Tailgating Jerks - usually in full-size Pickups - Rant alert! - Page 7 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 117Likes

post #91 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 09:30 PM

Garage
I only have one regular situation like any of this. To go to my place there is a street that has 2 lanes but the outside lane becomes a turn right only lane at the bottom of the hill. Everybody that lives here knows this and will even slow down often to let somebody move left EXCEPT for certain other drivers. They will whip out to the right in the right turn only lane, nail it in a 40 mph zone and run up to 60 or 80 just so they can get ahead of a car or 2 and then swing back over to the left, often cutting right in front of somebody to get back on the highway before the right lane runs totally out.

Well, I had enough of this behaviour because its dangerous, extremely aggravating and people that do this are, in my book, pretty much idiots. When I'm running along at 40 or 45 down the hill and have moved over to the left lane and its clear in front of me, when one of these people starts to swing over to the right turn only lane I floor it just because they are stupid. If they want it that bad they have to out run me. It usually is other pick up trucks that do this.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:33 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get tailgated at all, and I'm on the highway a lot.

I stay to the right unless I'm passing, stay between the posted limit up to about 10% above, and am always aware of ramps and merging traffic.

And yes, I *do* indeed have a rear view mirror and use it

John
gwstang likes this.

Do NOT send me a private message, email me directly:[email protected]
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...mustangftp.jpg
now sandblasted and DP40'd since this pic was taken.
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ngdriveway.jpg
a two legged hole shot, even with a munged up carb and snow tires...
post #93 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifter2 View Post
I have come to the conclusion that some people just cant handle driving with other cars on the road.

Winner winner Bojangles tailgater dinner.
gwstang and silverblueBP like this.

post #94 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 06:41 PM

Garage
There are other options

Just sayiní

Get off my back, get out of my pocket....

1965 2+2 painted (66) Vintage Burgundy, 1998 roller 5.0 with GT40P heads, plans are for Sniper, T5 and 3:55 rear.
post #95 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 07:49 PM

Garage
Guess some context would help...

Edit time lapsed...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D025457B-6281-4991-87AC-2842C36C54AA.jpg (170.9 KB, 10 views)

1965 2+2 painted (66) Vintage Burgundy, 1998 roller 5.0 with GT40P heads, plans are for Sniper, T5 and 3:55 rear.
post #96 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 08:32 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russstang View Post
Edit time lapsed...
I am a trunk monkey !

gwstang likes this.

supershifter2ô < !
post #97 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 08:34 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Del View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I don't get tailgated at all, and I'm on the highway a lot.

I stay to the right unless I'm passing, stay between the posted limit up to about 10% above, and am always aware of ramps and merging traffic.

John
Welcome to the good Sam saint club.

dobrostang and 2nd 66 like this.

supershifter2ô < !
post #98 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:

John

I get tailgated maybe 3 times a year. Considering I spend upwards of 2 hours a day in heavy - as in, 4 lanes of traffic heavy - that's not too bad IMO.

My personal hypothesis is that the types of people that "keep getting tailgated", or "keep getting cut off", or like one local guy - "got hit for the second time in the same roundabout"...are causing the issue. You can let that statement bother you - like all the tailgaters you collect in a day - or let it roll off your back and continue on with your life. Kind of what you should do in traffic. Your blood pressure will thank you.
John_Del likes this.

1966 Restomod/track car, 1973 Q-code Mach 1, 1997 F250 diesel, 2000 VW Beetle Rallycross car, 2010 Crown Vic (ex-City of Lakewood PD), 2015 Focus ST-2
post #99 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 09:21 PM

Garage
Mmmmmaybe, but if OP, or anyone else, is doing the speed limit or better and not camping out in the passing lane, then the tailgating is solely on the tailgater. Iím seldom tailgated because Iím quick and nimble and move through traffic fairly well. But...I have been behind a line of traffic, maintaining my safe following distance, cause thatís what I do, and have had folks ride right up my butt. Not sure what Iím supposed to do to alleviate the pain and anguish Iím causing them at this point, but I do have ideas. Anyway, donít necessarily buy that it is always the tailgateeís fault. Sometimes maybe, but not always. Some folks are just a$$h0!&$ and with the population growing they are becoming exponentially more apparent.
DrHawkeye and DrVett like this.

