Value of a model 4 cylinder 4 stroke glow plug engine. - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By JRFox

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Value of a model 4 cylinder 4 stroke glow plug engine.

I purchased this engine from eBay UK in 2004 and I think I am going to sell it. I think I paid about £500 for it which with today's exchange rate is about $658.

This is an absolutely loaded question as I am in a different country and these things are only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. Does anyone have any experience of the value of these things?

It has been scratch built. I am pretty sure it was not made from a kit, but I could be wrong. Whoever made it is very skilled and it is nothing short of a work of art. This is a fully functioning engine and I have no reason to think it would not run. It is a glow plug engine, so no ignition system is needed apart from a low voltage on the glow plugs to get it started. It would run on special glow fuel.

It is about 6.5" long, 4" tall and 2.5" wide.

I have seen vintage scratch built single cylinder 4 stroke model engines sell for a fair bit of money, so I would like to think this is worth more. There is a company in the US that makes mini V8 engines and they sell for thousands. You could build a nice real engine for less money for your Mustang.

As I am going to sell it, I completely stripped it down to take lots of pictures for my memory of what I had. And it is now back together again. Here is a selection of key pictures. I have loads more if anyone wants to see something in particular.

Grabber70Mach and Huntingky like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:15 AM

Garage
That is an amazing little engine. I am sorry I have no valuation to share with you, but simply wanted to comment on what an awesome piece of machinery you have. Good luck.

-Chris

'68 Mustang
347ci that has a lot of neat stuff in it
T5 manual trans, alum driveshaft, 9" w/3.70 gears
Suspension parts from SoT, Global West, Maier Racing, and a few others. Works for me!
TCP manual rack (love it)
EPAS (Love this the most)
VWW V45 wheels (like these too)
SoT 13" brakes (stopping is good)
And I finally got a paint job!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:32 AM

The value of the man's time who built it is much more than what you paid but as far as current worth? It's worth what a willing buyer is willing to pay.
I have seen videos of those hand built engines running and it is quite amazing what they will do. I believe I have even seen a V12 much like the Rolls Royce Merlin.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:51 AM

No idea of value but really neat! Now you need to build a miniature locomotive or saw mill around it.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page