roof.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 03:11 PM

Garage
If you could buy it for around $8K, it'd be a decent deal. Anything under that, and you'd be doing very well. This is of course based solely on your description and not seeing it in person...

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:43 PM

I think its got too many miles already to be $30K "collector" status but as said, if you can buy it right and take care of it you should get many thousands of free miles. Maybe a bit more than inflation. I wouldn't just because I don't think they are big and tall driver friendly.

Engine matters, i don't remember if it has the Lincoln like DOHC 4 valve? Research those to predict future reliability.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:53 AM

Garage
One of the club members bought one a few years ago at a show, and about 3 months later sold it at another show. And he wasn't advertising it for sale at the show. He buys and sells all the time so it wasn't anything about the car, a guy made him an offer and he took it. I think it was in the 7-8 thousand range.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:43 PM

IMO the Mach 1 or Bullitt are more desirable and better buys than the Cobra.

The 320hp was great in its day but a Taurus or Impala easily equals or tops that now. Im pretty sure my wifes stock ecoboost can spank a stock Cobra.

I recently traded my 97 Cobra for my 67 coupe. The Cobra just didnt do it for me.
69bosssvt likes this.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 06:15 PM

Who knows? But I’m old enough to remember when cars like B2’s, B9’s Daytona’s and a few others you got pennies on the dollar.

My cousin was the original owner of a 63 425 hp 409 Impala that got squat for it 2 years later

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

Last edited by Huskinhano; 01-14-2019 at 06:17 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
IMO the Mach 1 or Bullitt are more desirable and better buys than the Cobra.

The 320hp was great in its day but a Taurus or Impala easily equals or tops that now. Im pretty sure my wifes stock ecoboost can spank a stock Cobra.

I recently traded my 97 Cobra for my 67 coupe. The Cobra just didnt do it for me.
Those 4 valve motors actually run pretty good.
Huntingky likes this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

The car appears to be in very good shape. It's garage kept and looks almost brand new. I was surprised that it didn't have any road rash and looks equally good underneath and in the engine compartment. The interior was a little dirty from sitting but in great shape. It even has the original tires on it (I obviously would not drive it with them on it). The doors, trunk and hood are all tight and open and close nicely. It I had the guess the amount of miles on it based on appearance, it would have guess mid 20's at the most.

It's interesting. My long term goals is to have a mustang from each generation.

1965 Mustang Fastback A Code
1965 Mustang Fastback R Code Tribute
1968 Mustang Convertible
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
Who knows? But Iím old enough to remember when cars like B2ís, B9ís Daytonaís and a few others you got pennies on the dollar.

My cousin was the original owner of a 63 425 hp 409 Impala that got squat for it 2 years later
I think the best thing about the 409 was the song.
Huntingky likes this.

1966 Sprint 200
Mostly stock

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKoppa View Post
I think the best thing about the 409 was the song.
They had their faults but were cool looking motors. The Chevy dealer I worked at in the late 70ís one of the mechanics had a 58 Chevy panel truck with a 70ís paint job. He had a 425, 409 with a 4 speed and side exhausts. Oh those were the days, lol.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:41 PM

My daily driver is a '99 Cobra. I bought it used in 2001 and paid $22,000 for it at that time. I have thoroughly enjoyed driving the car and have had very little trouble with it. I have around 120K miles on it now. The only lingering problem I have with it is the ABS does not work (nor the Traction Control System) since there is something wrong with the system. I am just too cheap to pay a dealer to read the codes for me. It is either a bad sensor or a bad ABS module. Just hope you never need the rear ABS sensors - the only place you'll find replacements is at a salvage yard. The ABS sensors are unique to the IRS. Ford no longer makes them and there are no aftermarket options. The Cobra ABS module is also a little harder to find a replacement for since it is a Cobra-specific part.

In the 100,000 or so miles that I have owned it, the only mechanical problems I have had are one bad front wheel bearing and one alternator (factory one made it 18 years). They are unit bearings and take about 10-15 minutes to replace. For wear and tear parts, I recently replaced all of the IRS cradle bushings, differential mount bushings, and the cross-axis bushings for the IRS. I also replaced the clutch about a year ago. Still using the original starter & water pump. The 4.6 DOHC is a pretty reliable engine. The A/C blows ice cold and I have added maybe 1-2 ounces of refrigerant to it in the 17 years that I have owned it. I installed a cat back exhaust about 6 months ago since the stock system finally rotted out after 19 years.

Other things I know or have heard:

The T45 transmission is not the best, but it works. I have not had any trouble with mine. It got stuck in reverse once, but I was able to free it after playing around with it for about 5 minutes. I think there is a TSB that talks about it.

With stock bushings, the IRS is prone to wheel hop on hard accelearation. If you are too careless, the repeated shock loads can snap the half shafts. I don't beat my car, so I don't have to worry about this. For guys that race them, they either dump the IRS for a solid axle or replace the stock bushings with Delrin bushings and upgrade to '03-'04 half shafts (stronger to go along with the supercharged engine).

I don't have other real complaints. I'm sure it will be more collectible than the GT, but I doubt it will be a highly sought after model. The '03-'04 stole the spotlight with the supercharged engine.
Huntingky likes this.

'66 Emberglo Coupe
Modifications:
5.0 EFI conversion
TwEECer EFI tuning
T56 6-speed
Rod & Custom Motorsports IFS
TCP subframe connectors
Vintage Air Heat & AC

'99 Black Cobra - Daily driver

Last edited by Greg'66 5.0; 01-24-2019 at 08:44 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 10:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg'66 5.0 View Post
The only lingering problem I have with it is the ABS does not work (nor the Traction Control System) since there is something wrong with the system. I am just too cheap to pay a dealer to read the codes for me. It is either a bad sensor or a bad ABS module. Just hope you never need the rear ABS sensors - the only place you'll find replacements is at a salvage yard. The ABS sensors are unique to the IRS. Ford no longer makes them and there are no aftermarket options. The Cobra ABS module is also a little harder to find a replacement for since it is a Cobra-specific part.
I used a salvage 2004 Mach 1 to supply the drivetrain for a Factory Five Cobra replica. The all aluminum 4.6L DOHC was a hoot in that car. The Coyote steals the show and the 4.6Ls are just about forgotten. I was having an issue with the ABS fault lamp function and obtained a schematic of the connector. From the schematic I built a simply test fixture so that I could verify the functionality of a replacement ABS module. If interested, PM me with a email address and I can sent you the PDF file for the connector. When there is a failure in the ABS power on self test, the ABS fault light is said to enter a diagnostic mode that can be used to isolate the failure without a special OBDII reader. A simple OBDII reader does not work, but I understand the expensive ones from Snap On and other "professional" grade tool suppliers should work. I later found my issue in the car was I expected the ABS fault lamp output was a switched GND output, not a switched 12V type. I rewired the dash LED and found the ABS unit in the car passed the self-test just like the backup unit on the bench.

If the ABS module is the same for your 99 Mustang Cobra as was used in the 2004 Mach 1, I have the ABS module and test circuit.

Note that Rock Auto has ABS wheel speed sensors available. I looked closer, no rear sensors for SVT Cobra.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ed+sensor,1912

Alan
1970 Mach 1 Coyote powered restomod in progress. Started 10/2016.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...mod-build.html
2017 Mustang GT AT donor purchased 9/2017.
FFR MK4 sold 3/1/2018.

Last edited by Boss5Oh; 01-24-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page