post #100 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Mmmmmaybe, but if OP, or anyone else, is doing the speed limit or better and not camping out in the passing lane, then the tailgating is solely on the tailgater. Iím seldom tailgated because Iím quick and nimble and move through traffic fairly well. But...I have been behind a line of traffic, maintaining my safe following distance, cause thatís what I do, and have had folks ride right up my butt. Not sure what Iím supposed to do to alleviate the pain and anguish Iím causing them at this point, but I do have ideas. Anyway, donít necessarily buy that it is always the tailgateeís fault. Sometimes maybe, but not always. Some folks are just a$$h0!&$ and with the population growing they are becoming exponentially more apparent.
It's not binary; that is - either those being tailgated are at fault or their not. But I think there are a couple of different issues. What constitutes being tailgated? I can't recall the last time I was tailgated but then I don't spend as much time on the highway as many of you guys. Still, I don't panic when another car is three lengths behind me at 60 mph even though he should be farther. Some people think they're being tailgated and others don't.

But when I do see others really being tailgated on the highway, the vast majority of those are indeed camped in the passing lane just passing their time doing the speed limit or under (who has a calibrated speedometer anyway?). Some drivers just move to the right and pass the rolling blockade but others refuse to pass on the right and insist the Left Lane Righteous Ruler move over. I'm the former type. I max out at about 5mph over the limit which is usually a bit slower than traffic usually goes, but I will usually just move over and pass on the right.

John

post #101 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 08:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
It's not binary; that is - either those being tailgated are at fault or their not.

John
Agree, but with one disclaimer. Tailgating, and Iím talking about a few feet/yards off someoneís rear bumper at highway speeds, is dangerous. Iíve seen it plenty, oddly enough itís young girls I see most often. Iím going to go out on a limb and say thereís a good chance a phone is in one hand, so thatís a highly dangerous and illegal act that has a high probability of an accident should something happen. Good citizens like us wonít be exempt from any ensuing carnage that may occur from the encounter between law breaking left lane dawdlers and righteous tailgating lane enforcers. Thus my earlier statement about driving defensively. Itís really your best option. Forrest said it best, ďStupid is as stupid doesĒ.

post #102 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Tailgating, and Iím talking about a few feet/yards off someoneís rear bumper at highway speeds, is dangerous. .
That is *the* definition of tailgating, and even doing this to Left Lane Righteous Rulers is dangerous and stupid. Of course, there are those that think they're being tailgated when someone is several car lengths behind them, but that's another issue.

And don't get me going on those who sit in front of their phones while, oh by the way, happen to be operating a motor vehicle at the same time.

Finally, I'm FURIOUS at myself for using "their" instead of "they're" in my previous post!!

John
Russstang and gwstang like this.

post #103 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 10:21 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by happystang View Post
It's just a side effect of small d!ck syndrome- brake check them and move on with your day
I used to be in your school of thought. Brake check them, and go, but these days everyone is so stoned that I am terrified they are going to go right through me because they are not even paying any attention.
Russstang and dobrostang like this.

post #104 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 10:31 AM

Garage
Had a city worker in a city truck decide he needed to turn right from the left lane just as I was passing him in the right lane. Itís a 4 lane road in town. Normally the left lane folks are making left turns and the right laners, right turns. Just subdivision houses on both sides. Guy never knew I was there. Good thing my spidy senses didnít fail me.

And yes, he was on his phone.

Mark
gwstang likes this.

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

post #105 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblueBP View Post
Why, yes it is time. Those of us in Southern Canada tend to the crops regardless of temperature.
Mark
Supposed to be 66F down here today and up to 70F the next few days....sorry.

Avg for this time of year is 57F daytime/low around 38F

Hell, I just might work on my garden...lol
subpar63 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page