If you drive in LA - Vintage Mustang Forums
 19Likes
Closed Thread

post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
If you drive in LA

Well the city council has apparently tasked the metro transit authority to cattle prod most everybody out of your personal vehicles and in to public transportation.

It wasn't enough to just tax people by how many miles you drive because a lot of people will just suck it up, drive and pay the tax. The plan being looked at is to GPS track all personal vehicles in the target area and on the target highways/freeways 24/7 and accumulate penalties for driving your personal vehicle. They may also clock how much time you spend on that particular stretch of highway and the penalty will be pro-rated by what time of day you are on the penalty road.

So, you are out there in your vehicle on a target highway trying to drive to work at a brisk pace of about 2 miles per hour. Imagine how much that is going to cost you 2 times a day, 5 times a week and so on in rush hour traffic. It will be so expensive that most average people won't want to pay it. Wealthy people won't care.

They claim that this is for the 2028 Olympics specifically but I don't believe that. Right now since it is the MTA it is obviously targetting metro LA but I could see this going county and then state wide so we don't leave the CTA out of the deal or other large metro's in California.

I guess those green electric vehicles are not going to be an advantage any more. They are also looking to penalize Uber and Lyft so you can't dodge this using them either. The public transportation fees are probably going to have to go up to compensate for the lost gas purchase revenues. You will have to pay the MTA. Its not like they have given you any other choice now unless you build your own personal flying car of some sort.

I haven't found any information on old vehicles that don't have GPS. You are likely going to have to install it if this gets approved. If they can assemble the tech to make it work, I am confident that it will be approved. Also, people that don't pay their vehicle penalties are likely to get their license pulled. I can see a booming future market for vehicle GPS blockers, LOL. If they track your vehicles and your use of public transportation though you will likely get caught sooner or later.
Huntingky likes this.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation

Last edited by macstang; 03-23-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 02:50 PM

^ This will never happen.
Brent likes this.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:49 PM

WTF, pardon my French. We moved from CA to AZ in 2016, couldn't be happier. I did not think it could get worse than the Brown administration, guess I was really wrong on that one. There was once talk of CA seceding from the US. When you consider the excessive sound ordinance, highway taxes, and now big brother taxing your driving too, they are going to drive the wealthy, educated, retired, and working folks from the state. It won't be necessary to declare CA a sanctuary state as the only residents will be illegal and the liberal politicians.
Sparky66 likes this.

Alan
1970 Mach 1 Coyote powered restomod in progress. Started 10/2016.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...mod-build.html
2017 Mustang GT AT donor purchased 9/2017.
FFR MK4 sold 3/1/2018.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:50 PM
Supporting Member

the mta is pissed because most of their riders are illegal aliens. when jerry brown allowed them to get a drivers license they bought cars and stopped ridding the buses. mta will loose a lot of its tax subsidies so they want another way to make money. also when the illegals got a drivers license the ones that live 1/2 mile from me clogged up our street with their cars cause they have about 10 people living in each apartment.
btw activist Jay Bieber is on the board at our neighborhood council. Jay has been fighting against and is on the John and Ken show on KFI radio AM 640 sometimes. John and Ken are also fighting this mileage tracking stuff.

supershifter2™ < !

Last edited by supershifter2; 03-23-2019 at 03:59 PM.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:52 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss5Oh View Post
the Brown administration

supershifter2™ < !
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 04:54 PM

I must be physic, I foresaw this coming about ten years ago and left. Actually they can't let Oregon, or Cal North as some call it, get all the glory on highway tolls and taxes.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss5Oh View Post
they are going to drive the wealthy, educated, retired, and working folks from the state.
On a smaller scale IMO, this is one of the reasons for the decline of Detroit. Very few people with means will stay. Just my .02

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:24 PM

People will keep moving to California. Best weather, best economy.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:26 PM

D432B27E-E1CE-4615-BD6F-60E183C4F543.jpeg

Wasn’t worried about it till I saw this the other day. A GPS licsense plate.

1965 Coupe
1968 Cougar
2012 Gt
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:29 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miging65 View Post
Attachment 701950

Wasn’t worried about it till I saw this the other day. A GPS licsense plate.
some fools have volunteered for the pilot program. FOOLS !
Rebel Racing and subpar63 like this.

supershifter2™ < !
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 07:38 PM

Garage
Did a search.. cant find anything more recent on a “per mile tax” in CA... any other source on some of this? I’m inclined to agree with @GT289, not happening
Miging65 likes this.

-Chris

'68 Mustang
347ci that has a lot of neat stuff in it
T5 manual trans, alum driveshaft, 9" w/3.70 gears
Suspension parts from SoT, Global West, Maier Racing, and a few others. Works for me!
TCP manual rack (love it)
EPAS (Love this the most)
VWW V45 wheels (like these too)
SoT 13" brakes (stopping is good)
And I finally got a paint job!
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 08:22 PM

Trust me. I can't tell you how I know, but I know.... regarding macstang's original post.
And in general the state's BS tends to be more insidious because it's conducted with more subterfuge.
(like SB1, rider bill attacks on Prop 13 and the DMV's special smog screening via STAR and mobile dyno)

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 08:29 PM

Some people will believe anything...

Loosen the foil and get some facts. You guys need to give the California bashing a rest. It comes from people that have never been there, never lived there or know nothing about it. The post is so not right it's not even wrong.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I lived and worked in SoCal for 10 years and about a forth of my entire career in systems and technology at Toyota, USA in Torrance. They are in Plano now. The truth is not bashing. California is now rated dead last in the country for quality of life. Getting people out of their private vehicles is part of agenda 2030 which California has adopted. Never say it can never happen here.
j persons and Boss5Oh like this.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus91326 View Post
People will keep moving to California. Best weather, best economy.

That's strange. A month ago I drove from Yucaipa to Texas on I10 and passed a few U-Hauls and pickups loaded down with household goods heading eastbound. I didn't see a single one headed westbound. It appears the only people moving to CA are the illegals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page