Any idea what this white box is under my dash? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 22Likes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Any idea what this white box is under my dash?

This mystery box showed up on my service truck this morning. I'm wondering if it's some kind of GPS tracking device, anybody have a clue?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 07:30 PM

It’s plugged into the OBD port, so I’m going to guess that it tracks your speed, engine run time, etc. May be for insurance purposes, but may also be so your supervisor can keep an eye on you. I’d mind my Ps and Qs if I were you.

Found it....https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Con.../dp/B01JRBQ9PC
Huskinhano and c6fastback like this.

1966 GT 2+2 - 347, Edelbrock carb, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, 9 rear and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Follow me on Instacart

Last edited by Quicksilver66; 02-11-2019 at 07:38 PM.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 08:48 PM

Location: Formerly Sioux Falls, South Dakota - Now Silverhill, Alabama USA
Looks like big brother, or an insecure manager.....me, I'd be browsing the help wanted ads

John

John Goettsch

My First Mustang

Transformed 2017: (Thanks 22GT)
66 FB C Code Upgraded to HiPo+
Autolite 4100 1.12 - 4-Speed Toploader
3.55 True-Trac - Koni Adjustables
Z-Member - Arvinode Exhaust

66 FB C Code C4
Code U Tahoe Turquoise Metallic
White/Aqua Pony Interior

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 08:52 PM

Yep, big brother. Some ins. co offer something similar in exchange for lower rates. Thats kinda crappy to just slip it in on you. LOL @ the "Alexa Skill" functions.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 09:27 PM

Garage
With Alexa, I would expect that all sounds inside the cab are also subject to monitoring by the boss. This means you have zero expectation of privacy while in the cab.

You may be paranoid, but they are spying on you !!
subpar63 and bbmach like this.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:05 AM

They make some extender cables that allow them to be mounted safely out of the way of knees, boots etc that can make contact and damage them when getting in and out. This one looks like it is in a precarious location, in my truck I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't get kicked loose or such.
rpm, gt350sr and 1ofAMillion+ like this.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 12:02 PM

Pull it off, take it to your supervisor and just ask "the mechanics seemed to have left this in my truck". See what happens.

Roddster
67 GT 350: MCA & SAAC Gold winner
67 S code GTA coupe
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 02:31 PM

Garage
Was it in your truck or you employer's truck? If you're truck and you didn't put it there yank it and toss it. If it's a company truck go ask your boss what it's for. If it's your employer's truck there isn't much you can do about it unless your employment contract prohibits monitoring/tracking employees movements. If it is a company truck and you are a union employee and really bothers you complain to your union steward.

Big Jim

'68 GT/CS
'69 Camaro
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:24 PM

I'm a little surprised at the responses in that the GPS trackers are becoming much more the norm than the look for another place of employment because big brother is watching me.

I would like to see some of the questions answered before I respond further, for example, if this is a personal vehicle and you didn't know it was on there as opposed to a Company that is now tracking it's vehicles.

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:41 PM

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

I work as an HVAC tech and typically I am the one that drives this company truck. I looked through the rest of the company service trucks and I didn't see anything similar to this one. After reading the other comments I'm wondering if my conversations are being eves dropped.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 10:24 PM
Dimples

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson68 View Post
After reading the other comments I'm wondering if my conversations are being eves dropped.
That is unlikely. It is more likely a tracker of location and driving habits.
vegasloki likes this.

The anvil of reality.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 10:54 PM

Location: I bounce between The Texas Hill Country & far North Idaho
I employed them on every of my O&G projects abroad. It forced folks to abide by the safety requirements of the company and the specific project. Worked like a charm too. You should be pleased your company cares about you so.
vegasloki likes this.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 11:05 PM

If it's a company owned truck there isn't anything you can do. You have no expectation of privacy when you are on or in company property. It's different than when you are at home. It's been upheld in several courts. If you own the vehicle they'll need to get your permission to do so. If you refuse you could be fired or not able to use your own vehicle. Best practice (and the polite thing to do) is to let employees know but there is no federal legal obligation to do so.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 11:19 PM

I drive around in a service van owned by a fortune 500 company. We have GPS tracking, but they didn't hide it from us. It is mentioned during the interview. We supposedly use it to aid in scheduling service calls, but I am skeptical. If we drive 10mph over the speed limit for more than 5 minutes, we get a phone call from someone in the corporate headquarters. If I found out they were recording my conversations though, I would have a great time with them until they fired me. For this same reason, I still have my own cell phone, even though they supply me with one. I choose to keep work and personal stuff separate.
65fstbpieces likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page